Nightmares about pools

Dreams, dream interpretation, sleep paralysis, night terrors, hearing voices, vibrations, etc.
WaterNymph99

Nightmares about pools

Post by WaterNymph99 »

I had a nightmare last night involving a pool (definitely not the first) but this one seemed to have a meaning behind it, I'm not sure what it is but the dream seemed important.
This is how it went down:

Pool that only gets filled up with black water or goop next to a regular pool. I'm in charge of the pools and I see them but I'm not actually "there".
The spout that pours the black goop malfunctions and starts pouring it into the regular pool. Now you can see a lot of black at the bottom of the regular pool as the black goop pool starts draining. A huge rush of terror washes over me seeing the black fill up the regular pool, and it starts overflowing.
There's nothing I can do about it. All I feel is fear.
A robotic female voice says, "Pool overflowing. Evacuate immediately" and all I can think is "Please stop this please stop this"

Then I wake up.

Every dream I have that involves a pool turns into a nightmare. I’m always petrified of them in my dreams and half the time I wake up choking for air from them.

I've had a fear of man-made pools since I was born. I'll go swimming in them, but I have an unreasonable fear of the big round circles that are for filtering, I assume, and the lights as well. I also hate anything that moves in the pool that is not another human being or perhaps an animal (i.e vacuums, Chlorine bottles, etc)
I've never been able to get over my fears.

Once, when I was around five, I almost drowned at the beach, where it was about 40 ft deep. There, I had my first, and only, OBE out of body experience. I was still in the water, looking at myself still choking on the boat after my mom had saved me. I have no idea how this can be tied to man-made pools but it's what I thought of.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Nightmares about pools

Post by SnowCat »

Your drowning experience could very well be part of the basis for your dreams. The other thing that occurred to me is an oil well. Whether that means anything or not, I don't know.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
WaterNymph99

Post by WaterNymph99 »

Well I've never been near an oil well so I'm not sure.. that could be it, maybe a small repressed memory? I don't know. But thank you for replying
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I wonder if you drowned in a past life ???
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
WaterNymph99

Post by WaterNymph99 »

Hmm.. I've never thought of that
It's certainly possible
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Dreams are a highly individual thing; what you associate with pools may not be what another person associates with pools. If you're getting these kinds of dreams often, it may be of benefit to keep a dream journal near your bed and write what's going on during the day before you go to sleep, any major or weird events, and your thoughts or emotions; then in the morning write down the dream you had in as much detail as you can remember (if you had a dream to remember, of course). It will allow you to draw some associations between real world events and feelings and your subconscious messages.

As for the pool, personally, I associate them with cleansing and the subconscious emotions. Perhaps a clouded and dirty pool means there is something clouding or muddying your emotional or subconscious mind that you haven't dealt with and is continuing to take over your subconscious thoughts?
WaterNymph99

Post by WaterNymph99 »

I have been meaning to keep a dream journal but I tend to procrastinate (it's a horrible habit, I know) but it well help with subconscious messages, as you said. Thank you for replying, I think I will start that journal once and for all.
And I think what you said about the pool representing something that I haven't dealt with might hold truth to it, it does give me a new perspective on the matter and I have felt like I've been avoiding certain memories
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Glad to help. :) I had a major procrastination issue with maintaining journal entries. Just takes some downright stubborness to keep it going sometimes. But after awhile, it'll be second nature.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

Post Traumatic stress could certainly be a factor here. Drowning is a very scary experience! I nearly drowned scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef a few years ago, stupid mistake I made while monitoring my oxygen so I understand that fear very well. As for the blackness of the "water" it could be a manifestation of a fear associated with your experience with drowning. Do you fear the crushing blackness of deep water? The "unknown" of it? That is a possible explanation. Or as Vesca said, perhaps it is a subconscious emotional trauma that is trying to surface and let you know it is something you need to deal with?

Return to “Dreaming and Sleep”