From Cult to Atheism to the Great Beyond

Say hello and tell us a little bit about you and your interests.
Amethyst Rose

From Cult to Atheism to the Great Beyond

Post by Amethyst Rose »

My journey to the craft started about a year ago, although all my life I’ve felt a deeper connection to nature and felt like something was missing. First though, a little about me: I’m 37, mother of 2, married and work full time. Husband and I just bought our first house this year! We’ve been together 10 years. My general interests are anything space/sci-fi (books, movies, etc), technology (I'm a transhumanist), music (I sing in a couple bands and write music), nature/outdoors/gardening (I grew up in Alaska and that was a significant formative influence on who I am today), DIY crafting, cooking/baking, and probably a few more things I’m overlooking. I unfortunately have some health issues that keep me from doing all the things I want to (arthritis, fibromyalgia and a few other things) but most days I try to keep a positive outlook.

Having magick in my life (or rather, acknowledging and working with it) is somewhat new, and I’m still figuring out exactly how my practice will shape out. I was raised in a religious cult, so for the last 17 years or so I was atheist. Reconciling that with my practice of the craft has been a journey in itself. I have decided that while I don’t believe the deities are actually individual, sentient beings, I do see the value in using their characters as a representation of certain energies and that helps with visualization and intentionality. Because I’m Irish, Swedish and Cherokee, tend to feel most close to deities and archetypes from those cultures. I So far I know that Elen is my matron, and I’ve also identified Loki, Diana, Athena, Gaia, Venus, Morrigan and Brigid as influential characters in my pantheon. I have a slightly different version of the horned god, he looks very much like a Native American shaman and wears a bison head. I would say that the paths I identify with most are green/kitchen/hearth and hedge/shamanism. I’ve already had some brushes with astral travel and dreams/visions.

What I seem to struggle with most so far is really collecting my thoughts and intentions when I’m doing a ritual or spell. Sometimes I just “wing it” and do whatever feels right, but I feel like I could be much more effective in my practice if I were more intentional. Anyway, I’m glad to be here and can’t wait to learn from you all!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: From Cult to Atheism to the Great Beyond

Post by Firebird »

Welcome!
I like winging it, sometimes those are the best rituals :flyingwitch:
Anyway, glad to see you find a nurturing path unfold before you, it does seem to reveal itself in layers , yes?
I'm on a similar path as you with Celtic, Native American (I'm part Lenni Lenape) and Norse, (on my moms side) as my focus.
I hope you have found healing from the cult, thank goodness you are free.
Enjoy your journey around the board!
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Amethyst Rose

Post by Amethyst Rose »

Thank you! Can I ask what your pantheon and practice consists of? If there's an easy link to something you've already posted that's cool. I was going to say "I'm happy that someone who seems so similar responded" ... but I have a feeling I'm going to see a lot of that, for which I'm quite excited :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I work with Cerridwen mostly, and my practice is primarily Celtic, yet I dabble here and there and work with the energies of the land. I haven't really made a thread on that or a BoS here, but yea, There is lots of like minded here :fairy: Good to meet you. :D
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hi AmethystRose and welcome. My WC experience is mongrel :)
Blu-Luna

Post by Blu-Luna »

A very warm welcome AmethystRose!
Amethyst Rose

Post by Amethyst Rose »

Thank you all for the welcome!
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

A warm welcome to ye. You will enjoy your journey with us.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Lenaleanna

Post by Lenaleanna »

Merry meet and a warm welcome Amethyst Rose!!! Hope you find your ~own~ path that will help you!!! Everyone finds their own way and when you find it- you know it!!!
Bright blessings,
Lenaleanna
When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don't let go.
EveningWithAstaroth

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

Welcome to the forum.

I as well have an interest in Green witchcraft, and practice quite a bit of Native practices within my path.

I am Scottish, English, French Canadian, and Romani with a small percentage of Native American.

I was born in the United States, I am American, but my roots are European.

I do not really have a pantheon myself- I rather worship a single deity, a God, but lately have found myself drawn to the deities of the Gaul people.

I find their version of the Triple Goddess very interesting, as well as their reverence for hot springs.

Hope you enjoy the forum, and stick around.

Return to “Member Profiles & Introductions”