POW Dream

Dreams, dream interpretation, sleep paralysis, night terrors, hearing voices, vibrations, etc.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

POW Dream

Post by SpiritTalker »

Wow. It's been over 40 years. last night I dreamt about "my" Vietnam POW. I wore a bracelet with his name, rank and date of capture...ironically the day after my 16th birthday! In my dream last night, I was briefly in the jungle. Then blindfolded, held captive. Then...long dark hours of hopelessness. dreams can do that.

Then the dream re-ran the TV coverage of the Vietnam POWs return. I saw the plane landing, watched as men were unloaded, one by one, or some in small clusters. Each name was printed across the bottom of the screen. Then, big as life, i saw his name, my POW, flashed on the screen. I let out a yell that brought my mom running into the room. I could only stand and point at the TV, but mom understood. We were frozen, watching the screen.

He gave a short speech about his brief escape before being recaptured, his thanks for support and God for being home. Then, as if they couldn't wait, he was engulfed by his wife Doris and kids. Suddenly mom and I were whooping and hollering, crying and hugging each other. I'm a little teary as I type. It was an emotional moment.

On this Halloween, my thoughts have gone back again and again to that day. I know he died in July of 2013. He had an extensive record, and Medal of Honor, the most decorated war vet in US History. I have no idea what prompted the dream! I just needed to write this.

According to the POW lists,

Col George E. Day, USAF (Ret) Captured 8/26/1967, released 3/14/1973, # of days held: 2027

Edit: 8-26-2018. The one-time cellmate of Col. Day was fellow POW John McCain, lately Az Senator, who has just died at age 81...on my 65th birthday. Yes, that John-we don't say his name- McCain.
smogie_michele

Re: POW Dream

Post by smogie_michele »

This is super interesting. Perhaps this happened because the veil is so thin, but dreams can just be funny like that sometimes.
Thank you for sharing the experience.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

He may have sent you the dream to thank you. It's easier when the veil is almost non-existant, for those who have gone ahead of us, to reach back and say hello.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I received a letter from Col. Day about a year after his release. It was a form letter, so there must be many who wore POW bracelets with his name, but he did put a one sentence note above his signature. None the less, what you both say has weight to it. May he R.I.P.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

That made me cry, so cool that you were an active part in that campaign.
War sucks and wish it would stop.
Like the others said, when the veil thins the messages get through easier. Sounds like a wonderful memory and a great experience re-visited too. Thanks for being a POW supporter.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

POW support was the most constructive means I could find to protest the war as I darned sure am no flag burner! Col. Day is the stuff that legends of heroes are made from.

Return to “Dreaming and Sleep”