A cone of power substitute?

Hawk

A cone of power substitute?

Post by Hawk »

(I'll start by saying that I'm not very good at meditating. I've dysthymia, a form of depression, and the concentration issues and anxiety that goes with it. This can make it hard for me to work spells, because my mind will very easily wander- hence, I do all the spell working I can out loud, because at least then I can't stray. This is semi-relevant, I swear.)

Now, a lot of spells I know of- indeed, even casting a circle, all require me to visualise a cone of power- which I find tricky to do. But, I found yesterday when working a spell that it's much easier for me to imagine a small column of flame from my chest and upwards while also thinking of the stars (and it seemed to give me the tingling-hands feeling I've read means you're actually managing to channel power). (Additionally, I wrote a pain spell that required visualisation of the pain as smoke- the fire imagery seems to be recurring.)

But anyway! Is the cone of power entirely necessary? Am I just doing this wrong, and should the fire imagery just be used for something else, or not at all? I get that the cone of power is used to direct energy, but in this case, if it's used in casting a circle, and I am where the power is supposed to be initially, does it matter?
— Hawk.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: A cone of power substitute?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hmm..I've always felt the cone as an inverted funnel, rising from around me and the rim of my circle and going up and away. It's been like a collector of force, wider in contact with the earth and narrower above my head. I use the circle itself as a cone. If I'm not using a formally cast circle, I use a misty, swirling collection of my thought, feelings and voice command. It feels like it's rising up from around my feet, spinning around me, so I just put a picture to what I felt.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't go both ways, as It's a spinning vortex, probably diamond shaped anyhow. If what you are doing is envisioned more easily as flame from within, that sounds fantastic, and rather appropriate. Just be sure you are a conduit for power passing through you, not from you. Otherwise you'd be using personal vitality and you'd be really tired afterward, whereas as a conduit, you don't drain yourself.

It's a challenge we all have to work around our own limitations. I also have difficulty visualizing in detail, so I use vague or generic thought forms because that's what I can manage. What I get tough on is my determination and command. Being a grumpy old gal is my strength. Crack the whip! I call it my Inner Bitch.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Hehe, okay. Well, if it works, it works, I guess! Thank you for the advice- I was worried the flame imagery would be just too tied to destructive things to make my spells do what I wanted them too, but if that's not a problem, then, well, yay.
— Hawk.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Flame as an element of magic isn't so much destructive as transformative. It changes an object from one form to another, and as a symbol of the magical process, it resonated to me in that by our use of focussed intent our desires are transformed from thought-forms and manifest in the material realm.

If you feel the force of your heart-fire imaging isn't what you want, after you learn about it and find how it behaves, then re-evaluate the effect and adjust your technique. There's no right or wrong, only what works.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I don't know that a cone of power is essential in every circle. Perhaps you are there just to commune with a diety, or celebrate a holiday, make a magical potion, etc. (Though it can be used to charge up a working) In my experience the cone is for sending off "wishes" ie; spells, prayers, energy to another... Use your wand or athame or finger to draw a cone around you as you spin deosil around, making at least one complete circumference Before you start moving up and to a point. This way your tool will help with the visualizations.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Advanced Witchcraft”