Misinformed Television.

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Imiko
Banned Member

Misinformed Television.

Post by Imiko »

The other day I came across and interesting show called 'Deadliest Women'. I found this topic interesting and watched it. It was about the few Women whom of which committed terrible Murders. It was actually rather attention sucking, and I watched till just about the end. That's where things got a little annoying.

The Last one was about These two girls who's father was brutally murdered, and apparently they had a 'Vampire' friend. As in a Real Vampire, which she could have been, but still. There was very....*Twitch*.....Annoying Dramatizations. You saw her pour what looked to be 'Blood' into her mouth and all over her face, it was rather... stupid. Oh, and here's where it gets worse.

The point of the show was to get the facts and truths out. So You could Imagine my Infuriating at the fact that they said she dabbled in Satanism, and held a Book of Shadows in her hand, looking as if she was reading it with a PENTAGRAM on the bottom corner.

I immediately turned the channel. I can't STAND it when shows that are supposed to do RESEARCH into something and post LIES that make the world think even less of us. They had all the exact details of every thing else, and yet they couldn't look into what was really going on within a 'Vampire's' Mind?!?! NOOO! They just HAD to go off and make it all up, play it by EAR.

Anyone else extremely annoyed by all of this? I mean, they had the resources. WHY didn't they look into it? That's just my little rant for the day. ;)
HonorRose
Banned Member

Post by HonorRose »

Well, Satanists use pentagrams too. Almost all magic-using religions do. Satanic ones are usually inverted though.
Imiko
Banned Member

Post by Imiko »

That's the thing, It wasn't a Symbol used by Satanists. That's why I'm mad. =3
)(Apollo the Good)(
Banned Member

dumb

Post by )(Apollo the Good)( »

The media truly has invented a terrible picture of what witches and "witchcraft" are. Perhaps they are simply afraid of the unknown, because they certainly don't know the truth.

We are here to spread blessings in our lives and in the lives of others! (Most of us are lol ;) ) Everyone needs to focus on their own Path instead of judging the Path's of others!

:D
HallowHim

Post by HallowHim »

look imiko, pentagram is also a symbol in satanic religion or much more is like a seck i don't belive that this is religion.when i first came in this forum i never heard about pagans tradition,and all my life i though that pentagram have to do with satanists,because they use pentagram when they do ritual sacrifice to lucifer.
HonorRose
Banned Member

Post by HonorRose »

Satanists don't make sacrifices to Lucifer, like, ever. There are always the few extremists, but most of the time it's just the same negative stereotyping witches get.

Satanists use the inverted pentagram to represent divine knowledge entering into the human mind through the crown chakra.

I am increasingly irritated with all the negative stereotyping about every religion everywhere. Witches aren't evil, Satanists aren't evil, Islamic terrorists aren't evil, not even Christians are evil; it's just that everyone is convinced that they're right. The way the media portrays all these religions by emphasizing the few insane extremists just makes me sick.
Imiko
Banned Member

Post by Imiko »

HonorRose wrote:Satanists don't make sacrifices to Lucifer, like, ever. There are always the few extremists, but most of the time it's just the same negative stereotyping witches get.

Satanists use the inverted pentagram to represent divine knowledge entering into the human mind through the crown chakra.

I am increasingly irritated with all the negative stereotyping about every religion everywhere. Witches aren't evil, Satanists aren't evil, Islamic terrorists aren't evil, not even Christians are evil; it's just that everyone is convinced that they're right. The way the media portrays all these religions by emphasizing the few insane extremists just makes me sick.
I Completely agree with this. No one's Religion is a 'Lie'. Nor is it 'Wrong'. Everyone is Equal and has the choice to Worship their own God(s)/ Goddess(S). I makes me sick as well. Why must there be so much... Misinformation in the world today? EVERYONE IS EQUAL. NO RELIGION IS WRONG. That is what I believe.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

The Taliban is (what you said).
Imalorki
Banned Member

Post by Imalorki »

Satanists and Wiccans are a lot of like. Celebrate life and that of flesh. Don't have inhibitions about celebration. Think of both religions on a coin...not on one side and the other but on the same side but one angle is Wiccan while the other is on another angle. One should look from above at both. I've been researching Satanism and that is what I've come up with so far. It isn't necessarily evil...nothing is just plain evil. Its point of perspective...

but yeah...vampires exist just not in the ways depicted in movies and books. Nothing so stereotypical. Anyone that thinks that only humans and Fay exist is delusional...if they're happy with that then great...but its ignorance.

Anything in media that is not human is generally put down as misconception. I haven't really seen ones that were accurate. If you know of any point it out please
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

What channel was that on? Lifetime? lol
Crowfeather
Banned Member

Post by Crowfeather »

The inverted pentagram is much like the inverted cross: rumored to be bad so often, it's almost become the truth.

The inverted cross was supposed to show humility towards christ, acknowledging you're a sinner. I wanted to wear one for the longest when I was christian, because all the idiots down here think they're holy, cause they wear a cross. They then spit on anyone they want and claim they're in the right because they go to church 2 times a week! Grrrr....

But the point of my post is that "satanic" people (aka people in death metal bands trying to be hardcore to gain fanbase) corrupted holy symbols to make it their own.

But I never did wear one, and I'll probably never associate myself with the inverted pentagram or pentacle, for the same reason: It's way too hard to explain to people that it's not evil.

That's why sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction, at least to non magickal eyes.
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

Monotheism runs the media you guys are beat...no worries fox news says atheist should be mocked and treated like trolls.
TaciRain
Banned Member

Post by TaciRain »

Crowfeather wrote:The inverted pentagram is much like the inverted cross: rumored to be bad so often, it's almost become the truth.
The inverted cross was supposed to show humility towards christ, acknowledging you're a sinner. I wanted to wear one for the longest when I was christian, because all the idiots down here think they're holy, cause they wear a cross. They then spit on anyone they want and claim they're in the right because they go to church 2 times a week! Grrrr....
But the point of my post is that "satanic" people (aka people in death metal bands trying to be hardcore to gain fanbase) corrupted holy symbols to make it their own.
But I never did wear one, and I'll probably never associate myself with the inverted pentagram or pentacle, for the same reason: It's way too hard to explain to people that it's not evil.
That's why sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction, at least to non magickal eyes.
i completely understand that. i bought a really cool triple moon )0( necklace a few months ago thinking it wouldnt really be recognized as a religious symbol but more of a "cool necklace" kinda deal nothing outta the norm. lol. i swear the first day i wore it i wore it to my 75 year old grandmothers house. i swear as soon as i walked in the door and sat down next to her she asked about it and i told her it was a necklace i bought on ebay that i thought was cool and really well priced. sure enough she goes on a speel about how its a satanic symbol and that i wasnt allowed to wear it in her house and i shouldnt fool with things i didnt know about.

I love my grandmother to death, but she isnt exactly well-educated on certain topics. like she thinks that all hispanics are mexicans, new mexico isnt part of the us but part of mexico, and anyone with darker skin than ours is either mexican or black. i was really suprised she recognized this as a religious symbol...may not be the correct religon but still. lol.
Imiko
Banned Member

Post by Imiko »

wrote:What channel was that on? Lifetime? lol
PFFFFT! XD Go ! Can't remember what Channel it was on... I was flipping through a bunch of shows. Never-the-less, it still bothered me to the point of ranting about it. The Dramatizations were just STUPID, and the Implications of Satanism being Witchcraft and anything else to do with it CLEARLY stated that the man who produced/made the show was christian taught.
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Isn't Deadliest women on WE?

Womens entertainment?

I think it is. :) I've seen some pretty crazy episodes on there. Lol
.You are Beautiful.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”