Clearing Dream-Space of Unwanted Content

Dreams, dream interpretation, sleep paralysis, night terrors, hearing voices, vibrations, etc.
Yex

Clearing Dream-Space of Unwanted Content

Post by Yex »

Hi, I had a question about clearing the dream-space of unwanted content. Here's my situation. I used to consume a lot of cannabis, but at a certain point in my life, I decided that it was having a negative effect on me, so I gave it up. In the beginning, it was hard not to want to smoke cannabis, especially when I was around it, but as time passed, and I reprogrammed myself, the desire to partake dissipated. I can now be around cannabis without any inclination to consume it... in waking life. In my dreams, however, a very common theme is being "tempted" by cannabis, grappling with whether or not to smoke it, and usually giving in in the end. It's an odd sensation though, because as badly as I want to consume it in my dreams, the moment I wake up the desire vanishes. My assumption is that my dream-space is cluttered with astral residue, as it were, from years of habitual consumption. I don't find the dreams troubling or disturbing, but I do find them dull and tedious. Is there a way I can clear the astral space of my dreams and stop dreaming about cannabis?
love is the whole and more than all
Becks

Re: Clearing Dream-Space of Unwanted Content

Post by Becks »

Hey Yex! This is actually a known and documented psychological phenomenon believe it or not....it's called the "Dammit Dream".

This typically happens to folks who have made a major positive lifestyle change like: quitting smoking, adhering to a new healthy way of eating, or like yourself not using cannabis.

People who experience this phenomenon have usually worked very hard to positively change their behaviour. It indicates that you put a lot of will into something that was really important to you.

The feeling of slipping up and going back into the old pattern that you don't like (in a dream) and all the negative feelings like you messed up and are unhappy about that actually serve to remind you and confirm that you don't wish to make that choice again. It's actually a really positive sign about your personal resolve and hard work. It's confirmation you are on the right track in your mind.

Does that make sense?

I have had them about healthy eating when I really get going and am doing so well.

Try looking at the dreams from this perspective and embrace them as confirmation of your good decisions and hard work.
Yex

Re: Clearing Dream-Space of Unwanted Content

Post by Yex »

Thanks, Becks. That actually does give the situation a lot of perspective.
love is the whole and more than all

Return to “Dreaming and Sleep”