Ostara Prayer in Latin

Many pagans and witches use prayer as a form of worship and for requesting help from deities. Share and discuss prayers here.
Allthepacas

Ostara Prayer in Latin

Post by Allthepacas »

I nunc honora autem dea purus, benignus, i honora autem magnum Cornigerum deus, proud et fortis, purgare me hoc venire fons.

I now honor the goddess, pure and kind, I honor the great horned God, proud and strong, cleanse me this coming spring.
frozenlight

Re: Ostara Prayer

Post by frozenlight »

I beg your pardon? :flyingwitch:

Love, light and peace.
FL
Does anyone know where I can score some chronic mugwort?
Allthepacas

Post by Allthepacas »

It's in Latin cause I love latin
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Could you provide a translation? :)
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Re: Ostara Prayer in Latin

Post by Naudia Threng »

I now honor the goddess, pure and kind, I honor the great horned God, proud and strong, cleanse me this coming spring.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hmm, the original prayer could use some Latin grammar cleanup ... granted, I took Latin over 10 years ago, but you don't need the "I"s, the verbs are still in infinitive form ...
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Hildegard

Post by Hildegard »

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, but as a Latin student I'm always eager for a chance to put all that studying to use :)

Working from the English version, the first portion of the prayer I would render in Latin as "pudicam benignamque deam deumque magnum cornutumque, nunc laudo." I omitted the description of the Horned God as "proud and strong" because there is no positive word for "proud" whose meaning is not already covered by "magnum", and in order to balance the epithets - two each for the God and Goddess. The description of the Goddess as "pudicam" gives the sense of "pure and chaste"; I wasn't sure what sort of "pure" you were going for, so I assumed it was a reference to maidenhood.

The second portion contained more idiomatic English phrasing, and, as I was uncertain of my ability to accurately translate it, I made some dramatic changes. My version reads "Expurgate me cum redeat ver.", translating as "cleanse me while spring returns" or "cleanse me when spring returns."

The full text of the prayer in Latin is then "Pudicam benignamque deam deumque magnum cornutumque, nunc laudo. Expurgate me cum redeat ver."

Please feel free to correct my Latin; though I have been studying for a few years, I am still only learning! Allthepacas, your Ostara prayer is beautiful; thank you for sharing, and I hope you do not mind me having a little fun with your grammar! I love Latin too, and it's always wonderful to see what is being written in a language that is, in many ways, still very much alive.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well ...since Ostara is on the return, bringing it back. ... this is a nice prayer.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Nova13

Post by Nova13 »

That's lovely!

Return to “Pagan Prayers”