Fun with Spell Ingredients!

Kassandra

Fun with Spell Ingredients!

Post by Kassandra »

I'm just going to randomly list things that could be used in spells, things that kind of catch my attention for whatever reason. I will leave it to you to use the item as you imagine it should be used, though I may express how I think it'd be good for spell work, just whatever comes to me in a stream-of-consciousness kind of way (creativity is one of the fun aspects of witchcraft!) ...and please, chime in on this thread with any questions or comments that you have, with what strikes your fancy about the ingredient, how you or someone you know have used it or how you think it could be used, or whatever. Let your inner child play.

Potion-making.jpg
Some of my favorite Charmed scenes were when they were cooking up
potions and stuff in the kitchen. They'd get that "yikes" look, lol
Photo source: charmedchosenlegacy.wikia.com/wiki/Potion_Making

Getting to Know Spell Ingredients

The Intellectual vs. the Experiential

So here we are in the "Information Age," able to look up just about anything, anyone, anytime. This I think becomes a knee-jerk reaction ("just Google it"). I think, however, as magical folk we miss out on a lot that way. As with anything else, there is intellectual knowledge, and there is experiential knowledge. The problem with having such easy access to so much information is one becomes addicted to intellectualizing things, and habituated to not placing value in the experiential. How fun is that though, really? Would you rather read about having a boyfriend or girlfriend, or would you rather experience having a boyfriend or girlfriend? Would you rather read about your favorite food/drink, or would you rather be eating/drinking your favorite food/drink?

So, I'm going from the inside, out. I'm going from feeling to knowing, and not vice versa. I'm advocating as far as spell ingredients, develop your own feelings about them first, resist "looking them up" initially, There will be time for that. It's not a race. Try to resist starting from your intellect rather than from your feelings. I'm going to advocate first developing depth, then later developing breath.

1. Develop an Experiential Relationship

For now I suggest just spending some time with an item of your choice. Many spell ingredients are things you could find right there in your kitchen, or in the natural environment somewhere around your home, or at the grocery store. Get to know the item for about a week or more, which will give you enough time to sleep and dream about it, so your unconscious mind could connect with it, too.

If you can, take some home, meditate with it. I'd ask it telepathically, "What do you want me to know about you?" and see what comes to mind. I'd observe the impressions I get of it, for instance: the Milk Thistle plant feels feminine to me. It feels wise like a mother, yet regal and no-nonsense like a commanding queen, outspoken but leaving many things a mystery so you could learn on your own. Its thorns are like weaponry that could really hurt a person. So, those capacities are the primary ways I'd first imagine I should use it. I'd write those observations in a BoS.

If you can't get the actual thing you're interested in learning about print a picture of it, ask the question above, and likewise meditate on it; or hey, better yet, draw a freehand picture of it to keep in your BoS (I should do this --what a great way to connect!). Write your observations on the picture itself as you draw, or on another piece of paper if you'd prefer.
getty_rm_photo_of_woman_smelling_rosemary_sprig.jpg
The tactile experience you develop with your spell ingredients will
come in handy by putting more meaning and life force into your spell
casting. Witchcraft is all about energy --raising it, manipulating
it, and not a matter of collecting and reciting intellectualized facts
and figures. By indulging your senses you are actually educating your
magical mind.

Photo source: webmd.com/children/environmental-exposure-head2toe/slideshow-indoor-air-quality

2. Develop a Lexicon, Along with Empirical Knowledge

Then, I'd learn how it moves in the world, that is, what are its actual properties? This is still just biological understanding, and not having to do with witchcraft, yet. This is the little scientist in me, wanting to take things apart and see how they work. What organs in our bodies does it affect, and how? How does it affect other people, and animals? How does it affect the air, the water or the soil? At this phase, I would just look at its biological functions and behaviors.

Then, I'd ask myself, what associations do the actions of this item bring to my mind? All of these, I would write down, including whatever words, phrases, or images come to mind. In this way, I am developing my own personal lexicon for the item. At this stage, I would just read bio articles, like the one below about Milk Thistle, for example.

3. [to be continued]

Kassandra

Spell Ingredients: Milk Thistle

Post by Kassandra »

milkthistle.jpg
milkthistle.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
Photo source: s232.photobucket.com/user/vechzl/media/milkthistle.jpg.html

thistle.jpg

For starters, I introduce Milk Thistle. I just love how this plant looks. I've always wanted to post about it. We have a lot that grows wild where I live. In winter the old stalks turn yellow and dry up and are all prickly, and tall (around 4 or five feet) and kind of scary, which to me looks very cool. But it's also quite beautiful in the summer, when the plant is "new," with its stunning purple flowers. They really stand out on the side of the road, like a person is standing there, like "I am Thistle, Look at me!"

Here's an article about it:

Milk Thistle

History

The historic medicinal use of milk thistle can be traced back as far as Ancient Rome where it was used as a snake bite remedy, a liver tonic and was also given to babies. In the 17th century, the great herbalist Culpepper recommended it for the liver and spleen as well as to dispel kidney stones.

In the 18th century, German researchers started taking a closer look at milk thistle and it's many benefits and today it is best known for it's ability to support and strengthen the liver. It shows promise for treating liver disease as well as protecting the liver from damage from alcohol.

Uses for Milk Thistle

Milk thistle has been seen as useful in treating a number of health issues including cirrhosis, hepatitis, liver disease and even indigestion. Some early research indicates that milk thistle may also be helpful in preventing cancer.

The active ingredient in milk thistle, a substance called silymarin, is a combination of various flavanolignans. It is found in the seeds of the milk thistle plant and has been shown to protect the liver against toxins, as well as helping the liver repair damaged cells and regenerate new ones. It enhances liver functioning, helping it detoxify the body.

Other possible benefits of milk thistle, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center, include:

* Milk thistle has traditionally been used to stimulate milk production in nursing women, however, there is no evidence to support this.

* Silymarin is a potent antioxidant, more powerful in fact, than even vitamins C and E. It is effective in neutralizing and protecting against the damaging effects of free radicals. Free radicals are the root cause of many diseases as well as premature aging.

* Milk thistle may help to normalize liver function in patients suffering from viral hepatitis, but more research is needed.

* A number of studies indicate that milk thistle helps enhance liver function in cirrhotic patients, even decreasing the number of deaths from this disease. Again, more research is needed in this area.

* It is also a proven tonic for the liver. Milk thistle strengthens the cell membranes of the liver, preventing toxins from penetrating and damaging the cell.

* Silymarin is thought to be a potent antidote for poisoning resulting from ingesting the deathcap mushroom, which causes severe liver failure.

* Milk thistle may be effective in treating damage caused by alcohol consumption and certain medication such as acetaminophen, a common ingredient in several non-aspirin pain relievers, but this is not proven.

Possible Side Effects and Cautions

Milk thistle supplements seems to be a safe, well-tolerated herbal remedy when taken in the recommended dosages. However, milk thistle has been reported to have cause headaches, itching and skin rash and stomach upsets in some patients. In a few rare cases, it has been known to cause diarrhea, appetite loss, heart burn, gas and joint pain.

The chemical constituents of this herb are known to lower blood sugar levels. As such, you should not take it if you suffer from hypoglycemia or diabetes. If you are allergic to ragweed you may also have allergic reactions to milk thistle as they are both in the Asteraceae/Compositae family of plants.

You should ask your doctor before taking milk thistle supplements if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. There is not enough evidence to support it's safety in these instances, though some herbalists say it is totally safe. Milk thistle can also interfere with certain medications that are broken down by the same liver enzymes. Medications that could interact include:

Certain allergy medications such as Allegra
Medications used to treat high cholesterol
Anti-anxiety medications
Blood thinner
Some cancer medications
As with any herbal remedy, you should consult with your doctor or herbalist before determining if you should take milk thistle.

by Kathleen Roberts
for lovetoknow.com

Source: http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/Milk_Thistle_Supplement

Here's another article, to cross reference: http://draxe.com/milk-thistle-benefits/

And you could cook the stalk, as well (if you could manage to very carefully peel away the thorns!). It has kind of a celery-like texture and taste, from what I understand.

thistle in mortar and pestle.jpg
Photo source: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2858940/From-green-tea-fish-oil-popular-alternative-medicines-harm-good-cancer-patients.html

Ruth

Re: Fun Spell Ingredients!

Post by Ruth »

This is great! So much information! Thank you for sharing. :)
Positive Thoughts and Good Vibes
Kassandra

Re: Fun with Spell Ingredients!

Post by Kassandra »

Hey, thanks. I'm just havin' fun ramblin.'

Becks

Post by Becks »

WONDERFUL THREAD! This is right up my alley and it's the way I approach plants and animal helpers myself. Essentially it's plant shamanism, and I believe these are skills everybody should learn to develop for good spell work.

Milk thistle is amazing. I don't think I have encountered it in my neck of the woods, but wow....I have met thistles but this seems to be on a whole other level. I can't comment be issue I've never held it, smelled it, talked to it etc....

Such a cool post. I can't wait for more!
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Thanks Becks. And please, if you feel inspired to write about your experiences with your favorite plant and animal helpers, by all means post! Consider this thread a communal conversation on spell ingredients. Would love to hear your insights and experiences.

Thanks.

Becks

Post by Becks »

Thank you! I would love to participate. Might be a week or two, things need to settle here, but yes! This is so exciting to me.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

We'll be here. Look forward to it. :wink:

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Kass...I love how you mentioned to use intuition in guiding one to plants suitable for spell work. It's one of the things I teach when we go on weed walks. I have people get in touch with the plant to determine how it could be used by the way the plant appears....is it sticky, does a burn fast, is it super fragrant, what color is it, do the leavee radiate all around shooting out, is it sharp, is it soft and smooth?? these are the kinds of things to take into consideration when looking for herbs to use on the fly. I also recommend however that folks do get themselves familiar with local flora and know which plants are toxic because you wouldn't want to go smushing your face all up in a poison oak or taking a little nibble of a hemlock so know your plant before you get too intimate with them.

Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

firebirdflys wrote:Kass...I love how you mentioned to use intuition in guiding one to plants suitable for spell work. It's one of the things I teach when we go on weed walks...is it sticky, does a burn fast, is it super fragrant, what color is it, do the leavee radiate all around shooting out, is it sharp, is it soft and smooth??

Yes!!

Weed walks, I like that.

Ruth

Post by Ruth »

I have a question...does anybody ever get an uneasy feeling around some plants? Like they don't want you to come near them for some reason on that particular day? I steer clear of that direction or particular plant area and I know it's a sign, that it's trying to tell me something but was just wondering if it happens to anyone else...
I only remember 2 times that it has happened...
Positive Thoughts and Good Vibes
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Can't say I can recall an occasion when I felt that, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone did. I have felt days when one of my plants needed water, and it was like, "Hey, yo, I'm dyin' over here, come on." lol It's like they will get my attention from across the room, or even from a totally different part of the house. I'll feel a "tug."

I will say that I have sensed trees mourning for a nearby tree that got cut down. That is really sad. I could feel the intense sorrow and grief the trees and shrubs were feeling. I actually cried, and tried to console the trees telepathically, telling them they had my condolences for the unfortunate loss of their brother.

Becks

Post by Becks »

I too have felt ten pull of plants...and yes, house plants that are thirsty. :)

I have got the vibe off some plants that they are to be respected and could be potentially harmful. To come upon a patch of Devil's club deep in the forest will send you a message. I hope to write about it later, but Devils Club is a powerful medicine. It is a large bush covered in spikes! Commanding? Yes. Demanding respect? Oh yeah.

On the whole though I find plant energy to be inviting and open to working provide you follow the rules and listen.

You may also be picking up on energies that make their homes within plants. Devas, beings etc that make their homes in areas. I can think of a logging road that I drive up...way up into the secluded hills. A logged patch meets the forest and there is anger, upset, and wild things other than plants that live in the border land and put out the "vibes".
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Becks

Post by Becks »

Medicine bags. Intriguing!

Return to “Advanced Witchcraft”