Reocurring nightmares & more.

Dreams, dream interpretation, sleep paralysis, night terrors, hearing voices, vibrations, etc.
Abaddon

Reocurring nightmares & more.

Post by Abaddon »

I keep/kept having nightmares about the end of the world. More specifically by zombie apocalypse. Usually in each dream, it's different, but still contains 1) the end of the world and 2) zombie apocalypse. Now, I don't receive these dreams anymore due to cutting off my link to spirituality, which I am now working to gain back again with hesitation. It also occurred outside of the dream world where I would have thoughts and images and feelings about the end of the world (and instead of by zombie apocalypse, it was Revelation; the rapture). So I would often get visuals of the world engulfed in flame, demons about, and Satan on top of the world. It was pretty terrifying, and I still remember, so I could draw it out perfectly including colour and everything. Now, I don't know if this is just normal, but it did not feel very normal at all, because I would feel very connected to it all, and get strange feelings and thoughts that I can't even begin to describe properly. Ever since I started using music to drown out thoughts, images, feelings/senses, and more, it has stopped. I'm slowly stopping myself from coping through it that way, but I'm a bit afraid to venture back and let these things continue happening. I even put earbuds in my ears and blast very energetic music to fall asleep to which has helped a lot.

What should I do? Is this normal? What does it all mean?

Edit: Also, I have no idea if this is relevant, but every single one of my dreams that I have apart from the recurring ones is very violent in one form or another whether it be me causing the violence on someone else/others, or others creating violence around me, or someone trying to hurt me.

(I wasn't sure where to put this so I put it here.)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Recurring nightmares & more.

Post by SpiritTalker »

I don't know if I have anything useful to offer, and while I have had some rattling reoccurring vampire nightmares in my time, I have just rambling thoughts such as:

The subconscious dream factory exaggerates our fears until we untangle the code and diffuse the the message. Dreams repeat until their message is decoded and we connect the dots to our feelings, and the message is never as bad as the exaggerated dreams would have us think. Our changing bodies are chemical distilleries that churn up the emotions.

Dream analysis is not my strength, but here is my best shot:

The end of the world is something we have no control over, and that sucks. When life changes, we feel we have lost control. Zombies are walking dead taking contol and sometimes we feel like walking dead when we numb ourselves from what hurts.

The earlier version you mentioned and the world's end in Revelation may be the root. It boggles the mind that an all powerful being would bring His creation to a bad end. The material world of form and structure always ends, and the spiritual world survives.

As witches we know Nature works through cycles and that breaking down is as important as creating, and one function serves the other in a continuous dance. Matter is not meant to stand forever in it's original form. I have a 95million year old souvineer dinosaur tooth to remind me.

Using music redirects the thought process, so you have one weapon at least. It may help to talk to the subconscious as if it were another person whose good intentions are annoying. You can do this by talking tom your own reflection in a mirror.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

SpiritTalker wrote:The subconscious dream factory exaggerates our fears until we untangle the code and diffuse the the message. Dreams repeat until their message is decoded and we connect the dots to our feelings, and the message is never as bad as the exaggerated dreams would have us think. Our changing bodies are chemical distilleries that churn up the emotions.
nice bit there Spirit :D

Have you ever tried a dream journal? I know in another post you mentioned not being very hands on....however witchcraft is a very hands on type of practice. You may find you'll get much more out of it the more you get in there and feel it out, and try some exercises and what not. Dream journals can help you unravel the mystery of the sleeping mind.

My first thought about you plight is that I wonder how much you engage in zombie type media? Sometimes the saturation of the day eeks into our sleeping to create things we may be able to relate to. Seems as though your fear of the end and death is great, and your dreams are trying to make sense of the unknown. Also is your family very religious?, because it would apoear as though the fear base Christian theolgy is something you struggle with.
Write down your dreams and pay attention to symbols within the dream. The symbols are the tools for transformation. When you can realize what it is with in the dream... what the message is, the mares of night should disperse. It might not be the zombies so much as what they are doing. Are they trying to show you something or just chase you? Additionally chase dreams are your fear of facing something.
The chaos may be something you are experiencing in your waking. See if you can find a spot in nature to rest your mind, (without ear buds) and just listen to the sounds, when chaos creeps into the thoughs, go "ok I know your there but this moment is for me"...put the thoughts on a train and send them off, ...and back to listening to nature. (Continue sending the thoughts off because they will attempt to come back) Try to do this once a day for at least 5 minutes to start with, gradually add more time.
Wishing you restful sleep,
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Recurring nightmares & more.

Post by RosieMoonflower »

firebirdflys wrote:
SpiritTalker wrote:The subconscious dream factory exaggerates our fears until we untangle the code and diffuse the the message. Dreams repeat until their message is decoded and we connect the dots to our feelings, and the message is never as bad as the exaggerated dreams would have us think. Our changing bodies are chemical distilleries that churn up the emotions.
nice bit there Spirit :D

I agree, well put!! I also would be curious if you watch any zombie movies or TV shows often. Things from the day do make their way into our dreams, but I'm a firm believer that they still carry a message. I also believe we dream of our greatest fears/stressors/insecurities, so I wonder if zombie apocalypse freaks you out? The reason we dream about our fears and insecurities is so we can practice our response to it. In the dream world, we can practice how we would respond to such a high stress situation without having the consequences of the physical world if our idea doesn't work. We also act out our greatest desires, especially those we are afraid to act out, or cannot for some reason, in real life.

Rosie
Abaddon

Post by Abaddon »

Sorry for the long wait on a response. I've been really busy lately, and this is a topic I wasn't super energetic talking about, since it only reminds me more of it. However, I do thank you for all the replies, and will not address each of them!

I really like your reply, Spirit. I definitely agree with you, and I have tried to pinpoint anything in my past or present to link to maybe what it has linked to my feelings or current situations/problems I am dealing with. The only thing I can think of is that I don't like to deal with emotions, and problems. I just push them in a bottle and pretend they never happened, which is bad, because I eventually (always) cannot keep the bottle shut once it becomes too full, and end up exploding in a very destructive way to everyone around me, including me.

And to firebird, I actually have tried to keep a dream journal starting a little bit ago! It's working alright, except it kind of scares me, because I have realized that all of my dreams are extremely violent and gory and I'm not sure why. My other dream I had recently that scared me when I woke up was that I was at school with a few other random people and I had grenades and we were going to blow it up. It wasn't even a nightmare? It was just when I woke up that I was really freaked out. The few other people and I walked outside of the school at that point, and watched a car drive by, and in the car, there was a man, and in the backseat, a dead body, all bloody. On the hood of the car, there was also a dead body, bloody as well. It was freaky. Anyway, in the dream, I didn't end up actually hurting anyone, because I woke up, which is relieving, even if it was just a dream.

But! I tested out the theory of watching some zombie media (The Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead) and I noticed that after the first episode, I had a zombie dream. And I started having them 3 times a week ever since. So, it has been happening again.

In response to Rosie, yes! I actually am completely afraid of zombies and the apocalypse (any apocalypse). I even think about it during the day, and have tried to map out what I would do right at that moment if an outbreak happened. I always try to be prepared, and I sometimes think I'm overreacting, but I also check around my surroundings when I'm alone, or with a few other people. I am very paranoid.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Maybe carrying a bug-out bag would be a way of taking back control. I'm serious. When something really bothers us, act out the solution scenario, put it into the concrete world.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think that sometimes we access other realities and time lines in the dream state. That could account for some of the apocalyptic dreams. I see things like that as an overlay in my waking hours occasionally.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Snow, that's brilliant.
Abaddon

Post by Abaddon »

That's a great idea, Spirit! And that is really interesting, Snow. I hadn't really though of it like that, but it makes it a little more intriguing now that I have. Kind of scary too, actually, haha!
smogie_michele

Re: Just a few assorted things!

Post by smogie_michele »

Beautiful!
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Return to “Dreaming and Sleep”