Types of Folk Magic

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
Middleagedseeker

Types of Folk Magic

Post by Middleagedseeker »

Greetings! I have been curious about hoodoo and been reading up on it lately. I'm wondering what other types of folk magic there are? I know about Pennsylvania Dutch Pow Wow and Granny Magic, but are there others?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Types of Folk Magic

Post by SpiritTalker »

Most semi isolated regions develop some form of folk magic unique to their area, that grow from roots in shamanism. I recently read a piece on Icelandic magic. Local folk history societies web sites are sources of info. Cornish is wildly popular amongst pagan writers. Also densely populated areas have brujaria urban sub cultures & botanica shops are becoming more visible.

Italian Folk Magic: Rue's Kitchen Witchery by Mary-Grace Fahrun is Catholic folk magic.
Powers of the Psalms by Anna Riva is for folk candle magic
Ozark Folk Magic: Plants, Prayers & Healing by Brandon Weston
See the posts Christian Candle Magic [/b] and Candle Magic with Psalms.
The Magical Use of Candles in the Christian Home By Agostino Taumaturgo

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Types of Folk Magic

Post by Firebird »

My family on bio dads side was pa Dutch but I don't know that much about it. If you can get a trip to Pennsylvania I imagine you would e able to find all kinds of traditional root workers and pow wow healers. One of my favorite workings they do that is sort of in your face magic, is the hex symbols on barns. So beautiful!
There was a couple threads here this forum on the topic
viewtopic.php?f=166&t=26834&p=195160&hi ... ow#p195160
Here's one about Hex symbols
viewtopic.php?f=166&t=26842
I think working with and making your own Hex symbol would be a good way to connect to that sort of tradition.

Bb, IF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Folk Magick”