Dragons in spells?

Evolve

Dragons in spells?

Post by Evolve »

Dragons are such mythological creatures I love them does anyone know any dragon spells or how to summon them was wondering how they could help me today.
Last edited by Vesca on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More appropriate title
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Re: Dragons in spells?

Post by Seraphin »

I would advise you to have an extensive study and research first about draconic path and magick and build a strong relationship with them before summoning and petitioning them. Dragons are a part of many different cosmologies and they are not all the same. They run the whole range of benevolent to malevolent; divine, light, dark, wind, fire, water or earth; winged or not winged; small to big; friendly to hostile; vengeful to kind; wise to bullheaded; powerful to weak; young to old. And there's no single set of magickal correspondences that can be attached to these dragons unless you narrow it down to specific species.

Also consider that sometimes the big powerful ones are actually Deities, not just an average members of the species. Many Deities present as dragons such as Tiamat and Apep/Apophis. Many of the Daemonic pantheon also wear dragon form like Liwyathan, Rahav and Dagon and of course entities such as Kur, Humbaba and Mushussu of the Ancient Near Eastern comsology and Python and Hydra of Greek mythos. Then we have Quetzalcoatl, who is often considered a dragon of a different sort.

If you already have a working relationship with them then express your faithfulness through action: Through engaging and providing various offerings and sacrifices we may partner with draconic will through our deeds.

And then keep working on enhancing the relationship: However, as with any relationship, we must expect ups and downs in our relationship with these entities. Life is full of sh*ts and trying encounters which throw us into chaotic feelings of being abandoned. Yet, it's of utmost importance to stay loyal and faithful despite of the challenges.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Post by Silversong »

There is a great book on the subject, Dancing With Dragons by DJ Conway, that I have in my possession. I have been looking into dragon magick for quite a while now and do intend to begin practicing in the near future, though probably not before I acquire a couple more ritual tools (a ritual sword, for instance). DJ Conway does have slightly different ideas than most other Witches - for instance, aligning the sword with Fire and the wand with Air rather than vice versa (which actually makes more sense to me, so I use that... or would if I had a sword or a wand, anyway, haha!) - but she's a very helpful writer all the same.

Above all, dragons are powerful, proud entities, to be respected as fellow magicians - do not make the mistake of attempting to "summon" them, or - Goddess forbid! - try to command them to do your bidding (or, for that matter, anything else). They will not respond well, and it's quite possible you'll get quite a bit of negative backlash before they disappear. You can invite them into your ritual space, send out an invitation to helpful dragons and request aid, but don't demand their presence, or they will almost certainly refuse. They may not appear anyway, or if they do come, they may not make themselves known to you at first - it's not uncommon for them to simply observe a magician for several rituals before ever making themselves known to that magician.

Seraphin, as per usual, pretty much hit the nail on the head - dragons vary enormously from one kind to the next, and they all have different associations, preferences, and liabilities to help you with various kinds of rituals.
Red Ember

Post by Red Ember »

I have always loved dragons since I was a young child and have always surrounded myself with them one way or another. in fact my altar has more dragons on it then anything else, they are all over my house. Although I have never studied working with dragons nor felt the need to call upon them, I do think their presence in my life is quite obvious and natural.

I think if you have an interest in a subject then it may well be because that subject is right for you to learn more about. I can not offer any help in learning about them, sorry, but I would say from experience that one of the best ways to approach them is through respect and interest, if its right for you to work with them they will make themselves known to you.
If cats could talk, they wouldn't. - Nan Porter
Draconian Neophyte

Post by Draconian Neophyte »

I have also started down that path into Dragon magick. Maybe we should swao contact info and research notes?

Return to “Dragons”