You Draw the Cards/Runes, I'll Interpret Them For You

This is where members and mods can start their own thread and offer to do readings for other members.
Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

You Draw the Cards/Runes, I'll Interpret Them For You

Post by Xiao Rong »

Alright. I've been itching to get back to doing some readings, but I can never quite find a good time to get out my cards/runes (I need to be in the right mood, have a lot of peace and quiet, etc.).

Don't know if anyone's started a thread like this yet, but here's my offer:

1. YOU draw the Tarot cards or runes. You can choose any spread and deck you want.

2. Post here with your question and the cards/runes you drew. A photo of the cards would be nice, but not necessary. You can also let me know if there were any particular flashes of intuition or feelings you got from the cards, but again, not necessary. You can give me as little or as much background information as you like.

3. I will write up my interpretation of the spread and post it here. Hopefully give me 1-3 days to respond to you (large spreads might take longer).

A couple of my specialty spreads are:

- a 6-card spread to explore your Shadow

- a 10-card Hero(ine)'s Journey Spread of my own design

- a 5- or 6-card Deity Identification/Communication spread

Feedback would be great! Thanks!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Oddball

Re: You Draw the Cards/Runes, I'll Interpret Them For You

Post by Oddball »

This sounds awesome! Quick question for tarot cards: Should we use reversals?

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Good question -- I personally do not really use reversals in my readings, because I think that having 78 unique meanings in each deck is already quite a lot! But feel free to include that information if you like : )

Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Tried uploading pics, but the app is just not cooperating :( Did the shadow spread, here are the results. No reversals:

1. Light side -the Empress
2. Shadow side - 5 of cups
3. Why I fear my shadow - 10 of pentacles
4. Why I should embrace my shadow - Queen of Pentacles
5. How to Integrate Shadow Into Light - the Tower
6. The Outcome - the Hierophant

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Oddball, here's how I understand these cards (with the caveat that this is of course all my interpretation).

Right now, everyone looks up to you as the Empress. You have a reputation for being responsible, dependable, mature, and generous; either you are a mother, or in some kind of caretaking role that requires you to be "mothering". However, your Shadow indicates that, whether you know it or not, you are chafing underneath that pressure. You're young, but you already feel that being that kind of adult is a loss. I get the feeling that you're grieving some "roads not taken", that you had to give up some youthful dreams to be the Empress (that grief is represented in the 5 of Cups). Although you don't hate your reputation of being dependable, you wonder: what if this is it for me? What if it never changes?

What you fear about the Empress is that you'll always have a stable and predictable life, but one that is utterly boring and unfulfilling. You may already know someone who is like this -- someone whom you pity because they gave up on their dreams for security. You never want to be like them, but you're worried that this is where you're going, and one day in 20 years you'll wake up and realize you are just like them.

On the other hand, the Queen of Pentacles (who is really quite similar to the Empress) asks you not to be afraid that this will happen. The Queen of Pentacles is a deep and critical part of you -- I sense that though you act the Empress in day-to-day life, you haven't quite tapped into the Queen of Pentacles yet, aligning your outsides with your insides. She is a reminder of the best possible qualities of the Empress -- someone who is strong, resourceful, and practical (as you already are). But she also has a great sense of humor and knows how to have a good time too (probably surrounded by loved ones and family). She can be as unyielding as the oak, and also as supple and flexible as the willow tree. You know that if the Queen of Pentacles because dissatisfied with her lot and life, she could just as easily change course. In that case, her strength, groundedness, and resilience would be your assets, not hindrances. (Is the Queen of Pentacles perhaps someone in your life already?).

How do you go about doing this? It seems like, if it hasn't happened already, the Tower is coming your way. The Tower might be an intimidating card, but I've learned not to be so afraid of it (at the beginning of 2015, I drew the Tower as a significator for my entire year. I was so nervous -- but it brought on so many great changes for me!). There is some kind of opportunity that has the potential to totally change your life, though it may be disguised initially as a crisis. If you're willing to take what the Tower has to offer, it may help you tap deep into that inner strength and rootedness that the Empress and the Queen of Pentacles have to offer, while embracing the change.

If you can do this, the Hierophant represents the outcome. I associate it most strongly with education -- is there an educational opportunity in your future, or perhaps a desire to be the educator? Either way, in my favorite deck, the Hierophant is represented by a tree or treant. I see that as the perfect symbol of what integrating your Shadow and your Light would be -- someone who is strongly rooted, but also is growing and changing.

I'm surprised by how many Major Arcana cards are in this reading -- seems to me to represent some pretty deep forces in your life that go beyond some temporary circumstances, possibly dating back to childhood. As you can tell, the suit of Pentacles seems to have a very strong influence here, and you may also want to reflect on your relationship with the element of Earth.

So that's my interpretation. Would love to hear your feedback, good or bad! Thanks!

Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Daaang! This really hit a chord with me. That is my fear right now - that I'm stuck in a rut. I feel like both of my parents struggle with this - my mom is trying to get back into the work force; my dad used to travel a lot (and loved it) and now he has a desk job. I work at a big medical practice and teach a lot of the new kids there. It's nice, but I can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life. I sometimes wonder if I'm compassionate enough. I don't know if I'm at "Empress" level :P , but my bosses and coworkers like me.

I've still got to search for my Queen of Pentacles. Hope s/he's out there, somewhere.

The Hierophant could be grad school. My parents have been encouraging me to do that, even though I'm not sure if it's worth. I feel like I have to do everything NOW, NOW, NOW, before it's too late. That's part of the pressure.

As for the Tower - I have no idea, but that's kind of the point of the Tower, yeah? And thanks for the reassurances. The Tower is the scariest card for me.

Do you think the 10 of Pentacles is important at all? I always thought it was a positive card; seems strange that I'd fear it. And I agree with you; this was a very Earthy spread. I rarely get patterns like that. What did you mean by Major Arcana being a deep influence?

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Oddball, sorry for the late response -- it's been a busy week! "Empress level" doesn't have to mean that you are already at a "high level" of care-giving. It's simply an important theme in your life, that may crop up again and again.

You shouldn't need to search for the Queen of Pentacles too far -- the spread indicates that she is within you! As the Charge of the Goddess says, "for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without."

The Hierophant doesn't need to be a formal education opportunity; it may not have to be that grad school opportunity. Actually, a classic sign of not having integrated your Shadow in a healthy way is doing things that you feel you are expected to do, but wouldn't choose yourself. When you've found the balance between your Light and Shadow, you can make the choice on if and when you go to grad school based on your True Will and your divine purpose, not from any external pressure. Also, the Hierophant represents that teaching and learning happen throughout our lifetimes -- there is no reason why that needs to happen now.

I do think the 10 of Pentacles is important, and I'm sorry I didn't mention this in greater detail. All cards can have positive and negatives, so even one that is associated with prosperity and abundance might be seen negatively by others. The 10 of Pentacles came up in the context of "why you fear it" -- as I mentioned, you seem to have an ambivalent relationship to Earth. Your parents have ideas about what you need to do to attain a secure lifestyle (that's the 10 of Pentacles), and you're not sure that's what you want to do.

As for the significance of Major vs. Minor Arcana, Learn Tarot has a good explanation:
A major arcana card represents an energy that is deep, strong, decisive or long-term. When a major arcana card appears in a reading, you have tapped into a powerful energy in some area of your life. The minor arcana cards do not carry the same weight, but they are still important. They chart the ups and downs of daily life and register changes in feelings and thoughts. These dramas are gripping while they occur, but they pass with time as new concerns take their place.

Compare the interpretation of two cards with similar meanings, but different weights - the Hermit (major) and the Eight of Cups (minor). The Hermit is the archetypal symbol of one who seeks truth and deeper meaning. He stands for the impulse to renounce superficial pleasures to seek understanding within. In a reading, the Hermit could hint that you are feeling a strong urge to find answers even if it means giving up aspects of your current way of life. This is not a passing fancy, but a major desire that could last for some time.

With the Eight of Cups, your interpretation might be much the same, but, as a minor arcana card, this card implies your search does not have the same force. Maybe you've been a little bored at work. Some days you feel like chucking everything to go make hats on the beach, but you don't really mean it. You are seeking, but the urge is not yet a heartfelt desire.

You could draw a minor arcana card in one reading and then draw a major arcana card about the same subject in a later reading. What started as minor has become more important over time. Similarly, a major matter can fade and lose its urgency as your life changes. You can assume that a major arcana card brings greater energy to whatever area it represents. Give that aspect extra consideration and take advantage of the power building there.

Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Hey Xiao!

Thank you so much for the reading and the super-helpful explanations. That was awesome! :D

Return to “Free Readings Offered Here”