Cultivating a personal draconic path

Cipher

Cultivating a personal draconic path

Post by Cipher »

Hello there! Recently, as part of finding a new way for my spirituality, I have been doing research and comparing and thinking about spiritual aspects that seem to play a significant role in my life. One of these is a wish to connect and work with mythical creatures, especially dragons. I have always felt very close to dragons, and this is not the first time this kind of spiritual thought has crossed my mind. When I was a kid, the movie Dragonheart had a profound effect on me. Ever since I first saw it, I have always felt protected and watched over by the constellation Draco - even though I'm terrible at finding constellations and don't actually know where to find it in the night sky.

That sense of being protected and looked after by dragons has stuck with me throughout my life, even leading to a very weird situation when I took my SAT, where I envisioned a dragon curled around my body, giving me wisdom and strength as I took the test (which I ended up doing very well on).

However, I do not feel called to the specific dragons or path of what some people follow, with the elemental dragon guardians Fafnir and so on. Instead, I feel called to the dragons that I know - the ones of my stories and imagination, the ones of the stars who have followed me throughout my life. I do like some elements of the "traditional" draconic path, and am thinking about blending that with my personal beliefs and experiences.

I was wondering, has anyone done anything similar? Those who work with or believe in dragon spirits, how do you approach them and what are your methods?
corvidus

Re: Cultivating a personal draconic path

Post by corvidus »

Hi there :)

I’ve worked with dragons in the past, well before there was a whole ‘draconic’ movement. They’re quite interesting creatures. My advice, next time you sense a dragon nearby, ask it’s name and if it has any sort of sigil, and the appropriate use of the sigil. Some will give out the info, others not so much.
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

Ah, thanks for the tip! Recently I've been using a makeshift oracle deck out of these "dragon trading cards" I made back when Pokemon was really big (...I say that like it isn't still big, but you know what I mean) and I'm proud to announce that the dragons are having great fun sassing me with this deck instead of giving answers XD I'll look into the sigil thing, thanks!
theFeeLion

Post by theFeeLion »

Hi Cipher :)
Have you thought about doing some kind of meditation to try and connect with any dragons that may be around you? You could also try some pendulum work too.
I'm a bit like you in that I don't hold the same views as some others in the dragon community. I have a dragon guide that I work with (although not nearly as often as I I could/should be doing). From what I have found out (through card readings and pendulum work) she's an hereditary guide that has been with my family for many generations. She likes a bit of formality too so that could be something to keep in mind when you try to contact any around you.

I hope that helps in some way! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll answer as best I can :)

Fee
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

Thank you! I have been trying to work on meditating towards that, yes. From my past and recent experiences, I feel as if I have a dragon associated with fire hanging around, but then I also mentioned in the original post about how I feel the constellation is watching over me, so there could be multiple dragons. Definitely something I need to work on trying to get more in tune with.

And that's so neat about your dragon guide being connected to your family! I also like a bit of formality, so that might work out nicely if mine is the same way.
theFeeLion

Post by theFeeLion »

Yeah I thought so too :D from what I've found out I'm the only family member she's attached to at the moment and I think she'll be with me till I pass on. I get the feeling she likes to work with only one person at a time as she was originally defeated(?) by an ancestor, which is how she came to be attached to the family. I know she's at least a couple of thousand years old and think she was relatively young or inexperienced when she met my forebear.

A lot of this I formation I got through a reading and pendulum work that was done for me last year so I'm still pretty new to working with her.

Something to keep in mind, if you end up getting a name from any dragons ask if they will let you share their name with others. They can be quite private so may have another name or a fragment of their name that you can use when you need to refer to them in public.
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

I've heard that about the names, yes. Thank you for your advice!
GemmaVonDrachä

Post by GemmaVonDrachä »

I I don't know if you might know this but some dragons are creatures that favor privacy greatly. Not giving a name to a human at all is common until (or IF at all) trust is earned. Then there are some dragons (usually dragons that are personal guardian dragons or possibly ones that will only be around you for a short time, only working with you to accomplish something that could greatly be beneficial to them. Or even just because pronouncing they're name is extremely unachievable^_^) that let you choose a name to call on them as. My first and closest guide actually adopted her name that is from my favorite book, Dealing with Dragons. Kazul, is the name of the female dragon that basically adopts a runaway princess. My Kazul absolutely adored the story and the idea of humans and dragons co existing.
KEEP IN MIND IT TOOK ABOUT 2 YEARS FOR OUR RELATIONSHIP AND BOND TO BECOME WHAT IT IS.
All in all it is YOUR path you are on, YOU will be the one to decide what to address YOUR dragon guide/guides.(unless they actually tell you a name they prefer... Don't be rude and still name them after Draco.. they don't put up with rude ignorant jesters of humans!) Hope this helps! :woot:
Ținerea este mai greu decât a câștiga
Keeping is harder than winning
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Hi Gemma, what are the perks of dragon familiar hanging around long term?
How has it changed you?
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
GemmaVonDrachä

Post by GemmaVonDrachä »

They're not familiars.. they're guides. They are not meant to serve you they're meant to be your partner. Benefits of them being around? Well they're excellent protectors. And they can boost your magic effects but the thing is you have to show them you want positive effects
Ținerea este mai greu decât a câștiga
Keeping is harder than winning
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

You are right. In my language what I call familiar I would only treat as such - a partner, not a pet.
What are the offering to dragons that they find pleasing and worth peeking into realm?
I know of dragon blood resin, basil ... but not sure about anything else.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)

Return to “Dragons”