Working with Artifacts & Fossils

Serendipity

Working with Artifacts & Fossils

Post by Serendipity »

I was fortunate enough for many years to live in an area rich in Native American artifacts. I have a nice little collection of them. My collection includes:

Arrow heads of various sizes. Some of which are obviously for hunting small game.

Tomahawk head. This one is special because it is not flint. Flint was a valuable resource to Indian tribes and wouldn’t be used by a youngster to learn the art of arrow, and tomahawk, crafting. I believe this tomahawk was made by a young brave to learn the craft. After completion of these exercises the young brave would have been given flint to work with.. But, until the young man was proficient at crafting these items flint would have been too valuable to be given to him.

A flint knife.

A stone sinker.

For me these object still hold a great deal of energy, energy that I sometimes want to tap into.

In addition to the artifacts that I have I also have some fossils and use them in much the same way. Connecting to the energy in each that I sense in them and then connecting that energy to my goal through spell work.

It is important to always remember that when we tap into energies from the past we may get more than we planned for if we aren’t careful. So, it is vital that we craft our spells to be very clear about what we want to tap into, even more so than usual. And that we are also very specific about which bit of energy in the artifact we want to tap into.

Take for example my arrow heads. I only tap into the energy of those that are obviously too small to have been used for warfare. They are of sizes that would have been used for hunting very small game such as birds, squirrels and rabbits, things like that. These I occasionally use for spells involving insuring plenty in my home. I also use the stone sinker for these “plenty” spells.

My personal belief system tells me that the witch alone controls the energy of objects she is working with, and how that energy manifests. I would suggest that anyone who wants to call on power that is, for lack of a better word, external, wait until such a time as she feels like she has a good grip on her craft, and understands her own magic, and can control it very well as that is the only way a witch can be certain that she doesn’t get overwhelmed by energies other than her own.

Another thing to consider is whether or not to do a ritual cleansing of these objects. Most things I cleanse unless they come straight from nature. Most of the fossils I have I’ve purchased so they’ve been through at least a few hands and so I do a cleansing of them. But it is a very specific cleansing designed to remove anything I don’t want there from people who have handled it while leaving intact all of the great energy that has collected there over the ages. The things I don’t cleanse would be, say… a sea shell I picked up on the beach.

I also don’t cleanse the Native American artifacts I’ve picked up. I don’t buy artifacts I only collect them from nature and I want them to continue to contain the energies of the people who created them, a cleansing would purge them of those energies.

I seldom share spells simply because I believe people are better off writing their own spells, but here is one I like to use with these artifacts and fossils just so you get some idea of how I incorporate them into my practice.

A Spell to Call Power From the Past

Past and present intertwine,
The power here, I bind to mine.
I call it across the ages;
I call it past the veil;
I call it into me.
This I will, so shall it be.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Working with Artifacts & Fossils

Post by SpiritTalker »

Bump