Ancestry DNA tests

Got a joke; A weird story? Like to travel? Like Games or quizzes? Well this is a place for that.
Silas Nightfall

Re: Ancestry DNA tests

Post by Silas Nightfall »

Funny thing about roots. The roots of a forest eventually grow together. A forest is actually one organism. And so it is with humans. Eventually, our roots come from a single source too. Of course you have roots, you wouldn’t be here otherwise. Lol.

RosieMoonflower

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I did finally get my results in. I didn't really learn anything new though. My results are as follows:

69% England, Wales, & Northwestern Europe
25% Ireland & Scotland
3% Native American
%3 Sweden

The only part I wasn't expecting was the Sweden part. It must had come from my dad because it didn't show up on my mom's test. It was my curiosity about my Dad's linage which was a mystery and really all I got was that he's got a tiny bit of Swedish and more Irish than my mom which is funny because my mom has red hair and he doesn't! I did have someone from my dad's side reach out to me, like a 3rd or 4th cousin to me, and that was pretty cool! She filled me in on some Family Tree mistakes I had made so that was very helpful in that aspect.

Now, after I did my test it sparked major curiosity for my husband to do it, plus I also hoped some family member of his would reach out and help me fill in gaps on his tree as well so I encouraged him and he did his too. His father always was told he had native american and his grandmother on his mom's side told me her grandmother was a Cherokee Indian woman and there is even a book published on her family that would back that story up. However, my husbands results were as follows:

61% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe
36% Ireland and Scotland
2% Germanic Europe
1% Finland

So no Native American. Yes, that doesn't mean family history is false, just that no DNA was passed on to my husband. However, I find it unlikely his father's side actually did. I believe the story from the book, but the DNA just didn't make it all the way down to him. No one expected to see Finland so that was interesting. And, based on the fact that his first cousin on his mom's side also took the test and you can compare their results, we can make assumptions that the German and the Finland both come from his dad.

The craziest thing that came from his test is actually a DNA match of a first cousin I don't recognize.. This is actually been weighing on my mind heavily lately. We've all heard about DNA test exposing family secrets but we never think it could happen to us. Well, the test will show possible relationships to others who have taken the test. This person and my husband have the following possible relationships: 1st cousin or half uncle. Based on his age I'm guessing it's half uncle. Meaning he's my father in law's half brother and his mom had a baby no one knows about. To make things more confirming of this, the guy has it listed on his profile that he was adopted. I haven't even told my husband yet. I just don't know how my father in law is going to react. I'm waiting for the guys to reach out to us first I guess. It shows he last logged in 8 days ago, so I feel it's only a matter of time. I feel guilty since this was all my idea and I encouraged my husband to do it. But, at the same time, I don't feel this guy should not know who his parents were if he wants to know. I know it wouldn't be right for my father in law to be upset with me, but I'm just wondering if he'll be upset I exposed his mother's secret.

Rosie

Silas Nightfall

Let sleeping dogs lie. It doesn’t change who you are.

RosieMoonflower

Silas Nightfall wrote:Let sleeping dogs lie. It doesn’t change who you are.
And is that what I am suppose to reply to the gentleman when he asks if we can help him find who is mother was?? No, I think I’ll be more sensitive than that.

Rosie

Silas Nightfall

Oh! He asked? Hm, different situation then. I dunno. Meditate and ask for guidance?

RosieMoonflower

Silas Nightfall wrote:Oh! He asked? Hm, different situation then. I dunno. Meditate and ask for guidance?
He hasn’t asked yet, but I expect him to. Because of the way the site works I can see he logged into his account about 8 days ago, meaning he hasn’t see the connection to my husband yet. He will the next time he logs in, and I expect him to ask. He may not, but why would he even be doing the test and logging in if he didn’t care enough to ask. It will all be alright. It may even end up being good and not upsetting anyone. I will wait for him to reach out and plan to help him find answers if he does.

Rosie

Return to “Fun things”