Silver Ravenwolf (Opinions liking or disliking wanted!)

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Vigdisdotter
Banned Member

Re: Silver Ravenwolf (Opinions liking or disliking wanted!)

Post by Vigdisdotter »

North Star wrote:
Vigdisdotter wrote:I take it to mean YOU don't recognize frost giants (jotan) as a bad thing to call on. Never mind that the culturally relevant lore they come from is quite emphatic about their disdain for humans and attempts to invade Midgard.
No, not really. I don't recognize 'frost giants' though in any way...not part of my magick.
That in no way changes what she advises in her books or the nature of the jotan. Just because they aren't part of YOUR magic, doesn't mean they cease to exist or that others won't try calling on them.
North Star wrote:As for kids lying to their parents... we have lots of young adults here on this site who come here for support and advice, and we do support them.
Jeopardizing a child's relationship with their parent's isn't "supportive". It's parental interference and it's legally actionable. Never mind the many possible repercussions for the child in question when their parents find out about the lying. While a lot will get off with stern lectures, grounding and maybe having bible verses thrown at them, others will be very lucky if all that happens is they are kicked out of the house.

The gods will still be there when they have a place of their own where they can make their own rules. Suggesting otherwise is very dangerous, since as you pointed out, many don't have open-minded parents.
charmecia5

Re: Silver Ravenwolf (Opinions liking or disliking wanted!)

Post by charmecia5 »

Hmmmmm.....what can I say about Silver Ravenwolf? She was one of the first authors that got me into witchcraft and magic (although the fist book I read was Titania's book of Love Spells by Titania Hardie, which I owned a copy of when I was 16 years old at the time). I do like her writing style and there are some books I like by her (such as her Halloween book and her To Ride a Silver Broomstick).

I personally don't hold nothing against her...though I will admit ..I was not fond of Teen Witch. It reminded me of a mixture of some Twilight with little bits of The Craft and Harry Potter. And some of the spells were quite ridiculous but funny. And the whole lying to your parents thing is kinda bad (especially if the parents are on the strict side), but that's just my opinion.

I do recommend her To Ride a Silver Broomstick book. It's got some pretty good information and is good for those new to the Craft. Just as a word of advice, when it comes to her referencing the Burning Times, try to do some research on it (cause I really doubt that 9 million witches were burned at the stake...wouldn't that wipe out humanity and make it impossible to survive?).

Right now I'm reading some of her books that I got, which is To Stir a Magic Cauldron (which one of my friends recommended, and To Light a Sacred Flame). Other than that, I don't really have nothing against her.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”