Opinions on a Robot to assist in spell casting and ritual

HopefulChild

Opinions on a Robot to assist in spell casting and ritual

Post by HopefulChild »

Say I want to cast a particularly complex spell in a ritual that has some eccentric requirements.

One thing I need in the ritual is for a continuous horizontal circle to be drawn in the air with an oak rod. The distance of the circle is equal to a persons arm rotation if they were 6 feet tall. I'm not six feet tall.
I don't have any friends that tall whom I would be willing to ask to help me with a ritual because they don't believe the way I do.
The majority of my friends are Christians and Atheists..almost a 50/50 split actually.

Anyway.
(theoretically, I haven't actually done this)

I make a little robot. It's on a tripod, and it runs on an 18 volt battery from a cordless drill. The whole rig is really a cordless drill with an aperture that rotates around with the oak rod attached. I've bread boarded it with an android compliant blue tooth switcher so I can turn it on or off and change the speed by voice command from my phone which is sitting outside my consecrated circle, but within voice range.

Is this cheating? Am I nullifying my magic by integrating technology? If I also need a chant for this ritual can I record myself doing the chant in different pitches and while recording give sincere consideration to what the chant is for and then composite my recordings together and play that back on a loop during the ritual?
Is that cheating?
Is a recording made with intent, as good as "live"?

I'm just curious about other peoples opinions about incorporating technologies into practices.

In your opinions, is there a point where nature magic, is insulted or perverted by having technology present or involved?

Just as legitimate a question is "Is there such a thing as cheating when casting magic"?

Thanks for any opinions you are willing to share.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Opinions on a Robot to assist in spell casting and ritua

Post by Xiao Rong »

I actually think that is super cool ... like a modern version of a fetch. You'll have to tell me how it goes!

I think the truth is that we all use some technological aids in rituals, everything from emailing out to coordinate the ritual to playing music on the iPhone ... I have definitely attend at least one ritual where the high priestesses were straight up reading all of their ritual instructions, chants, and stories off of their phones. For me, the biggest question is if technology will enhance or distract you. With the ritual I just mentioned, everyone having their phones out during ritual and everyone scrolling on their phones was a big turn-off, if only because it took me out of the ritual headspace. But it's very common to play guided meditations you have recorded earlier or music, and that actually enhances the scene and can allow you to participate more fully.

I don't consider it inherently against "nature" magic or insulting. I think the more that we can thoughtfully entwine our tools for daily living to deepen our practice and our connections to the Earth and to each other, the better.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I've seen plenty of cheesy movies that had the natives mystified by the white man's magic in the form of technology. I think your idea is worth pursuing. It's not like you're using a flashlight to prove that you're some long awaited deity.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I am all for innovation and working in our own century, and have no issue with properly consecrated technology. In the past, a donkey going endlessly 'round and 'round might have accomplished the task. Good donkeys are hard to find these days. Use what is available.

Taped meditations and music aren't cheating, so I don't think your own recording is either. It is like being present in two forms, doubling your output like a mirror doubles a spell's blip on the charts. A recording you make with intent will resonate with your own mind because you made it. I have experienced that a properly pitched song will make my 3rd eye vibrate. The singing voice of Placido Domingo is of that quality. There are healing recordings at 528 hertz of just a single tone, mechanically manufactured with no magical intent whatsoever, that are effective and stimulate physical matter to realign itself.

Is nature magic insulted by technology? Probably yes by trashed, out dated and dumpsite technology. I'm thinking that the
energy of technology is the same energy of Nature as any man made pottery bowl.

If you work with nature- beings, explain what it is and it's purpose, but then these beings are smarter than we think, and probably will be interested. My two cents.
moonlitwish

Post by moonlitwish »

I feel like the important part is that you are still able to focus the energy you want to work with having all that going on around you. If you can, go for it! For me it would be too many distractions. I have to keep things simple.

*~*moonlitwish*~*
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I didn't mean to imply that I'm trying to build a robot to do rituals with me.

It was "what if". I have a lot of what ifs lurking in me.
Becks

Post by Becks »

I always enjoy your perspective and thoughts. I admire your approach to practice and incorporation of science. Cool stuff.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Well, magick is science.
I'm absolutely in love with the idea of incorporating modern day tech into spells.
TriviaGod76

Post by TriviaGod76 »

Good post! I'm thinking since humans are of nature then what we make is of nature. So tech is natural. Some authors I've read might argue that the energy the device(s) puts out may disturb things, but I don't know. Seems like it wouldn't be any different than using a lamp.
I love the idea of recording and playback! You have inspired me.
T'ani-L'ai

Post by T'ani-L'ai »

Okay, I think I'm officially intrigued by the ritual you've mentioned! Like, how did you come up with the continuous horizontal circle with an oak staff at six feet bit? I know it's a bit off-topic, but I like hearing how people find the inspiration for doing specific unique things in their rituals.

As for the robot bit, I wouldn't think it to be a perversion of nature or anything like that. When you boil it down to the simplest terms, it's an extension of your intent being carried out by a tool filled with energy. Sounds like an extremely cool way to do what we already do in spells, anyhow! :D

I really want to hear about your success in the matter, should you and your little robot buddy end up working together! I kinda wish I had a robot now, too. :lol:
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I would charge (magick)/consecrate your little robot helper before working with it. But that's just me.

I'd also suggest looking up techno-paganism.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

T'ani-L'ai wrote:Okay, I think I'm officially intrigued by the ritual you've mentioned! Like, how did you come up with the continuous horizontal circle with an oak staff at six feet bit? I know it's a bit off-topic, but I like hearing how people find the inspiration for doing specific unique things in their rituals.

I didn't. That statement about the circle and a specific height is an extrapolation from some or other ceremonial magic ritual I've read about in either historical context or even fictional context for all I can remember.

It was just a made up situation that would force me to either get help, or create a solution and my solution was a robot.

Personally I just saged my house again for spring and while doing it I do use a widdershins circle for life and a deosil circle for time. I move the sage North, South, East, West, Widdershins, Deosil, clasped hands, admonishment.

I feel like if you want to be really centered you have to be in the lotus position as close to the earth as you can be without laying yourself out horizontally. If you do ceremony at this height, you want the effects as soon as possible.
The higher up you position your ceremony the more you are acknowledging that your efforts are for the future or even your decedents. In my mind anything you do higher than your own head is for your decedents.

That may seem odd to anyone who has been part of more grand group ceremonies but while I've witnessed larger ceremonies (there was a wiccan coven that held open ceremonies at a universalist church so the community could see how they practiced and so on) I myself am solitary with the exception of my better half.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

Consecrating the robot is great Lady Lilith.
I never considered that!!!
Yukiah

Post by Yukiah »

A lot of the spells and rituals we have today came from our ancestors who had to use the materials available to them. I can bet you if they had technology they would have incorporated it into their spells. I say "Go for it". :flyingwitch:

Return to “Advanced Witchcraft”