CLOSED - Hero's Journey, Underworld, & Shadow Tarot Readings

This is where members and mods can start their own thread and offer to do readings for other members.
Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Re: Hero's Journey, Underworld, & Shadow Tarot Readings by X

Post by Xiao Rong »

Dear Nightwatcher,

Apologies for the VERY long wait, and thanks for being so patient with me! I've completed the Kore spread, like we discussed, and I was just gobsmacked by how much the theme of "learning" jumped out at me when I was doing the reading / typing up my analysis afterwards, so apologies if I belabor the point a bit. Here we go!

1. The Offering: Queen of Swords (honest, astute, forthright, witty, experienced)

In the first stage of the journey to Eleusis, would-be initiates seeking to meet Demeter and Kore bore an offering, something they had to give up in sacrifice. In the context of this reading, I believe that it's about letting go of the Persona of the Queen of Swords. The Queen of Swords is the kind of person who already knows everything there is to know; she is a teacher, not a student. You can see in my deck how she holds herself in a guarded, defensive stance. In order to be receptive to the knowledge that Kore imparts, she needs to let her guard down and be open to new ideas (rather than ripping them to shreds). As the Buddhists say, you can't add water to an already-full cup.

2. The Procession: 9 of Pentacles (discipline, self-reliance, and pursuing refinement)

The Procession card represents what separates your journey to Eleusis from your day-to-day activity. Particularly, the 9 of Pentacles signifies that at this time you need to show restraint and self-control. As the Queen of Swords suggests, you need to be open to new ideas at this time, even if they may seriously challenge you. I wonder if this is advising you not to dismiss things out of hand just as a gut reaction or because they make you feel uncomfortable, but when Kore shows you new knowledge to consider them seriously and ask yourself why you feel the way you do, and to consider new ideas seriously.

3. The Torch: Ace of Swords (mental force, fortitude, justice, truth)

The Torch lights your way and guides you in your journey. Here, the Torch is the Ace of Swords, which is the purest representation of the intellect, truth, reason, and justice. It makes sense to me that since this reading has strong themes about learning and knowledge that you would get "earlier" representations of the Swords suit. In this case, it's a reminder to let go of what you think you know and believe (remember the Queen's defensive stance) and instead be guided by your curiosity, your purest impulse to know and to learn, and to speak only your heart's truth.

4. The Kykeon: Page of Swords (using your mind, being truthful, just, and brave)

The Kykeon is the barley drink that pilgrims to Eleusis imbibed; it shows you something that you take into yourself to replace that which you offered up to Kore. Here, we see yet another card from the Swords suit that precedes the Queen. The Page of Swords I typically associate with children or those who are young at heart, who are perpetual learners and are always asking more questions ("Why? Why? Why?"). Unlike adults (like the Queen), they are unemcumbered by biases or ideologies or fixed ways of thinking; their minds are fluid, adaptive, and malleable (in the best way). It's that attitude that you will need to understand what Kore has to teach you.

5. The Basket: King of Pentacles (enterprising, adept, reliable, supporting, steady)

As you journey to Eleusis, guided by torchlight, you carry something in a basket, something that is unique to you that you take with you to encounter Kore. As such, I don't really know what this signifies, since this card will most likely mean a lot more to you than I can tell you, although I will say that the King of Pentacles can either represent a person in your life (a mature, older person who represents all the best qualities of Earth -- not necessarily a man) or encourage you to do as he does and let yourself be inspired by him. (check out the Shadowscapes King of Pentacles for more inspiration).

6. Things Said: Hierophant (education, belief system, conformity)

We know little about what happened during the actual rituals in Eleusis (initiates were sworn to secrecy and kept their vows well), but we do know that the rituals took 3 phases: Things Said, Things Seen, and Things Done. In the first phase, Things Said reflects a communication that is part of the mysteries of the Goddess. The original creator of theis spread said that if the Hierophant card were to appear, it was to be interpreted in the best possible light (the Hierophant was a priest in Kore's mysteries), as opposed to its rather negative modern associations with hierarchy, rigidly formalized religion, etc. Again, the strong emphasis on learning is evident here: the Hierophant is the ultimate teacher. I wonder if this is a sign from Kore to really listen to what the Hierophant (who is an authority of society who socializes each of us) says, or perhaps even multiple Hierophants (as is the case in our society now). Ask questions, think, and listen.

7. Things Seen: 4 of Swords (rest, contemplation, quiet preparation).

This card represents an experience that is a part of the mysteries, and often indicates how others have played the role of the goddess to you. Here, the 4 of Swords indicates a quiet moment of peace and stillness. In the suit of Swords, I would say it's the "listening" card, the one that urges you to step back and gain perspective. The active nature of the Swords suit would encourage action, slicing and dicing, cut first and ask questions later. This one urges you to think before you speak. Has something like this happened to you recently where you took a moment of rest and that helped a lot?

8. Things Done: 10 of Cups (joy, peace, serenity, family)

This card is meant to inspire you to find ways that you can play the role of the goddess towards others. The 10 of Cups is a wonderful omen of joy and peace, and I imagine that once the Queen of Swords lets her guard down, she can experience bliss and serenity, and in turn pass it on to others. Look for ways to realize joy and to create peace.

9. The Stalk of Grain: Hermit (introspective, searching, guidance, solitude)

Upon leaving Eleusis, initiates bore a stalk of grain with them -- Kore's symbol of new life and rebirth from the Underworld. It is said that when initiates returned from the Underworld, they no longer had any fear of death. Here, your stalk of grain is your unique lesson in this situation that you take back with you from your encounter with the Goddess. As the Hermit, I think this yet another card that emphasizes learning and knowledge. In contrast with the Queen of Swords' somewhat more aggressive attitude, the Hermit is quiet and pensive, an eternal learner who can freely give and receive guidance, and this is what Kore means to teach you.

Phew! I hope that all made more sense to you than it did to me, especially since so many of the symbols are likely to be much more meaningful to you than anything I can see. Hope that helps, and let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Xiao
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

Thank you Xiao!

Yes, I know EXACTLY what this is telling me. It's a lesson I tend to need to be beaten into me repeatedly.. >.> I'm pretty intelligent and knowledgeable and a lot of my friends come to me for guidance. And I'm pretty prideful about that fact. But that also causes me a lot to stop learning and become harsher and defensive when others try to impart knowledge to me either through debate or opinion. Which is my fault, honestly, not theirs.

While I do not work with Persephone, I remembered reading that you had worked with or are currently working with Persephone, so I thought you doing this spread for me would allow her to impart and message she had for me via the reading. Thank you very much for this. ^^
"Hail Artemis! Divine Lady of the Hunt! Second to none and conqueror of my spirit!"
"Hail Apollon! Bright Leader of the Muses! Who gives disease and cures via deadly arrows!"

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Glad it was helpful to you, Nightwatcher!

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Dear BabyBear,

Here is your reading -- apologies again for taking so long! So I got certain vibes from your reading that strongly suggested people who are currently in your life (or soon will be). Of course, I'll remind you that this represents only one possible future, and any decisions that you make are entirely up to you.

1. The Heroine: Ace of Pentacles (opportunity for prosperity, abundance, security)

In the beginning of your journey, there seems to be some kind of opportunity for prosperity (new job? new business venture?) that you are seriously considering. The Ace of Pentacles is the purest representation of everything the element of Earth has to offer, and this is very appealing at the time.

2. The Call: 10 of Wands (overextending, burdened, struggling)

This call comes to you at a time when you already have quite a lot on your plate. You're struggling to keep a lid on it as it is, and pursuing this new venture may seem crazy on top of everything else. But this could also be just the thing you need to get you out of your current drudgery. You might be busy, but it's not the stuff that really matters to you.

3. Refusal of the Call: King of Swords (intellectual, analytical, articulate, just, ethical)

Throughout your reading, I got the impression that the cards were referring to a number of people throughout your life. In this case, I suspect that there is or will be someone in your life (possibly a male someone, though not necessarily) who embodies the King of Swords' energy: someone who is always rational, analytical, head ruling over heart. (could also very well be you internalizing the King of Swords' voice in your head) He will undoubtedly tell you that this business venture is unwise and foolish, and you may have to confront those feelings. I can't tell you what to do -- all choices are up to you -- but you also have to consider your heart. Beyond merely considering whether it's rational or irrational, you also have to ask: is this venture something that you need to pursue?

4. The Guide: 7 of Swords (running away, lone wolf, hidden dishonor)

Beyond the traditional card meanings, I kind of got a flash of intuition that the figure on this card is really significant to you at this time. He's a trickster, more likely to use cunning than force. He's quick on his feet and agile. This is the energy that you may need during this time to succeed if you embark on this venture. Alternately, s/he may be someone in your life whom you already know. You could benefit from their guidance, although due to their trickster nature you should probably take what they say with a grain of salt ; )

5. The Road of Trials: The Emperor (fathering, structure, authority, regulation)

You'll find that one major obstacle to you will the the Emperor's energies. The Emperor represents order; he abhors chaos and wants to keep things well-regulated and predictable, preferably under his control. Which, of course, contrasts nicely with the Trickster figure we mentioned earlier, who never does anything by the books. Here, the Emperor is possibly either your internalized preference for structure or someone you know (potentially a father figure) who will conflict with you during your venture. Again, as the Trickster suggests, being able to think quick on your feet, to take a little risk, to do things a little unconventionally will be of benefit to you here.

6. The Dragon: King of Cups (wise, calm, diplomatic, caring, tolerant)

Here, your greatest challenge will be the King of Cups. When I created this card spread, I meant for the card in this position to give a clue to either WHAT your greatest challenge will be or HOW to defeat it. In this case (and especially when I discuss the next card), I think that the King of Cups is a signal as to whom will represent your greatest obstacle in your venture. While the King's energies are often very positive, I think at this time he is more negative than positive -- think Poseidon, the God of the Sea who can be tempestuous and volatile; on a good day, it's all smooth sailing, but when things get bad, the seas can change in a heartbeat to be huge waves and blustering wind. Again, let the Trickster be your guide when you over come him.

7. Death: 5 of Cups (loss, bereavement, regret)

The "Death" position in the Heroine's Journey represents that which she must shed and leave behind. Here, I think it is the end of some kind of relationship that you have to let go. It served you well, but it is time for both parties to move on. Of course, this may take many forms besides breaking up with a romantic partner (whether that's shedding a toxic friendship, or letting go of your idealized fantasy of someone who hasn't lived up to your expectations, or simply loosening their hold on your heart). I suspect this is related to the King of Cups in your life (although you would know better than I) Again, everything here is your choice, and this is but one opinion at your disposal when you make any final decisions, but you may need this in order to gain something new and better in its stead.

8. New Knowledge Gained: 9 of Pentacles (discipline, self-reliance, restraint, pursuing refinement)

In place of what you lost in Death, you gain the 9 of Pentacles, which shows discipline and self-reliance. If you have come this far in the Heroine's Journey, you have learned so much and gained new skills, and that's all you! Be confident in your own abilities; you can find everything you need within you.

9. The Boon: Page of Pentacles (opportunity for enrichment, comfort, abundance, trust)

The Boon represents what you take back with you from your adventure. In the light of the rest of this reading, I suspect that you become the Page of Pentacles -- a messenger of hope for abundance and prosperity. I have sometimes seen this card associated with Hestia, the Goddess of the Hearth, who is self-sufficient and can seek and find her own contentment (not to mention succeed in whatever she puts her mind to).

10. The Heroine Returned: Justice (responsible, weighing both sides of decision, cause and effect)

You return from the journey, wiser than before. Here, Justice represents responsibility and being able to weigh both sides of the decision. Here, I suspect that you will have gained a new ability to see with clear eyes and judge accordingly, which will go a long way in aiding you in your new venture.

Hope you enjoyed the reading and that it made sense and all! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Xiao

BabyBear
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by BabyBear »

thanks so much Xiao
this has given me a lot to figure out, your reading was great and i think i know on some aspects of it like the trickster and stuff and others im foggy on so im going to sleep on it and analyze it some more when im not on vacation

this actually fits in quite nicely as to what i was hoping it would tell me about and it makes since but then again it dosnt so thats why im going to have to figure it out some more lol
got to love a reading that answers everything yet leaves you confused lol

lol btw the trickster card you showed me fits Gavin like to the T lol which btw is the business venture (its actually a new relationship)

Yex

Post by Yex »

I'd be interested in having either the shadow work spread or the hero's journey spread done. I'll leave it up to your intuition as to which feels more right for me. I'm ok with having the results posted publicly.
love is the whole and more than all

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Yex! I can do a Tarot reading for you ... I'll try to have it up in the next few days since I'm now completely caught up (although fair warning: last time I said it would take me a few days, it took me more than a month to get around to it ... so who knows. Sorry about the uncertainty)

Yex

Post by Yex »

Thank you! And if it takes a little while, I can be patient. :)

Queen of the Dead

Post by Queen of the Dead »

I'd like a Tarot Reading with the Kore spread please! If you aren't too busy, of course.
Happiness is hiding so you can appreciate it more when you find it. Keep looking.

Lana || Pansexual || Witch of Persephone and Hades || Eclectic Pantheist

Can't wait for Yule!

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Queen of the Dead! I'd be happy to do the Kore spread for you -- might take a few days, but it'll get done : )

Queen of the Dead

Post by Queen of the Dead »

Xiao Rong wrote:Hi Queen of the Dead! I'd be happy to do the Kore spread for you -- might take a few days, but it'll get done : )
Thank you so much!
Happiness is hiding so you can appreciate it more when you find it. Keep looking.

Lana || Pansexual || Witch of Persephone and Hades || Eclectic Pantheist

Can't wait for Yule!

Lyra_86

Post by Lyra_86 »

Hello Xiao, I see you have a few requests still lined up but just whilst I have found this thread I was wondering if it would be possible to fit in a Shadow Work reading for me please? Obviously I understand I'll need to be patient, no rush :)
Thank you.

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Certainly, Lyra, although it may be a couple of weeks.

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Yex,

Here's your Heroine's Journey reading:

1. The Heroine: 8 of Wands (taking quick action, receiving news, a journey)

This is a card of motion and excitement. Right now, there is some journey or undertaking -- maybe even a romantic prospect -- that will appear to you (if it hasn't already). I get the impression that you just finished a particular chapter of your life, and the next one is coming up on you fast!

2. The Call: Page of Wands (creative, enthusiastic, confident, courageous)

It seems that the calling mentioned in the 8 of Wands is something that requires creativity, enthusiasm, and above all, passion. The Page of Wands indicates, in particular, a child-like quality to this enthusiasm -- not in a bad way, but perhaps it's something you've dreamed of since you were a child, or it appeals to your inner sense of fun and joie de vivre that sometimes gets sucked out of adult life. You know that this is something that would excite you and reinvigorate your life, should you choose to accept it.

3. Refusal of the Call: 9 of Wands (defensiveness, perseverance, stamina)

In contrast to the Page of Wands is this card, which represents why you might hesitate to act on the Call. Here, we can see the 9 of Wands' world-weary, slightly jaded energies at work. I believe that, in reference to your earlier journey, you may be exhausted (spiritually, emotionally, and/or physically) and not quite ready for this next journey, which kind of snuck upon you when you were hoping to get some rest. But the hidden lesson of the 9 of Wands is to persevere, to keep going. You might be tired, but the Page of Wands has an important opportunity for you that you can't miss.

4. The Guide: 2 of Cups (connection, attraction)

The 2 of Cups is strongly associated with the Lovers, so it seems like your guide in this process is that strong, deep, emotional connection (or the person for whom you feel this way). Follow that connection and keep an open heart -- it will help see you through your challenges.

5. Road of Challenges: 2 of Swords (blocking emotions, avoiding the truth, stalemate)

One of the recurring themes in your journey will be facing a particular mental barrier in your mind. The 2 of Swords indicates blocking off some emotions, or perhaps trying to avoid a particular truth about yourself. When the time comes, remember your guide, the 2 of Cups; remember to keep your heart open and to honor your feelings.

6. The Dragon: Knight of Cups (romantic, imaginative, fanciful, sensitive)

Your greatest challenge will be the Knight of Cups. I find the Shadowscapes image of him to be particularly evocative -- a knight questing after a vision of a grail. Frequently the court cards represent a particular person in your life who embodies this energy (someone who's a romantic at heart -- occasionally to a fault). But in this case I was getting the vibe that this wasn't a person, but a particular fantasy that you are holding on to (similar to what the 2 of Swords was mentioning -- avoiding a truth). It is a beautiful dream, but I get the impression that your greatest challenge for this chapter of your life is learning to let it go.

7. Death: 7 of Cups (wishful thinking, indulging in fantasies, many options, falling into dissipation)

The "Death" position in my spread represents what you have to let go of ... and yet again it seems to signify some fantasy of yours that you have been indulging. While the daydreams and wishful thinking may be pleasant, it isn't meant to come to anything. You need to let it go if you are to grow and change for the better.

8. New Knowledge Gained: 9 of Cups (wish fulfillment, satisfaction, sensual pleasure, assured bounty)

Yet another card that has to do with wishes! Paradoxically, this suggests that your wish and dreams will be fulfilled. I can see this playing out in two possible ways. It's possible that you needed to accept the possibility that your dream may not come to pass in order for it to have room to grow and be fulfilled. (for instance, I have a friend who hated being single, and was desperate to find anyone to date. Unfortunately, her desperation frequently drove men away. It wasn't until she accepted that she could be single for a while and learned to love herself that she started having better luck dating).

Or (I am more inclined to think this is what this card is indicating) you will discover that your fantasy represented by the Knight of Cups was not what you truly wanted in your heart of hearts. And by letting it go, you will be open to finding out what your heart truly desires, and in doing so, you can invite the universe to fulfill it for you. You may very well discover that what you truly wanted you had with you all along, and now you will appreciate them with renewed joy. All in all, I think this is a positive omen, if you can accept the lessons of the previous cards.

9. The Boon: 4 of Pentacles (possession, control, blocking change)

The Boon is the gift that you bring back that enriches both you and the world around you. I think in the context of the rest of this reading, it seems that you bring back the lesson of the 4 of Pentacles, which is that you cannot control everything (I am reminded of the serenity prayer, which asks for the serenity to accept that which you can't change, the courage to change what you can, and the wisdom to know the difference). It seems that a lot of your journey involves letting go of some things that are outside of your control -- in part, giving up the illusion that the ego can control all. While that may seem like resignation, in truth, it is going with the flow of the universe and in turn opening yourself to the universe's blessings.

10. The Heroine Returned: 3 of Wands (exploration, foresight, looking ahead)

The final card represents you at the end of your journey. I feel like this card just represents that this demonstrates that this journey was but a chapter of a much longer one. You will learn a lot and carry those with you wherever you go next -- in particular, that change is constant and to appreciate the journey for what it is.

--

A couple of final notes: I get the impression from your cards that this is primarily about some relationships in your life (probably romantic). In particular, I noticed that the elements of fire and water have a lot to offer you at this time (your reading had a LOT of Cups and Wands), which could be worth meditating on at this time.

Hope this reading was helpful to you! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Xiao

Yex

Post by Yex »

(Sorry for not replying until now, I've been on vacation and just read this)

Thanks so much for the reading! It gives quite a bit of insight into my current situation, and I will spend some time meditating on this and allowing it to guide me as I move forward into the next chapter of my life.

I'm very much at a turning point in my life, and there are a few ways I could interpret this reading, applying to both creative and romantic endeavors. The reading has allowed me to look at some of these issues in a new way, and I'm grateful for that.

Also, it is true that water and fire are very important elements in my journey. Of my astrological signs, amongst my sun, moon, and rising signs, two are fire signs and one is a water sign. The interplay between the passionate spark of fire and the astral, drifty quality of water is a central theme of my quest. I will pay attention to this juxtaposition as I move forward.

Return to “Free Readings Offered Here”