Insomnia

Dreams, dream interpretation, sleep paralysis, night terrors, hearing voices, vibrations, etc.
reikihealer83

Insomnia

Post by reikihealer83 »

Hi Everyone!

I take after my dad in the department of insomnia. I can go weeks without a problem then I get a spell of it for no apparent reason. I have had a bout of it in the last few nights and eventually I pass out cold. Any ideas for battling insomnia before the stage of passing out from utter exhaustion?

Thanks!
[wind_wolf]

Post by [wind_wolf] »

umm i have the same problem, my only advise try tiring yourself out, it helps. a run is a good way, after ur heart slows down lay down its easyer to sleep:P
with our breath out we give life with our breath in we take life

may the light watch over you
and shadow be blind to you
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

wind_wolf,

Thank you very much! I cannot run due to a heart condition but some light cardio yoga might help. Thank you so much!
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

I have a few ideas. Several of these have worked for me (I have insomnia due to stress - premed's not exactly an easy college major).

1) Take a hot bath about 4-5 hours before bedtime. It raises your body temperature, but as your body temp gradually falls, you start to feel sleepy.
2) Take melatonin supplements. I use a liquid kind called BioNite - it works like a charm. I'm usually asleep within 30 minutes, and I usually fight sleep aids.
3) Listen to soothing music, such as classical music, or nature sounds. You can get CDs of nature sounds anywhere, or you can look on iTunes or on the internet. I myself enjoy listening to the Samurai Collection CDs to help me fall asleep.
4) Sometimes I'll make lavender water and spritz it on my pillow. Lavender is very soothing and actually does help one to fall asleep.
5) Meditate. Take 15 minutes before bedtime to converse with the Divine, and tell them of your troubles and clear your mind, so that way when you lay down to sleep, your mind won't be racing.
6) Exercise a few hours before bed is good. It's a lovely idea to take a nature walk around dusk.

I hope these ideas are useful to you. :)
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

Lily,

Thank you so much for those hints. I do use the Lavender spray once in a while. I went looking for my melatonin the other night and think I tossed the bottle so a new one might be in order. Thank you again so much! I will also try some of your other suggestions :)
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

Any time. :)

Just a quick note on the music (I forgot to add that, sorry). The general rule about that is that you can listen to pretty much anything you want, not just nature sounds or classical music (I listen to my favorite video game soundtrack every so often myself), as long as it isn't intrusive or loud.

Also, make sure that your bedroom is dark and quiet (aside from the music or any other soothing sounds, obviously). Any light will stimulate the brain and make it think it's not time for bed yet. Use ear plugs or an eye mask. If you have a digital alarm clock, turn it so it isn't facing you. Those glaring numbers tend to keep you awake.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

sounds like a good idea to me lol. I finally got over it for this time around but these tips will be good for next time. I am also trying to remember to turn my liviingroom light off when I am watching TV so I can get my brain trained just a bit. I tend to go to bed by 12am each night so it makes it nice.
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

That's good that you're trying to set a good sleep schedule. That's an excellent step to getting rid of your insomnia - set a sleep schedule and stick to it. It resets your circadian rhythm (body clock). Be sure, though, to follow the same schedule on the weekends.

When it comes to electronics, my suggestion would be to turn them off about an hour before bed. Spend the intervening hour reading, meditating, etc. Anything that doesn't involve iPods, computers, gaming systems, etc.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

If you haven't read it yet, here's my sticky on the insomnia subject...

Insomnia? Trouble Falling Asleep? Some tips...

~:wink: pleasant dreams~
*M
Starwhisper

Post by Starwhisper »

I've done quite a bit of shift work and otherwise managed to pretty much *live* this thread....

Here are a few thoughts:

Potassium: Inadequate potassium can cause insomnia (personal experience). You may want to poke around online and/or talk to a doctor... some of the numbers indicate that even supplements have much less than the body may need. Stay safe, but you may need more than the "recommended" dosage, especially starting off.

IBS: this actually turned out to be my main problem. It can be really subtle stuff, though... my gut would lightly ache and I'd have to use the restroom a lot at night. I finally figured out that all nightshade-family plants (which are inflammatory) were the trigger: potatoes, tomatoes, etc. I've slept much better without them, though I miss those foods. They used to be favorites.

Good luck.

Return to “Dreaming and Sleep”