Egregore

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Egregore

Post by Firebird »

This topic is closely related to PSI as it represents the energy you create when working magic. The Egregore is the focused energy of a group mind. When ever you group gets together in circle the egregore is present. When you are working the mill, singing a chant, or dancing in ecstatic bliss, you give life and form to this ethereal being. Not form that can be seen by the "naked" eye. This energy takes a kind of form of it's own, and generally resides in the 'tween places, yet is at the ready when the group gets together, and grows in strength over time. It also continues to do work after you have dispersed. An entity that works with the group, for the group.
This form is also known to corporate world.
There are many articles on the Egregore. Thought I would try to sum it up in fewer words. Just to give some food for thought if you are part of a group.
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Egregore

Post by SnowCat »

I hadn't heard of egregore before now, although I'm familiar with the concept of gestalt. A group I worked with at a hospital some years ago embodied gestalt very well. When the bunch of us were on duty together, we all just knew what needed to happen. Then there were the nights when the gritchy people were working. Sigh.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Violet

Egregore

Post by Violet »

Very interesting word, too! ;)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

firebirdflys wrote:The Egregore is the focused energy of a group mind. When ever you group gets together in circle the egregore is present...you give life and form to this ethereal being. Not form that can be seen by the "naked" eye. This energy takes a kind of form of its own..It also continues to do work after you have dispersed. An entity that works with the group, for the group.
Thanks for this info, ff (I know it's kind of an older post, but just noticed it today). This made me think of how psychic development groups work. Generally, they ask their members to seriously commit and attend regularly, and don't welcome new members frequently. There is a synergy that is built up over time and the key to it is the same people attending regularly. This synergy facilities a myriad of psychic manifestations to occur during the meetings. The purpose of this is so that individuals in attendance could strengthen their respective psychic abilities, like a dojo of sorts, a psychic gymnasium.

Imagine what the Earth would look like, imagine it's "egregore" if humans stopped fighting, warring, killing, and if humans united themselves in intention, and focused on healing, intelligent distribution and use of the Earth's resources, free individual development of unique gifts for the world, and expansion of love. The riff raff here could not handle such a high vibration, and would be forced to leave! It's a shame we humans neither realize the power we possess, nor use it collectively. I ponder whether this lack may one day cost us our survival.

Doktor Avalanche

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Egregore is an old English word for the "spirit of a thing", referencing communites and organizations wh are together in like-minded goals and outcomes.

Egregore in Chaos Magic is, according to Renwick Fysen,:
"as part of a fluid continuum describing the strength of an entity. Youstart out with dumb, unintelligent sigils---these just represent something, but don't actually think. Charge a sigil long enough, and you'll end up with aservitor, which is usually either completely stupid but capable of doing complexe tasks, all the way up to being able to think onits own and deduce things in its operation.
But when a servitor gets really big, what happens to it? The moment it becomes more than one person can handle, I consider it an egregore. At this point, it becomes capable of making some of its own demands, guiding its own work (though usually along the lines of the original goal of the people who created it) and in general "taking on a life of its own".
Once you get bigger than this, you get a godform: something that has grown so strong that the people involved with it take up a subservient relationship, often worshiping it, or appealing to it for help. (My apologies to any gods not created in this fashion who may become offended by such a simple explanation for their existence.)
So you get
SIGIL --> SERVITOR --> EGREGORE --> GODFORM
Or at least, that how it works in my own little twisted version of reality."

I always found the alt.magick.chaos newsgroup to be a great source of Chaos Magic fun!
"We are of the gods, but we are not ourselves gods,
We reflect the Divine, but we are not Divinity itself"
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Doktor Avalanche,
there is a thread I started a while ago, on Chaos magick. I would love it of you share more of your knowledge about it. Chaos magick is how I started and I kept some of the practices in my current path, so yeah, I would love if you share knowledge and experience. Thanks :)

Return to “Advanced Witchcraft”