Sharing An Exercise for Moving On

Discussion of healing and energy work. (We have a new forum for Prayer Requests. It's down in the Member's Nook.)
Fallen Moon

Sharing An Exercise for Moving On

Post by Fallen Moon »

This feels like it could go either here or in the Spells and Rituals section, but since it involves self-healing I'll just put it here. I mentioned to Serenity Willow that I would try and post it so here it is :)

I got this exercise from my horoscope on Yahoo a month or so ago and I have to admit it was incredibly helpful. It might seem a bit mundane at first but it is healing and will help you let go and overcome some things. It is geared towards relationships and helping you break bad relationship cycles but I'm sure it can be applied to other situations as well (ie friendships). The idea is that you make two lists: one is a list of things you loved and the other is a list of things you loathed. You can use one partner, or all of them, just as long as you make the lists and keep in mind what they're for. Don't limit yourself in what you write down. For instance, if you feel that two traits or actions are different enough to put them down separately, then do so, don't group them together just because you think someone else might view them as being the same thing. These lists are for you and you don't need to share them with anyone. When you're done (and this wasn't in the horoscope lol) you can either hang on to them to look at later, or you can get rid of them in whatever fashion seems appropriate (fire, burial, water, etc). If your ex or exes seemed to lean towards a particular element I would try to stay away from using that element for disposal unless it's one you're strong with. I had a few things from an ex of mine a while back who was nothing but fire and instead of burning the items to get rid of the connection like I wanted to I threw it all in the trash after ripping it up. I knew eventually it would find its way to a landfill and be buried. Earth smothers fire and pulls out the energy to neutralize it.

When I did this exercise for myself I didn't make a love list. I came up with just over 100 things I hated (yes, I actually counted) but I couldn't come up with one thing I loved from the 3 relationships I was drawing from. I also created another list where I included things that were ruined/almost ruined for me by past boyfriends and that list was quite long as well. But it did help me take back some things I had previously found joy or entertainment in. This list is especially good if you've been with a manipulator because one of the main tactics they use is making sure that you associate as much as possible with them, that way they're always in your head. This can be anything from music to clothes to movies to foods or places you want to visit and/or live. Admittedly 2 of my exes almost ruined my desire to visit Salem, Mass, and one almost completely ruined both Labyrinth and Legend. But hey, David Bowie can't be copied or beat, especially when he's got the crazy 80s hair going and is covered in glitter and "flattering" outfits :wink:

Add any other lists you feel you need to make; the point is to bring the issues to the surface and confront them. Bad memories may stir up, but it would be the same as if you were trying to deal with it in a different way. Face the darkness and then let it go, because if you cling and keep all this inside it has the potential to damage your future relationships, be they platonic or romantic.

I hope this does someone some good, and if anyone needs any advice or help just let me know :)
Serenity Willow

Re: Sharing An Exercise for Moving On

Post by Serenity Willow »

Thanks for sharing and I particularly like the part about disposing of the list in a different way.... That was great!!
Bright Blessings Just for Today <3
Fallen Moon

Post by Fallen Moon »

I'm glad you like it :D I feel like I made a third list of something, but I can't remember what and I'm feeling too lazy to pull it out and look lol
Serenity Willow

Well, when I had to make some lists, it was hurts bestowed up me, pain I caused others, and my fears related to both. Then another one was the hurts others caused me, but what was my part. This was a neat one! For instance, if you stayed in a bad relationship and was abused and scared to leave. Your part in that is that you didn't respect or love yourself enough to walk out the door. Or even if you were hurt as a child (completely out of your control) ...your part would be, if you carried this pain all these years and beat yourself up about it, told yourself you're no good and made bad choices as a result OR became an addict because you couldn't cope with the horror of your childhood. That would be your part. It was really quite interesting and eye opening from a different perspective.
Fallen Moon

Post by Fallen Moon »

Oh I like those lists! I might have to try that some time :D I have already figured out some things and my part in them as well as their part, but I'm sure there's more I haven't considered. I know that I feel much better and have been able to let go and move on more solidly because of making those lists. And it's given me an idea of things I need to watch out for and avoid.
Serenity Willow

True and part of what it did was make me aware of where I didn't protect myself, love myself and respect myself. Being a door mat, I didn't take any responsibility for the bad things that happened to me. So now, I trust my instincts right at the start and don't question them. You start dating someone and one little thing flirts thru your head, a bad thing....well, your intuition is trying to tell you something. I've also learnt that your soul doesn't need any proof to tell you the truth. My ego, needed proof that this man was bad, but my soul already knew. Today I listen to my heart and soul more than ever and try to make decisions based on that.
Fallen Moon

Post by Fallen Moon »

My intuition has been off for a long time, or maybe just silent, which has been a huge problem for me. It has gotten better though. I know that I am still a bit gullible, it just seems to be my nature, but it leaves me vulnerable when it comes to things I want. Now I know that manipulators, even those who restrain themselves, attract other manipulators who probably won't. I don't know what it is but people seem to think I have something and they want it, so they try to control me and make promises. In my naivete and wanting them to fulfill their promises I allow myself to trust them, even when a friend who's yet to steer me wrong tells me not to. Being aware of the problems will help me avoid them in the future, as long as I remember the lessons I've learned. I did notice one thing that was consistent with the last 3, aside from them being magick-users: at some point either a piece of jewelry I really liked and happened to be wearing would break, or I'd lose it. With the first, a strand of beads I'd made for a necklace/bracelet broke when I was getting ready to go see him, and it was something I really liked and used for meditation. With the other two, on our first dates I lost one of the earrings I was wearing, both were favourite pairs of mine. Never found the matches again, but I'm definitely keeping those little things in mind. I'll also remember that if one of my guides or guardians happens to be around at the time and I get the image of them snarling at the person, I need to run in the other direction. How silly and easily manipulated I was...
Serenity Willow

I had a locket given to me from someone I loved. The chain kept breaking and I kept fixing it, then he would fix it...in the end it broke in two places...neither of us took it in to get fixed this time. I put a new chain on it and moved on ;)
Fallen Moon

Post by Fallen Moon »

I actually commissioned a beautiful necklace with a moon pendant from someone on DevArt and it was my favoruite. One night I was over at an ex's place (the same one where my beads broke), and the pendant came right off, which left the pieces of the chain connected to it separated. I put the pendant and chain on his desk with the intention of fixing it later because it wasn't the first time it had needed fixing (well I think the first time I just reversed the way the moon was facing lol). When I went to leave all I found was the pendant, no chain. When I moved away from home and down to stay with one of my brothers in a different state after we'd broken up I decided to break the pendant and throw it away, because I had put a lot of personal energy into the necklace and it was still connected to me. I was already worried enough because of his obsessive tendencies, I didn't want to be worried he'd try to use it for anything, no matter how silly or small. I think after that I got rid of my claddaugh ring, which I'd come to associate with him, and then performed a pretty powerful protection spell that I'd created. It made me feel better until i had to move home again and he started to appear in my dreams again.

Return to “Healing and Energy Work”