Insomnia

Dreams, dream interpretation, sleep paralysis, night terrors, hearing voices, vibrations, etc.
korbin

Insomnia

Post by korbin »

Hi. I read a book about newbeginner wicca, since then i have insomnia. It feels like spiritual beings disturbing my sleep. Even when i sleep i wake up suddenly, my finger can move suddenly just when i am about to fall asleep. Have you any idea what i can do? i want my peaceful sleep back.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Insomnia

Post by Firebird »

It's quite possible it is your spirit awakening.
The book has peaked your senses and your brain likely wants to know more.
I suggest reading more on the topic, asking more questions, and do some exercises during the day. In the evening have some Chamomile tea and say a prayer for restful sleep.
Body movements during sleep or upon waking are not uncommon, I wouldn't let that freak you out. But if you have ongoing issues look at all aspects of what is going on in your world and see a doctor if it is interfering with you life.
Bb, Firedbird
Ps, please swing by the introduction section and let us know a little bit about yourself, :fairy: thanks
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hello Korbin - I expect Firebird is probably right. I twitch in that State of being half awake/half asleep as my muscles relax. And I’m really curious - what is the name of the book that was so stirring?
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Dunno, the only weird physical thing that happens to me occasionally as I am half asleep is tripping.

No, not in the chemical sense .. but actually tripping over in a light dreamstate. My legs going into the phantom twitch pantomime of recovery.

Apparently it's known as a Hypnic jerk or hypnagogic jerk, and is a normal reaction that can be caused by anxiety, caffeine, dream, or discomfort sleeping. The feeling triggered by a sudden muscle twitch, causing the feeling of falling while sleeping or dreaming.
korbin

Post by korbin »

SpiritTalker wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:01 pm Hello Korbin - I expect Firebird is probably right. I twitch in that State of being half awake/half asleep as my muscles relax. And I’m really curious - what is the name of the book that was so stirring?
I read "magick" by aleister crowley. i have never studied magick before and for the first time I felt like this is a study i can understand and is compatible with my interests. At that time a month ago I had became a bit braver and seeking knowledge, so i had chosen to ignore dogmatic religious views and follow my will instead. i had habit of drinking coffe late and had problems sleeping before, but didnt exactly had nightmares, random images in my head when falling asleep, and insomnia before reading the occult. now i have dropped coffe at late ofcourse. wish me good luck friends, to recover from this:)

And thank you Firebird for your warm advice :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

loL, Corbin meet Korbin!

We have a pretty good reading list here. viewforum.php?f=154

Some would consider the books of Crowley to be, umm...extreme.
Be gentle on yourself as these layers become revealed to you, take it slowly and digest as you go along.
BB, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

firebirdflys wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:12 pm .
loL, Corbin meet Korbin!

We have a pretty good reading list here. viewforum.php?f=154

Some would consider the books of Crowley to be, umm...extreme.
Be gentle on yourself as these layers become revealed to you, take it slowly and digest as you go along.
BB, Firebird
Korbin meet Corbin.

Merry meet! Let me be the one to (semi-offically) welcome you to the wilder, weirder, wonderful world of witchcraft :surprisedwitch:

While I often complain that most people who 'damn' Crowley haven't read Crowley, it takes a certain mindset and mature attitude to decipher Crowley - not just the things he 'occults' or veils but his attitudes and methods - the very anti-chrisian-deliberately-shock-them-out-of-complacency attitudes that are often alluding, beyond the apocalyptic window dressing to some pretty profound things. So I would only recommend mining Crowley when a personal practice in in place, as comparative reading.

If I could change the 'desktop theme' of Crowley I would, having no particular interest in the use of Christian apocrypha.

Crowleys work doesn't disturb me but I guess some of the people who are attracted to Crowley may do. Those that don't know what the - VAST - difference between concepts such as Lucifarianism, LaVay Satanism and Theistic Satanism are.

Some quote 'Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law' as an excuse for anything without knowing or wishing to know the rest of the quote.

Some finish it "Love is the law, love under will'. And some finally think 'hmm.. but what exactly is he saying'?

-------

Do you prefer modern or older authors? While I absolutely hate the title of the compilation 'The Witches Bible', having the other books it was developed from (the eight Sabbats of the witches and the witches way). Stewart and Janet Farrar is still being published.

If you prefer something lighter - Scott Cunningham is rarely out of print (and his book 'Wicca': a guide to the solitary practitioner) - the source of so much witchcraft/wicca terminology confusion imo.

----

Frankly the greater majority of my early library grew from persuing certain authors in Oxfam Bookshops (charity bookshops) or second-hand bookshops which exposed me to a lot of older authors. It gave me a broad and long range perspective on the developments and 'borrowing' of more modern authors.

I consider all books to be wheat and chaff (some are just more chaff and wheat lol).

If it was authored by certain people I had enjoyed and found interest in I would keep my eyes open for their books while rummaging. When I was younger I used to simply devour books and move them on. The good ones I came back to, studiously underlined and spent time reflecting on.

(authors I would look out for specifically when rummaging - off the top of my head)

Prediction Range
'The Elements of' range
Gerald Gardner (Wicca)
Doreen Valiente (Wicca & Witchcraft)
Ross Nichols (Druidry)
Sibyl Leek (Witchcraft)
John Evan Jones (Witchcraft)
Michael Howard (Witchcraft)
John Matthews (Celtic based Practice)
Caitlin Matthews (Celtic based Practice)
Rae Beth (Witchcraft)
Emma Restall Orr (Druidry)
John O'Donohue (Celtic based Practice)
Miranda Green (Celtic based Practice)
R.J. Stewart (Way of Merlin)
Eliphas Levi (Occult)
Frazer (Occult)
Ellen Canon Reed (Witchcraft)
Vivian Crowley (Witchcraft)
Sutton Mann (Druidry)
Starhawk (Witchcraft)
Jennifer Hunter (quite enjoyed 21st century Wicca but never found another book).
Nancy B Watson (Practical Solitary Magic is great).
Fritz Perls (Gestalt Therapy Verbatim - dull title, awesome book)
Carl Jung (when I can get in his head space).

It becomes hard to recommend books when many are simply out of print (or like some sadly such as Sibyl Leeks vast catalogue, seemingly lost to time).

Using this method you will read far too many primers and 101 books.

The rest is a vast - and significantly unread number of PDFs (I will always prefer books) or wonderful online resources like https://www.sacred-texts.com/

But never forget to put the books down. Let things ferment in the subconscious and look around you - wichcraft is founded on the observation of the natural world all around you - in the fields, the woods, the city streets and the interplay of people. Nature is simply everywhere and all its lessons are waiting to be discovered by the open enquiring mind.

Nature is a scripture whose pages never curl and age.

Be blessed.

--------

'... I have been accused of being a "black magician." No more foolish statement was ever made about me. I despise the thing to such an extent that I can hardly believe in the existence of people so debased and idiotic as to practice it...'

- Aleister Crowley
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

to counter insomnia I availed a lot from agrimony in pouch under pillow
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Lavender works for insomnia.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Yea, Crowley would make mind boggling reading especially as an intro. I found Donald M Kraig easier going.

Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Art
by Donald Michael Kraig
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

There used to be a website called 'Flames Firepit' which had thoughts and ideas that had a huge influence on me developing my early practice - sadly it seems all lost to Internet history :(

Michael Howard is my unsung hero. He produced a little slim unassuming book called 'the prediction book of practical magic' and it had exercises and introduced several core concepts that in many ways opened the craft to me in a way it could flourish.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

OK... Insomnia. Try head tapping?

The general use is when you are semi-conscious, and drowsy, tap on your head the number of hours you want to sleep.

You can however be crafter then that. While in that drowstly semi-lucid state, while tapping on your head state a request such as (starting simply) 'hello brain, I would like to have a sleep that feels really long, have dreams and wake up fully refreshed. Thank you'.

It may take practice but you can make it work.

-----
😏 You may be wondering where the hell the 'hello brain' bit came from. It's due to an old episode of the Simpsons I really couldn't initially get out of my head chuckle space when trying out the technique.

Homer: Alright brain. You don't like me and I don't like you. But let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer

Homer's Brain: It's a deal.
Black Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

You have awakened the serpent center of your brain that lies within the brain stem itself. It is the oldest portion of the human brain. It was the first part of of a person's brain to become functional, and it will be the last part of a person's brain to turn off upon physical death. Delving into the occult and other mysteries has an effect on this portion of the brain, quite often, but not always, leading to temporary insomnia. It can last for several weeks or several years.
"People with a high tolerance for boredom can get a lot of thinking done." -Stephen King
“For every woman is at heart a witch.” -Charles Leland
“Men argue, nature acts.” -Voltaire
“Our life is the creation of our mind.” -Buddha
“Any person capable of angering you becomes your master.” -Epictetus
“Facts don’t cease to exist because they are ignored.” -Aldous Huxley
korbin

Post by korbin »

My insomnia is over, it was an result of coffe drinking at late which got serious. strangely it got serious and terrifying at the same time i started reading the occult, but its prolly just coincidence. One becomes vulnerable to already existing fears when having insomnia, i believe. But its just the brain who is drugged by coffeine. i must say goodbye to my coffe maker i bought 3 months ago, cuz i dont stand the discipline to drink it only in morning. :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

oh that's too bad, I mean about the coffee. I used to drink it at night too, actually expresso. Had to give that up.

Did you look into exploring a little less daunting authors on the occult?

Bb, FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson

Return to “Dreaming and Sleep”