About Pentagrams: Invoking and Banishing?

Betweentwosides

About Pentagrams: Invoking and Banishing?

Post by Betweentwosides »

Hi guys, Finally I am here and I've missed you. I've done a lot of things for my pagan journey (like reading about paganism, about nature, studying spells etc.) One day I was looking for pentagrams (I like them!) and I saw something like "Banishing and Invoking pentagrams." What does it depend on? I mean, there are directions for each element (Fire, earth, air, water, spirit) to draw them. I don't understand this thing clearly but it seems like a useful thing for me. Can anyone help me about this? :fairy:
Attachments
5157a8ccce26737922ea4ebe1024d191.jpg
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: About Pentagrams: Invoking and Banishing?

Post by SpiritTalker »

You can use the pentagram to open etheric doors to call the elements to your spell or circle, if you use one. Each point of the star stands for one of the elements. Spirit at the top, and in alphabetic order starting left, air-earth-fire-water. Of course, some people label the points in a different order, and it does not matter, as long as you always use the same associations when you make your own star.

The First Stroke and your intent will determine the purpose of your star, either coming toward the element you want to call, or moving away from it to dismiss it.

To open, or call: When you make the sign in the air, face the direction associated with the element you want to address. Make the FIRST stroke so that it moves toward and stops on the point of that element and then complete the star. It's like pulling your first stroke towards the point of the element you want to call forth. This calls the element, or opens the channel to it.

To close, or dismiss: also called banishing, the first stroke begins at the element point you want to dismiss, then complete the star.

Example: the most-used for protection is for the earth element. To call forth Earth, start at the top. Make the first stroke down to the lower left point, the one associated with the earth element, up to upper right, across to upper left, down to lower right, and up to the top to complete the star.
Oakheart

Post by Oakheart »

Banishing & invoking pentagrams come down to us from the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Banishing pentagrams are used to cleanse an area of unfavorable vibrations, as well as to banish various entities such as ghosts and nature spirits, and invoking pentagram pulls down divine energy, so one repels and the other attracts.
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ack...don't even get me going on this one...oooops too late.
I have a huge dispute with the way these are drawn, there are so many discrepancies... my first and foremost being an air invoking is a water banishing and visa versa. Another peeve is why are we not starting at the point of the element you wish to invoke?, rather than from a point across from the element? To me it makes more sense to start at the element you wish to invoke and the draw your line deosil around the star until it is complete thereby invoking it once the star is all drawn...ie: once the circut of the line is complete....>bing< ...element invoked.
With Air and Earth your invoking line moves widdershins around the star. With Fire and Water your invoking line moves deosil.
Conflict.
Wouldn't they all go doesil to invoke and widdershins to banish?
I'll teach it as part of training but we don't use this system in circle anymore. It is really for the ceremonialist. And maybe some ceremonial magician can explain why those 2 are backwards and the water/air invoke/banish issue, but I never could understand it.
What we do instead is what we call a spirit invoking pentagram, which is essentially a fire invoking. Because you start at the top where spirit resides draw your line deosil and when you're back to the top your star is complete the spirit of the element you are addressing has be activated. Then protecte by encircling it ...sunwise/moonwise/deosil ....(clockwise)
Reverse the whole process to take down.
Starting at the top and uncircling widdershins (anti-sunwise/anti-moonwise) till you are back at the top then undraw the line of your star widdershins (counterclockwise) till your back at top and release.
Just a different way of doing things.
Thank you for posting this pic. I believe this is the most common placements of the elements. I've seen many variations.
Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into the pic for you. In the end what empowers you?
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

Fire, for once I am going to disagree with you. The 5 pointed star varies a lot by culture as to which point is which element based on type of magickal practice. The Wuxing for example from china, the Egyptian star, the Solomon star. Various 5 pointed stars in various African countries. Various European Countries. More then one has a 5 pointed star that is an elemental wheel. Not all of the elements are arranged in the same flow or pattern. Also the circle isnt always used to protect something. It can be used to contain it or even to connect elements together by an alternative route. It really depends on who's casting a glyph and why. Also Why start with a different element for banishment? What about the wuxing? Certain elements are used to banish or weaken others, while others are used to birth and feed them. The clockwise counterclockwise thing, I will agree with but also add too. when going counter clock wise it is easier to tap into negative stem destructive energies. When directed ata negative source they can banish or destroy the negativity. But when directed at a positive source it makes things less pleasant.
I'm a spiteful, hateful, venomous creature, a pupil with no scruples who's no better then my teacher. Also not actually a raven.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

With regard to use of OP's question this is the table she should refer to.
I probably shouldn't have posted my rant, only to confuse her further.
Now she has a bunch if other stars to consider.
There's a lot out there.
Chew on one star at a time :fairy:
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

firebirdflys wrote:With regard to use of OP's question this is the table she should refer to.
I probably shouldn't have posted my rant, only to confuse her further.
Now she has a bunch if other stars to consider.
There's a lot out there.
Chew on one star at a time :fairy:
Bb, Firebird
How do you chew on a star without combusting? Is that a fire bird thing? :lol:
I'm a spiteful, hateful, venomous creature, a pupil with no scruples who's no better then my teacher. Also not actually a raven.
random417

Post by random417 »

Firebird, even as a high magician i have many of the same problems as you do with the G.D. Pentagrams. I don't use them myself, the Aurum Solice (sp?) had a system that made more sense to me.

Invoke clockwise, banish clockwise. Invoke towards, banish away from your elemental point. So for example, water would be drawn both directions using the horizontal line at the top, clockwise for invoking and counter clockwise for banishing. Just something to think about

Edit: looking closer, this would be the system spirittalker discusses. For the purists out there, here's "historical validity"
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Random! I'm so glad you chimed in. I was thinking as I was posting ...where the heck is Random?...he would have some words about this! And >>bing << here you are :fairy:

Wa hahahaha it's amazing!

Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
random417

Post by random417 »

Synchronicity anyone? *grins*
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44

Return to “Advanced Witchcraft”