Beyond Pagan 101?

Star_Priestess

Beyond Pagan 101?

Post by Star_Priestess »

As you can see from my name, I'm an aspiring Priestess to the Goddess. I someday plan to open up my own Temple where anyone can worship or honor how they want (provided they mind the Rede, of course).

My problem, though, is how to actually learn more so that I can be an actual Priestess. I've been on my Path for about a decade now, have read up on many different Traditions and ancient beliefs, and have practiced my Craft as often as I'm able to. But for all that I've studied, I've really never found anything beyond the "Pagan 101" stuff that is so widely available and I don't trust the "online priestess training" I've found.

If anyone has a link or book for more advanced training in Paganism, or even just your own thoughts about it, I would be so, very appreciative.

Thank you!
YanaKhan

Re: Beyond Pagan 101?

Post by YanaKhan »

Could you please explain more about your path?
Because it looks to me like you are trying to create a new one and while this is great, many witches who have created their own path, me included, would hesitate to join you in your worship. This has nothing to do with things being wrong or right, just sometimes what's right for one person is not always right for another.

If you are a Wiccan, I believe there are initiations and you need to be a part of a coven and reach a certain level before you become a priestess.

So are you trying to start a coven or you wish to do something completely different?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

You might need to rethink the term Priestess, and go with something more loosely defined. It sounds like you want to provide some sort of spiritual leadership, but in a less traditional role than what Yana has described.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Star_Priestess

Post by Star_Priestess »

Well, for me, being a Priestess means being able to connect with the Goddess and be able to teach others. Of course, I'd also want to provide some counseling, rites if anyone wants them (I've already been ordained as a minister) and hold ceremonies for the Sabbats and Esbats. Something along the lines of the Priestesses of Avalon in Glastonbury. I also believe that once you're Initiated into the Craft, whether it's an established Tradition or your own, you're already a Priest/ess, but you still have more to learn.

It's not a Coven, but a Temple. An established structure where people can come and go as they please and worship as they please like the one being built in Iceland. I've looked around, and I've found that many Pagans would like their own Temples, but I'm years away from opening one. For what I want, I need to train a lot and study more than I've already done, and all I've found is the basic of basics and I don't trust those online schools very much. So if there's any way I can find a place to go farther than that, I would welcome it gladly.

As for my Tradition, it's a mixture of Gardnerian, Alexandian, Green and other various sources I've put my own spin on. It's rather pantheistic, as I see all deities as separate manifestations of the Goddess and the God from the Spirit that I don't give names to (it clouds my Workings). So if anyone comes to my Temple and decides to, they can give them specific names.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

You could visit pagan worship groups as an observer and speak with other priestess. There are a couple existing Farm sites like Circle Sanctuary in Wisconsin and Wysteria (is it in Ohio?) I have driven past pagan dedicated rural campsite facilities in Indiana, that were completely full at Summer Solstice. You could correspond with these facilities organizers for advise. They can also cover the mundane matters of property taxes, building codes, grounds and facility maintenance including kitchen and bathrooms.

In my extended neighborhood there are three different "faiths" operating store-front, walk-in worship sites. They each have their own clergy and worship services, offer counseling, and the Xn one provides food. And that isn't including the well known Missions like Mel Trotter and Salvation Army that go beyond religious services. And in the largely Hispanic neighborhoods, the 2 Botanicas in town, besides being fascinating stores, also offer pagan clergy & religious services. So don't overlook these large city resources for information. Contact those in the largest city near you.

Sadly,where my town used to have 4 very good new age shops, each with pagan services and a large meeting room of their own for full Moon's and offering lectures, in the past 20 years, we are down to 1 new age shop with merchandise (mostly books, music, tumbled stones, candles and oils) but no services. I think it survives because it is near one of the college campuses.

Come to think of it, some colleges have pagan organizations or courses that might provide leads through their staff. Do Student Union buildings still exist, and college news papers? alumni offices?
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I'd agree with SpiritTalker -- I think working with an in-person group is probably your best bet. Ritual as a solitary is a completely different experience from practice in a group, and require a different set of skills:

- Group Facilitation
- Ritual/Event planning -- attention to detail, knowing how to adjust your ritual to various group sizes and different communities, how to keep your ritual interesting and dynamic, etc.
- Raising energy in a group
- Pastoral counseling

There are some other supplemental skills that could also be helpful, such as:
- Divination
- Singing/chanting
- Dancing
- Playing a musical instrument
- Aspecting for a deity
- Herbalism
- Using crystals
... etc.

I recommend Shauna Aura Knight as a resource for Pagan leadership and ritual planning. I am also fond of Coven Craft by Amber K, and Wicca Covens: Start and Organize Your Own by Judy Harrow.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “Advanced Witchcraft”