New here and on a new path.

Say hello and tell us a little bit about you and your interests.
intheflatfield

New here and on a new path.

Post by intheflatfield »

Firstly, "Hello".

Secondly, I look forward to reading the forum and interacting wherever possible.

A bit more about me, if you care to read that is ;)

I have been interested in Wicca for some time. I was never really that spiritual throughout my life but as I got a little older I felt the calling of the Runes and the Elder Futhark and I began studying Norse Mythology and practising Asatru/Heathenism. Despite my initial calling (Or draw to all things Norse), the connection I had never felt deep enough.

I am at a strange crossroads, where I feel bad for almost leaving behind my Heathen interest and practice and looking for something else that connects me with nature (IE Wicca). I am not sure if you get my drift but I almost feel like a bit of a hypocrite as I seem to not have the belief if what I did whilst studying Asatru/heathenism and practising this. I wonder if anyone else can relate to this feeling?

In terms of Wicca, can anybody recommend a good place to start IE books, online resources etc that could send me on a new path of study?

Many thanks in advance and sorry for the long post/rant as i'm a bit tired this morning haha.
Tylluan

Re: New here and on a new path.

Post by Tylluan »

Hello and welcome.

I'm not Wiccan myself and feel I can't really help you with books etc, but I would say though that your Heathen learning would place you in good stead for Wicca. I see those as a interconnected path. Heathen - from the Heath, is where the Wicce - Wise People - Wiccans would have naturally transitioned from.

First of all you need to highlight what appeals to you. I know you said nature, but what do you think and feel about nature? Animism? Working with nature spirits? Herb gathering? Are you into ceremonial practises, using a certain colour on a certain day, during a certain moon phase to achieve a specific goal? Or are you happy throwing out an energy spell based on how you feel?

xx
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
intheflatfield

Post by intheflatfield »

Many thanks for the welcome.

I think for me I am more connected to nature in terms of seasons and also the moon and sun. I have never really been one for worshiping Gods etc, for me personally I have more faith in nature as a whole and the way it drives and affects us daily. Hope I am making sense here ;)

I am interested in spells an ceremonial practices. I tend to over think things so am a little cautious in my approach to Wicca as do not want to unleash anything negative.
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

Yep you are making perfect sense. I understand where you are coming from to. Its only recently that any gods, in my case goddesses have stepped forward. Before that I grew by the Wheel of the Year, which really helped me keep in touch with the seasons. I love Animism Witchcraft and the belief that there is a life force in everything.

For books I'd learn about the local plants to you and any folklore they have. That will open paths that you hadn't thought about before.

Good luck :) I'm sure someone else will be along soon with more advice.
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
intheflatfield

Post by intheflatfield »

Thanks so much and glad I made sense haha.

I am currently reading and watching lots of books and videos on Wicca and Witchcraft. I think I do have a deep worry though that I may invoke something negative but this just may be beginners nerves.
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

Definitely nerves. Also probably a fear based on the demonization of our Gods. Trust in your own guides to steer you. Fear is often a really good learning tool. There is nothing completely evil, everything has good and bad, or light and dark. Often there is nothing to fear, but lack of knowledge.
intheflatfield

Post by intheflatfield »

Thanks you have been most helpful and I am learning lots from the forum already.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hi & welcome. I'd like to add my two cents.

When we change paths there is often a sense of dismay at the absence of what was familiar or routine. We dont yet know how to fill the gap. We can't unlearn what we've already leaned & that knowledge never leaves us, so i feel it helps to think less in terms of leaving behind a former path & think more that we continue to explore & learn by adding on what is new to us. Paganism has common roots so we'll see similarity between paths as we go forward.

Now then, to e-voke is to stir, awaken & ask assistance. To in-voke someone you'd have to deliberately call them to you by their name (& their sigil is used in ceremonial magic) so just don't do that. Our intent in spell crafting & ritual determines our effect. So, positivity or negativity is a matter of our intention & not haphazard or accidental.

When we purify we are removing undesired energies & we then refill the gap we've just made with desirable energy. Example: in creating sacred space we purify a circular area first with salt-water & offer incense smoke. This automatically introduces the 4 balancing elements of earth (salt), water (H2O), fire (glowing coal) & air (smoke); then we evoke or cast the energy of the circle itself to fill the gap. And when we work spells within this circle we're in a balanced place which is beneficial.

I wrote a topic "getting started" in Witchcraft & Wicca 101 section. You're not a beginner so most of it will be too basic but there are some old, reliable spells & beginner rituals that might serve as intro.

Nature is the embodiment of the life force & we are part of nature, as you already know. The same heartbeat of the Earth is within all who are native to the planet. That's sacred. We don't have to anthropomorphize it to revere & honor it.
intheflatfield

Post by intheflatfield »

Thank you for the very informative post. That was really great and I will check out what you mentioned.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Re: books - Wicca as conceived by GB Gardner was ritually based on ceremonial magic. The Witch's Bible by Janet & Stewart Farrar is classic Wicca. As comparison, a non-Wiccan trad-witchcraft book Treading the Mill by Nigel Pearson is a good start too. More earthy than ceremony.
intheflatfield

Post by intheflatfield »

Great stuff.

I have downloaded some books for my Kindle which have been very interesting so far.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Scott Cunningham - Living and Solitary Wicca

Arin Murphy-Hiscock -Solitary Wicca for life

Doreen Valiente - Anything by her
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
intheflatfield

Post by intheflatfield »

Thanks for that. Can see me going on a reading binge and this will certainly help.

Return to “Member Profiles & Introductions”