What are you reading?

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Vesca

What are you reading?

Post by Vesca »

So what book(s) are you currently reading? Let us get to know each other and our interests, and maybe even add a book or two to our own reading lists.

I'll start:

Ironside by Holly Black, third book in the Tithe trilogy.
Blackthorn

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Blackthorn »

I'm currently in the midst of reading Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles. I read his Arthurian legends before and really enjoyed his dedication to historical accuracy. Of course, a lot of things are fabricated as it IS historical fiction, but generally a lot of little details were thoroughly researched. For those that are curious, his Saxon Chronicles take place during Alfred the Great's rise to power, strengthening of Wessex, and eventual realization of England.

I LOVE Medieval history and adore these books :)
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Right now I'm wending my way through Cosmos by Carl Sagan. Not actually my usual genre and a lot of it - especially discussions of mathematical formulas - goes right over my head, but it's an interesting read. I particularly enjoy his positive outlook toward the human race; I find it refreshing.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Shadowheart by Barclay.

Elf - focused fantasy fiction. :)
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

I'm on the second book of The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. :)

Don't let the "paranormal romance" hooks on the back fool you-- these books can get pretty serious, substantial, and lots of Welsh mythology to boot! (And yeah, there is some paranormal romance. It's fun.)

PLUS, there's a house full of witches that are actually portrayed mostly accurately and positively; you can tell that the author is familiar with the concepts of divination, rituals, using herbs in magic, etc.

They're really good books so far, I could hardly put the first one down, I highly recommend to any reader. :D

~Falcon
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

Re reading old books atm so the black dagger brotherhood series and Harry Potter
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

If anyone has an ereader, or is willing to download the free amazon ereader app for their computer, this is a free book I'd really recommend reading. It basically immerses you in some Druidry, the book is based on an archaeological discovery of a "druid prince" who had been sacrificed at around the time that area was being invaded as a means of deterring the invaders (I think it was England? My history is a bit rusty).

Not bad for a free read though:

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Arlene-Radask ... ds=the+fox
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

A clockwork Orange - Burgess
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

Vesca wrote:If anyone has an ereader, or is willing to download the free amazon ereader app for their computer, this is a free book I'd really recommend reading. It basically immerses you in some Druidry, the book is based on an archaeological discovery of a "druid prince" who had been sacrificed at around the time that area was being invaded as a means of deterring the invaders (I think it was England? My history is a bit rusty).

Not bad for a free read though:

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Arlene-Radask ... ds=the+fox
Thanks for the recommendation, Vesca! I'm always down for some druidry smiley_dance
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

You'll never believe it,
I had been searching for a series of 3 books that I loved as a kid...even when my daughter was young I searched for it, even asking the librarian at the times I went searching, no one ever know what I was talking about.
Anyway back in February when I was at my Moms I went to the library where she lives and looked in the kiddie section, I asked again of the librarian," I'm looking for a book about a kid who flies on a dragon to an island, and I don't know the name or the author." She had an idea right away and led me to the spot.
WAHOOOOO that was it! I right away recognized the illustrations :D
recently went to my library and checked it out....do you guys remember this?
My Fathers Dragon, Elmer and the Dragon, and The Dragons of Blueland, by Ruth Stiles Gannett
cute books...real fast read!
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

I'm usually in reading a few books at a time. I can be so terrible. But I do so love books. My in progress books are Emma by Jane Austen, Lord of the Rings (I tried so hard as a kid to read that and the hobbit, long before the movies...so boring! but I'm attempting again!) The Eye of Minds by James Dashner. I'm also usually reading a Harry Potter book. Currently on the 4th one. Oh and Scott Cunningham's Earth, Air, Fire, & Water. :) That might be more than a few books...lol
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

Thistle wrote:I'm usually in reading a few books at a time. I can be so terrible. But I do so love books. My in progress books are Emma by Jane Austen, Lord of the Rings (I tried so hard as a kid to read that and the hobbit, long before the movies...so boring! but I'm attempting again!) The Eye of Minds by James Dashner. I'm also usually reading a Harry Potter book. Currently on the 4th one. Oh and Scott Cunningham's Earth, Air, Fire, & Water. :) That might be more than a few books...lol
LotR is a great passion of mine, but I understand the books aren't for everyone. That said, I've read through the books at least 12 times and find it an enjoyable experience each and every time. But there is one section of the books (I don't want to post spoilers, just in case)- that I skip over entirely now, because I find it so uninteresting! I'm kind of ashamed to admit it. But I've read them so many times, and the Histories of Middle Earth, and Silmarillion, etc.- that I feel like maybe it's ok for me not to like this particular section. :oops:

But good luck in your read!! How are you finding the Cunningham book? The only one I've ever read by him was the Solitary Practitioner one; not sure if I should continue through his works.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Forests of the Vampire

again, for probably the 50th time.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Faeries of the Celtic Lands
eed232612

Post by eed232612 »

I'm rereading The Prince by Machiavelli. It's definitely one of my favorite works. I've also been rereading the leviathan by Hobbes.

Return to “Book Reviews”