Recommend good "witchy" music?

Share your favorite music and videos here.
L.J.Hex

Recommend good "witchy" music?

Post by L.J.Hex »

I was searching for something nice to listen while writing. I bet some of you know some good music for anything witchy? ambient for rituals? Something to listen to while writing or mediating? Anything with a good vibe goes. :D

Just use text links, I see the what are you listening to thread got locked for having too many video links or something.

Be blessed you awesome bunch. :flyingwitch:
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
Lenaleanna

Re: Recommend good "witchy" music?

Post by Lenaleanna »

Oooooo I love this question... lol... My daughter just got me interested in Pandora and I found a channel- The Artists that I have found and liked just for this are...
Lisa Thiel ... The Civil Wars ... Stevie Nicks Those are only a few that I can think of off the top of my head right now...
I hope this helps- I post more when I can... back to the chores...

Lena
When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don't let go.
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Lenaleanna wrote:Oooooo I love this question... lol... My daughter just got me interested in Pandora and I found a channel- The Artists that I have found and liked just for this are...
Lisa Thiel ... The Civil Wars ... Stevie Nicks Those are only a few that I can think of off the top of my head right now...
I hope this helps- I post more when I can... back to the chores...

Lena
Oh yea! :D I've found two nice playlists of the stuff, now I think I found a third one, but this has sort of a dark tone to it. No problem for me as some times I like it. I'm fairly certain there's nice people here who know where to dig for good music.

And thanks for your advice, I'll check these channels out. :mrgreen:
tourennatrix

Post by tourennatrix »

I go for more of a viking vibe with Heilung, Wardruna, Eivor, Sowulo, and Valravn... Good stuff! Some of it is dark and stormy, others are more mystical. Lots of powerful female voices.

For more of a Celtic sound, you can seed a station with Loreena McKennit, can't go wrong there. Throw in some Arcana and Sound Ambassador for some good drums that cross the bridge between tribal and Indian

I also like to mix in some songs from movie and video game soundtracks. The Witcher has songs that sound great in my viking playlist, Skyrim is a good choice, as well as a little gem called Journey. Journey is just beautiful. Braveheart and similar movies are a good place to look. And of course Harry Potter has found its way into my Yule and Samhain playlists to add a little enchantment :)

Looking forward to seeing what other people suggest!
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Inkubus Sukkubus is a really good pagan band. They cover topics you will love.

Godsmack, Sully Erna is a practicing witch. It overlaps sometimes in his music.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Loreena McKennit and Wardruna I'm already familiar with, awesome stuff. :D

Thanks for the tips, that's already heck of a list to check out. By the way, the soundtrack from the Eschalon game series has something that could hit the spot too. Its been a while since I listened (or played) any of that, but some really does it for me, check it out. Just search on YT with Eschalon Soundtrack.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I've probably mentioned it before, but Faun and Omnia ROCK pagan music.
worship.gif
worship.gif (2.72 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
::coolglasses::
Wardruna is cool and Loreena McKennit was my first favorite, my daughter and I got to see her in L.A. a couple few years ago and got to get a photo with her! :fairy:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Funny that you guys mention Loreena McKennit, I found her music by chance just days prior. I really like what she does. I'm yet to listen more, there's one album I have been playing over and over.
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

I mentioned Eschalon games, so here, listen to this! There's some VERY powerful music written for these games and the mood is very fitting for what ever witchy stuff you're up to. Very different kinds of songs too, some are light and happy, others heavy and dark. Its mostly medieval/fantasy style ambient.

EDIT:
Specially the Eschalon Book II main theme is hair raisingly awesome. Gives chills upon your spine. The melody on the main theme of each game is just plain mind blowing.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

firebirdflys wrote:Loreena McKennit was my first favorite, my daughter and I got to see her in L.A. a couple few years ago and got to get a photo with her! :fairy:
How was she up-close? Was there too much sadness inside her?

I've seen her performance twice in Vienna. 2012 & 2017

2012 she was a bit nervous and best part of concert was Marsh & Hughes exchanging solos on Bonny Swans.

2017 she played a new song about Irish people being forced to abandon their families ... she uttered a singing scream so deep it echoed in soul ... fantastic performance only I missed that Marsh didn't come to play on the violin.

2019 this spring she came again but I didn't go eventually... one thing I really missed on those shows is that people just sat at the concert, like in a theater. You totally have to dance to her music!
I bit regret not going she came only with trio Marsh-Hughes-Lavelle and I can only wonder how many solos they were adding in the interplays.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Ermm...

Clannad (especially magical ring)?
Damh the bard?
The Dolmen?
Robin Williamson (Glint of kindling & five bardic mysteries)?
Strigon?

Loreena McKennits live album (from the alhambra) is really good.

Inkubus Sukkubus (who I'm lucky enough to have seen live twice) are great.

*If jumping the fire is more your kind of Samhain ritual, check out Abonos's cover of Loreena McKennits 'All Souls Night" ;)
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

& Kate Bush! although just some songs are witchy such as Night of the Swallow, Lily, Sensual World

Natascha Atlas - Foretold in the language of dreams cd
Eleanor McEvoy - lol she's so Aquarius
Tri Yann (I only listen to this live version of this song but it has more fire then any other pagan song I ever heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL8JedSwpp0 )
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

It doesn't get more witchy than this: Hedningarna - Täss' on Nainen. (Here's a woman/lady.)

Its a spell, the way its sung, the lyrics... Its like Finnish spells are like, produced through ehtno/folk modern sound. Btw, the lead vocalist is the mother of my brothers two eldest daughters.

The song is actually like a power raising spell or a conjuring, this can work in a power raising ritual as it is. For a male singing just sing "täss' on äijä." Äijä is an old finnish word which either means a old/strong man or in modern slang its like tough/cool guy of sorts.

I've used this very song some times when I'm preparing for spellwork. Love it.

SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Yay that is a great song

what/who is the fay under the aspen?
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

SL wrote:Yay that is a great song

what/who is the fay under the aspen?
It sure is.

The song doesn't specify, but what is translated as fay, the common word for that is haltia, (Bearer/owner of something.)
which is synonymous with tonttu = guardian spirit of a house/sauna/forest/water and so on, this is very integral part of old finnish tradition. I think in the context of the song, the person singing is summoning a nature spirit or a guardian who just happens to live under an aspen tree. They're commonly told to live underground and the most usual apparition of such spirit is a small person. Like faeries, its very bad idea to anger one, make friends and you've got yourself a powerful helper. :flyingwitch:

I could sure see a witch calling that kind of spirit to his or her aid. :mrgreen:

Return to “Music & Videos”