a formal conversation with the church "council" ab

General discussion/questions about life, death, sexuality, love, teen concerns, lifestyle, & work.
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

I am very sorry that you must go through this. I thought the days of religious persecution were over! It is a shame when we live in a supposed "free" world that we still aren't allowed to seek our spiritual path without being damned by someone...especially a religious body, but then of course, they seem to be the worst ones.
Just go in there, hold your head up and speak calmly, with the peace and love of whatever divine you revere, and just answer their questions as knowledgeable and as eloquently as you can. Do not let them anger you or cause you to loose your head in front of them. I know it is easy for me to say because I have not had to go through this experience, but I please let us know when this is to occur and we certainly will start now sending you some good energies, but will make a point to be thinking about you at that time.
Blessings to you as you endure! Speak from your heart. The Gods/Goddess/your divine one will guide you!
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I might be sounding a bit cynical here, but I think there are only 3 conditions in which religious persecution will be over:

1) The entire human race agrees (and lives by that agrreement) suddenly that everybody is free to believe what they want without argument

2) The entire human race agrees suddenly that there is only one religion and interpretation thereof and how did we not see it before?

3) The entire human race is dead.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

well we all know 1 and 2 arent going to happen. 3 is very likely, but what i think is more likely is going all Equillibrium or Brave New World and removing free will.
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

i agree though 1 would be nice then finally we would have no more religious war's around

i'll post it up when i will have this "nice" conversation with those folks, could sure use that energy there to keep me calm.

thanks for the support all of you really apreciate(sp?) it
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

I have an experience that *might* help you with this situation, but I'm not sure. Because the grilling I got wasn't from a formal organization, but from an elderly, well respected but cantankerous relative. Along with another relative who I dearly respected and loved, from technically the same church, and my aunt and my mother. See, he was the family lawyer, as well as my grandfather's brother. Because of the presence of the other relative, and my aunt and mother, I had to remain very very calm and very very polite. And I couldn't badmouth Christianity, because they were all Christian, and I didn't want to get summarily kicked out of the family. Also, luckily, I didn't have such a hate-on for the religion anymore, so it was easier in a sense for me in that small regard.

No, the hardest part was that my inquisitor had no obligation to be kind, and I did.

The best advice I have for you is to pretend in your heart that this is a debate. Yes, they will defame your character, your morals and damn your soul in front of everybody. Prepare for the worst, but don't dish it back at them no matter how tempting it is. Trust me on this one.
Even if you don't have a proper label for your path at this time, clarify to yourself what your current beliefs are. Write them down if necessary. Know what they are so you can use them in your discussion. That way, no matter what they say, you present a unified polite front that cannot be assailed.

Because no matter how unified they may seem, there will always be someone who wonders about the other side, and that, my friend, will be you. However, there's something else you need to do. Mark everything they *don't* do that's negative. Keep those things in mind, mark them, and remember them. Because throughout this ordeal, you must try to respect them at some level for some thing. That way you can still keep an even temper about the whole thing. No pressure, but you don't only represent yourself, but all people of alternative religions to them. Do not let them goad you into saying things you don't mean, or things you don't want to say in front of a judge and jury.
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

great advice

i think i know a way to solve my temper using my "curse" (shutting down the rest of my emotions), but i'm sure that won't work completely in front of those guy's so thanks for the advice i think i will make that list now.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Work on shielding, too. That helps a lot, btw.

Good luck, friend!
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

don't know any shielding technique's except for the one i learned with energy work before i met the pagan way
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

alright so i bought my tarot deck today
i read allot about it before hand, and i wanted to do a 3 card spread.

i shuffled the cards with my 3 questions contantly running through my mind

the first card i pulled was for the question "will the conversation be next month?"
the second card was for the question "will it be the governing body (negative card) or just the referand (positive card)?"
and the third was for the question "will they accept my decision and respect it?"

i pulled the "9 swords" for the first question, seeing as i got a negative feeling with it and the card is a negative one, i think it said that it won't be next month (october)

then i pulled "the devil" the inmediate thought in my head was that i had to face the governing body

to the third question i pulled "the high priest" it gave me a relieved feeling, i think they will respect and accept my decision in the end.

this was the first spread i did with this deck, and already it helped me out and gave me that extra bit of confidence to go through with it.

bit i'd like to hear your opinions/interpretation of it
any thought given iis apreciated
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i think you did pretty well, though i think the devil presents a form of road block in relation to your question.
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

that could also be true since the conversation wou;d've been easier if it was just the referand
[Obsidian]

Post by [Obsidian] »

please make sure you tell us what happens. I'm really curious.

Harry
amunptah777

Post by amunptah777 »

Wow, I don't know all the details of the situation, but I have to disagree with Sercee.

My gut reaction is that it's not any of their business what religion you choose to practice and that everyone has the freedom to remove themselves from any church for any reason.

I wouldn't even allow them to pry into what you're doing. (DO they do this to adults?) That's the tell. I'm thinking they're only doing this to say "let us think for you"

I'd simply walk in and tell them that the answer to all their questions will be an emphatic "This is none of your concern. You have no authority to question me on the matter" That should end their little meeting pretty quickly.

Sorry to come sound so "rebel yell" but seriously, I was raised by a baptist minister, and if the church council had tried any of that shite with me when I was a teen, I would've told them all to fuqu off.

Thet
[Obsidian]

Post by [Obsidian] »

Oh I totally agree with you Amunptah. But she's in Holland so there might be some social norms that we're not aware of.

Harry
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

im male :P

i couldn't do that, my parent's told me to be polite and all that crap, even if christians destroyed my life i still need to be polite.

i wanted to take that opinion but my folks forced me not to.

but the conversation went kinda backsided and unscheduled :P
i ran into the referand and he wanted to know how i was, so we got talking and all that and i explained my reasons for leaving the church and not wanting to have anything to do with it.

long story short he accepted my reasoning and anounced it to the church.

another thing. the church is very very overly strict here.
you need the permission of the church to get out of it, and they can also kick you out. there was this couple who were swingers (for the one's who don't know what swingers are just google it) and they got kicked out because that is not acceptable behaviour for christians. and they were strong believers(fundy's)

at least they don't kick out gay people (at least i haven't heard of it yet)

Return to “Life, Death, and Love”