Alice Hoffman

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Testament

Alice Hoffman

Post by Testament »

A lot of you have probably heard of her already, and I'm sure all of you have heard of the movie Practical Magic (it's mentioned in the forum description, after all!). Well, that's based off of a book by Alice Hoffman, but while the movie is enjoyable IMO, the book is so much better! It's far more realistic and very touching. The woman who sold it to me smiled and held the book to her heart for a moment before giving it away.

Another wonderful work of hers is Green Angel. It makes no mention of magick or witchcraft, but there certainly are 'witchy' and magical elements. It's also achingly beautiful, though absolutely must be read all the way through! It's short, however. I must advise that it might be a bit too poignant for anyone suffering a recent loss, and even if you haven't; it it so powerful you might have to read it in several small sittings.

If anyone can recommend any of her other works to me, preferably tell me a bit about them without spoilers, I would appreciate it very much.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”