CLOSED - Hero's Journey, Underworld, & Shadow Tarot Readings

This is where members and mods can start their own thread and offer to do readings for other members.
Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

CLOSED - Hero's Journey, Underworld, & Shadow Tarot Readings

Post by Xiao Rong »

[Update Jan. 30, 2015: Hi everyone, I've closed this particular thread due to time constraints. If you'd like me to do a reading for you, please see my new thread offerings here: Xiao's Tarot Readings: 1-3 Cards]

-------------------------------------

Hey everyone! I mentioned this in my Persephone post, but I'd like to offer free readings with my Shadowscape tarot deck. As you know, I have written elsewhere on the forum extensively about Underworld Journeys and Shadow work, so the tarot spreads I will do are:

1) The Kore Spread by Literata, which focuses on Underworld Journeys, for the purpose of getting to know Persephone better and guidance on your personal Underworld Journey/dark time

2) The Shadow Work Spread: a 6-card spread of my own invention, if you want to gain insight on your Shadow side and how to reconcile it

3) The Hero(ine)'s Journey Spread: A 10-card spread that I am developing as an adaptation of the monomyth, because we are all heroes of our own stories and with our own great battles to fight

I would recommend the Heroine's Journey Spread or the Kore Spread for a particular problem / phase in your life; Shadow Work is better suited for doing in-depth exploration of the self.

(I'm not offering general or relationship readings, because I feel like there are many other excellent readers on the forum offering them.)

As always, I will offer the disclaimer that all these readings are purely for entertainment purposes, and not a substitute for medical, legal, or psychological advice. These are solely my interpretations of the cards, and represent only one possible future.

If you'd like a reading, please reply below, and let me know if you'd prefer to receive your response publicly or privately. You're welcome to give me as little or as much background on your situation as you like, although more background on your situation will help me tailor my interpretation of the cards to your situation better.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

BabyBear
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Re: Hero's Journey, Underworld, & Shadow Tarot Readings by X

Post by BabyBear »

hey Xiao i would love to have a Shadow Works Spread done for me :) I dont much like doing them for myself but love your spread
also do you mind if i use it for a friend who likes the ideal of the spread?

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I'm torn between the Kore spread and the Shadow work spread. So if you feel comfortable I'd like your intuition to guide you on what spread to use. If not I'll probably flip a coin. I think that right now in my life all three spreads would be useful but those are the two that are standing out the most for me. Let me know if you need a choice from me. I trust your intuition.

These details may help you decide which spread would be best:

As for details I have a lot of emotional issues. This is not uncommon for one who has gone through several forms of abuse in their life from sexual abuse as a baby and toddler to verbal and mental emotional abuse while growing up. This is the reason I have been in and out of therapy my whole life.

While I am a water sign my temper is as fiery as a fire sign or worse (because water signs have deep strong emotions). My temper aspect scares me. I reign it in tight because I fear loss of control. The one time I started to loose control I threw a glass at my parents and it shattered giving me a cut on my wrist slightly above the vein.

I have a strong fear of rejection due to the fact that I feel my bio mother did not fight hard enough to keep me, and then my foster mother sent me away to the family that adopted me. This is part of why I have difficulty with relationships, the longer they have lasted the deeper the fear of rejection is for me.

With all this trauma I know I have soul pieces I need to retrieve. Shamanic work is on my list to do at some point when I can set aside the funds for it and find the proper person. Some of my spiritual work has helped me get to a point where I can get some through my own work but still need an aid of sorts.

So thats what I feel like sharing for helping you provide context for the reading. Which ever one you choose I will listen to.

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

@ BabyBear: Sure, I'll have your reading results soon (hopefully in the next few days). Would you prefer me to PM you or post it on this thread?

@ Loona: Well, since what you're describing seems to be related to you exploring yourself (soul pieces, as you say), I think a Shadow work spread might be a better fit right now (I feel like the Kore spread is helpful for particular phases in your life). How does that sound? And would you prefer PM or posted on this thread? (like BabyBear's, it'll be a couple of days).

BabyBear
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by BabyBear »

umm i guess its find posting it on here so others can get an ideal of what you have going and how you read, just if you find anything extra personal personal that you think you should only tell me then pm me it instead

people tend to have strong images pop up when they do spreads for me and some of them can be peronal others are just general things they pick up

TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Hey Xiao,
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd love to have a shadow reading.
Loona wynd and I seem to have a similar upbringing, and I think the Shadow Works reading would be the most beneficial to me. I fully believe in embracing the good and the bad.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows

Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Xiao Rong wrote:Hero's Journey, Underworld, & Shadow Tarot Readings by Xiao
Epic.

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Xiao Rong wrote:Hero's Journey, Underworld, & Shadow Tarot Readings by Xiao
Epic.
Lol, thanks Kassandra!

@Twilight Dancer: No problem, I can do that (although I probably won't be able to get it to you until at least next week, sorry). PM or public post?

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

Okay, BabyBear, here's your reading! Hmm, this was a fascinating spread ... Again, this is solely my interpretation. There are some things that will probably make more sense to you than they will to me. So, here we go:

The first card represents what you know and accept about yourself (the "Light"); for you, this is the Magician, which is the embodiment of the individual, conscious will. You believe in yourself, you are usually confident in what you want to do, and you can achieve it with great determination.

The second card represents what you do NOT know and what you reject about yourself (the "Shadow"). This card was the 3 of Pentacles, which usually represents teamwork, but as your Shadow, I wonder if you have had negative experiences working with groups or people in the past. This isn't to say that you don't have friends, but you're more of a lone wolf in the way that you operate, and sometimes you feel like people bring you down or hinder you when you'd rather be focused and get what you want. Maybe you sometimes get exasperated or frustrated with people; sometimes you wonder if relationships with people are worth it, and you may have been frustrated when you see others overreliant or dependent on outside help. The truth, though, is that everyone needs other people at some point in their lives or another, and while prizing your independence isn't a bad thing, being unable to recognize when you need help from others has cost you in the past. That's your Shadow -- that you fear dependence on others, but this may have prevented you from being honest with yourself what you need from others, and when others may have needed you.

The third card I drew represents why you fear the Shadow; this card was the Queen of Wands, who is upbeat, self-assured, energetic, and creative. You're reasonably happy with the way you are, and you don't feel like you need others. Like I said before, you're worried that getting emotionally tangled with other people's lives might just wind up dragging you down.

The fourth card I drew represents why you should embrace the Shadow; this card is the Three of Cups, which symbolizes exuberance, friendship, and community. This shows you what you are missing, but also what you could stand to gain -- deeper friendships, greater intimacy, getting support during hard times, etc. There are some things that you cannot experience alone; others' happiness multiplies your own.

The fifth card I drew represents how to integrate your Shadow and your Light. This card is the Hierophant, which represents tradition, community, and group identity. I think this is yet another sign that you have to let go of your lone wolf tendencies, at least a little bit. Maybe it means finding some kind of group that you feel like you belong to. Which may be difficult at first, but will get easier with time.

The sixth card I drew represents the outcome if you manage to integrate your Shadow and your Light. This card is the Hermit, which represents solitude, the search for wisdom, and guidance. At first it seemed a little paradoxical to the rest of the reading, but my instinct suggests to me that one thing that you feel like you've been needing for a while is some kind of teacher or mentor figure(s) for guidance (magical or otherwise). Once you've let go of your desire to be totally independent, you can open yourself up to further growth with the guidance and wisdom that you can only get from others' experience.

A couple of notes on your reading overall: the cards were very split between singular figures (The Magician, the Queen of Wands, the Hierophant, the Hermit) and cards of three (3 of Cups, 3 of Pentacles). Also, the Hierophant, the 3 of Cups, and the 3 of Pentacles are cards that all reinforce each other, so I think that this theme of solitude/independence vs. interdependence is particularly strong in your reading.

Anyways, hope this shed some light on your situation. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Xiao Rong wrote:
@Twilight Dancer: No problem, I can do that (although I probably won't be able to get it to you until at least next week, sorry). PM or public post?
That sounds perfect, thankyou.
Public is fine with me. :)

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Xiao Rong wrote:
@ Loona: Well, since what you're describing seems to be related to you exploring yourself (soul pieces, as you say), I think a Shadow work spread might be a better fit right now (I feel like the Kore spread is helpful for particular phases in your life). How does that sound? And would you prefer PM or posted on this thread? (like BabyBear's, it'll be a couple of days).
The shadow work spread sounds good. It can be posted here. I dont mind waiting.

Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

May I please request a Shadow Work spread? If it's okay, I'd like like to send you my background info via PM as it's a little personal.

BabyBear
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by BabyBear »

Xiao Rong wrote:Okay, BabyBear, here's your reading! Hmm, this was a fascinating spread ... Again, this is solely my interpretation. There are some things that will probably make more sense to you than they will to me. So, here we go:

The first card represents what you know and accept about yourself (the "Light"); for you, this is the Magician, which is the embodiment of the individual, conscious will. You believe in yourself, you are usually confident in what you want to do, and you can achieve it with great determination.

The second card represents what you do NOT know and what you reject about yourself (the "Shadow"). This card was the 3 of Pentacles, which usually represents teamwork, but as your Shadow, I wonder if you have had negative experiences working with groups or people in the past. This isn't to say that you don't have friends, but you're more of a lone wolf in the way that you operate, and sometimes you feel like people bring you down or hinder you when you'd rather be focused and get what you want. Maybe you sometimes get exasperated or frustrated with people; sometimes you wonder if relationships with people are worth it, and you may have been frustrated when you see others overreliant or dependent on outside help. The truth, though, is that everyone needs other people at some point in their lives or another, and while prizing your independence isn't a bad thing, being unable to recognize when you need help from others has cost you in the past. That's your Shadow -- that you fear dependence on others, but this may have prevented you from being honest with yourself what you need from others, and when others may have needed you.

The third card I drew represents why you fear the Shadow; this card was the Queen of Wands, who is upbeat, self-assured, energetic, and creative. You're reasonably happy with the way you are, and you don't feel like you need others. Like I said before, you're worried that getting emotionally tangled with other people's lives might just wind up dragging you down.
You got me lol, i tend to just do everything on my own for fear that someone else will mess it up or as you said bring me down, ive learnt depending on others leads to not so good out comes 90% of the time
that and growing up because of how my mom was you just learnt not to try and make friends cus you just let them down
it wasnt till high school 11th grade that i started actually having alot of friends i actually hung out with outside of school
Xiao Rong wrote:
The fourth card I drew represents why you should embrace the Shadow; this card is the Three of Cups, which symbolizes exuberance, friendship, and community. This shows you what you are missing, but also what you could stand to gain -- deeper friendships, greater intimacy, getting support during hard times, etc. There are some things that you cannot experience alone; others' happiness multiplies your own.

The fifth card
I drew represents how to integrate your Shadow and your Light. This card is the Hierophant, which represents tradition, community, and group identity. I think this is yet another sign that you have to let go of your lone wolf tendencies, at least a little bit. Maybe it means finding some kind of group that you feel like you belong to. Which may be difficult at first, but will get easier with time.

The sixth card I drew represents the outcome if you manage to integrate your Shadow and your Light. This card is the Hermit, which represents solitude, the search for wisdom, and guidance. At first it seemed a little paradoxical to the rest of the reading, but my instinct suggests to me that one thing that you feel like you've been needing for a while is some kind of teacher or mentor figure(s) for guidance (magical or otherwise). Once you've let go of your desire to be totally independent, you can open yourself up to further growth with the guidance and wisdom that you can only get from others' experience.
I have to agree that ive been thinking thats what i need, more people to hang out with that are "me" but living where I do its not an option. I have thought about it thought and am glad that its in the cards that i should try and find a community and a mentor. And you were right instinct wise, the Hermits search for wisdom includes learning from others even in his solitude.
Xiao Rong wrote: A couple of notes on your reading overall: the cards were very split between singular figures (The Magician, the Queen of Wands, the Hierophant, the Hermit) and cards of three (3 of Cups, 3 of Pentacles). Also, the Hierophant, the 3 of Cups, and the 3 of Pentacles are cards that all reinforce each other, so I think that this theme of solitude/independence vs. interdependence is particularly strong in your reading.

Anyways, hope this shed some light on your situation. Please let me know if you have any more questions!
Thanks for the reading it was spot on and something ive actually been thinking about for about a year now so just affirms that I need to be more social and find people who i can talk to and just learn from in general

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

@BabyBear -- glad you liked it!

@Obsidian -- sure, feel free to PM me! Although I won't be able to get to your reading until at least next week.

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Post by Xiao Rong »

@ Loona Wynd:

Here are the results of your Shadow Work spread! Usual disclaimer that this is solely my interpretation, etc.

1. Your Light - What You Know and Embrace About Yourself: The Knight of Pentacles
The Knight of Pentacles is unwavering, thorough, and hardworking. This is an aspect of you that yourself that you are proud of; in your many pursuits, you tend to be a perfectionist and an achiever who knows what she wants and is diligent enough to achieve it (as can be seen through your many thorough studies of the many aspects of witchcraft).

2. Your Shadow - What You Don’t Know or Reject About Yourself: The Hierophant
The Hierophant represents tradition, culture, and institutions; it is emblematic of structure and conformity. In light of the rest of the reading and as it appears in juxtaposition to Your Light (the Knight of Pentacles), I think this is a fine line that you are struggling with consciously -- how much do you want to conform? How much do you want to be an independent free spirit? There is a great deal of security in adhering to the Hierophant, with its rigid structure, rules, and hierarchy, (and your Knight of Pentacles excels in that environment) but to some extent it is also stifling your natural creativity and independence. I also suspect that you feel like you don't feel like you don't totally belong to the Hierophant's world. In the Shadowscapes Tarot, the Hierophant is a tree with roots that extend deep into the earth, but you can't fully connect to your roots (in part because of your search for your biological mother). I think what this comes down to is that you don't feel like you can fully trust yourself and so you depend on the Hierophant's structure; in this way, your Knight of Pentacles is somewhat unguided, unsure of her footing. You can succeed, if only you could decide your path. But the Hierophant as your Shadow may be signifying that you have to do some inward journeying -- take a break from the outside world, to look within.

3. Why You Fear Your Shadow: 4 of Cups
The 4 of Cups is unaware, self-absorbed, isolated, and disengaged from the world. My instinct is that you are worried that if you disengaged from the Hierophant to do your solitary journey, you are going to entirely lose yourself in your tumultuous emotions, which is a Pandora's box that you're afraid to really open up and see what's inside. Without the Hierophant's structure, you won't have any direction at all.

4. Why You Should Embrace Your Shadow: Queen of Cups
However, another Water sign comes up to reassure you that an inward journey will be fruitful in the best way possible. The Queen of Cups is loving, tender-hearted, intuitive, psychic, and spiritual; her heart wins over her head. Like I mentioned before, you haven't trusted yourself enough to open that Pandora's box, but Pandora's box also brings gifts. I think if you trust yourself to do this inward journey, you will find that you have it in you to be the true Queen of Cups -- the mistress of her own emotions, calm and at peace, generous enough to share her wisdom with others.

5. How to Integrate the Shadow and the Light: 7 of Swords
The 7 of Swords, in this case, I think is an indication that you do need to make that solitary journey. It represents the lone wolf -- the desire to rune alone and free. That's something that you've always yearned for, but held back by the Hierophant. It's time to indulge that urge, to try your hand at an independent pursuit and see what you're capable of, and in the process go through that inner journey, to unlock the Queen of Cups' full potential.

6. The Outcome: 9 of Pentacles
I think this final card shows a really positive outcome for you if you do manage to reconcile your Shadow and your Light. The 9 of Pentacles shows someone who is self-assured, confident in her own abilities, in tune with her Authentic Self. In my imagination, the energy of the 9 of Pentacles can choose of her own free will when she wants to work with the Hierophant, and on her own terms, bringing her unique gifts of creativity (and in your case, the Knight of Pentacles' drive and ambition). The 9 of Pentacles also foretells material success, and more importantly, the ability to pursue greater things, such as creativity and spirituality, when one is freed of the constant distraction of financial concerns.

I always like to do a quick analysis of the elements that the cards invoke. First of all, you have 3 cards that represent the element of earth and material concerns (the Knight of Pentacles, the 9 of Pentacles, and the Hierophant -- which, as I mentioned before, has roots stretching deep into the earth). You mentioned that you're a water sign, but identify more with fire -- I also see a lot of the intellectual, "head-y" nature of air in you. The strong presence of water (when it comes to why you fear and why you should embrace your Shadow) represents that water may be your Shadow element, and you'll need to spend some time working with it ... and in doing so you'll be able to access the best parts of earth.

Anyways, I hope this reading shed some light on your Shadow (har, har). Let me know if you have questions!

Cheers,
Xiao

P.S. I just noticed that Heartsong's reading for you also included a Queen of Cups and a 4 of Cups. Sounds like the universe is really trying to tell you something with those cards!

Return to “Free Readings Offered Here”