Novels that teach you

Open discussion about how our beliefs have been affected by popular culture.
Tamsin

Novels that teach you

Post by Tamsin »

I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Partick Rothfuss, which is an amazing book.
Near the start of the story, the main character Kvothe is taught sympathy magic by a travelling aracanist, Abenathy.
After a while I realised that I was being taught by the book the same lessons that the character was learning, in a much more involved way that any internet source has yet to provide me.
I found the same thing happened while reading Magician by Raymond E. Feist. When Kulgan begins schooling Pug on 'lesser path' magic, I found I was learning a lot from his lessons.

Has anyone read a really good story book and found that it was actually teaching you? I'm talking about books that were not written to be learned from, but books such as the great adventure stories I mentioned.

Xiao Rong
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Re: Novels that teach you

Post by Xiao Rong »

Oh, definitely. I would count the Harry Potter series as one of those books which are very layered and change in meaning with each rereading ...
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Vervain

Re: Novels that teach you

Post by Vervain »

Xiao Rong wrote:Oh, definitely. I would count the Harry Potter series as one of those books which are very layered and change in meaning with each rereading ...
That.

Additionally, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, Demian by Herman Hesse, all of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Return to “Pop Culture Magic”