Cornish Witchcraft

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
Oakheart

Cornish Witchcraft

Post by Oakheart »

I have a 3* Wiccan chap who is also pushing a particular brand of witchcraft known as Cornish witchcraft. Seems a bit darker than anything I've seen before. Makes no qualms about Devil worship, although its Devil, known more accurately as the Bucca of Cornwall, is akin to Baphomet rather than the Judeo-Christian Satan. Ram skulls emblazoned, in many cases, with sigils. Wands for nailing people with curses. Just seems a bit dark. A bit. Anyone have any experience with this form of witchcraft? Any useful insights?
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Cornish Witchcraft

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've read about it but have no personal experience. I get it that Traditional Witchcraft, pre-Garnerian, is Shamanic with a Neolithic history that has survived into the present, even tho some obvious reconstruction is necessary. Blackthorn blasting rods are popular, but not mandatory. The practitioners see nothing out of place with a well aimed curse when it's needed. The definition of need usually reflects extreme cases of protection and retribution. In some cases a family or clan will close ranks against outsiders to protect their ways. I don't know much more than that, as I have not followed up the specifically Cornish or the Luciferian paths. As far as I know they are not out to scuttle anyone else's boat.

The Shamanic practices might include use of bones, your own blood, & animal parts for connections to the life force as identity and means of power; enabling shape shifting to identify with one's animal totem to be their guide to the Other world; or creating fetish homes where a spirit can live. There is emphasis on the underworld connections and reverence for the shaman's ritual death and rebirth that gives him/her the power to link with their ancestors and heal or prophecy.

I am presently researching Shamanic witchcraft as a means to understand the roots of the cosmic
world tree, the roots of the three world construct...3, 9, 12... Give or take. But this is not just Cornish. I don't know yet what makes that a unique path from any other pre-Garnerian Tradition Craft.

The toad plays a symbolic and real role that aids journeying to the other world. That is the only thing I have dug up. I will not be licking any toad sweat soon, I guarantee.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Thanks for your insights, SpiritTalker. It would be quite intriguing to have a Cornish witch actually post here and talk about some general aspects of their craft. I know in England the cunningfolk there are very wise about working with land formations, like ley lines, energetic vortices, significant waterways, and such. And ancient monuments connected to the land's energies abound there, and are in some instances still in use.

I found this, and saw a lot of other interesting resources on Cornish witchraft: http://www.cornishwitchcraft.co.uk/PDFs ... eaming.pdf

Thanks.

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Kasandra, that was an interesting article. The dragon or serpent power and ley lines of the earth I know are migration routes in some cases, and some people can feel or see the lines. I wonder if people with the gift of never getting lost have that innate earth connection? My sister is one. When we used to take road trips, if I'd gotten twisted 'round construction detours & didn't know which way to go, i could wake her from a sound sleep and still blurry-eyed, she would practically sniff the air and know how to get to the connecting road.

The History of traditional craft is now part of the one mind and there aren't any inaccessible secrets, imo

Edit: let me clarify that when I say there are no real secrets, I'm speaking of the style of magical practice using reconstructed Neolithic magical links. Obviously I have no input from fam-trad secrets, and their family-specific methods.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I wish Kevin would stop by and speak up on this subject. He's familiar with ley lines, and I think he's mentioned a great serpent. I know he's a dowser.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

If you can lay your hands on a copy, Gemma Gary's " Traditional Witchcraft A Cornish Book of Ways" is a fairly good read. It took several tries before I cornered a copy at Amazon at a non-inflated, wickedly gouging price. :roll:

The author gives sufficient explanations and assumes the reader has some background. She provides a bit of local history, incense, powder and oil formulas, and covers some basic spells. Circle, or compass work is explained satisfactorily since there are differences from Wiccan methods. Full and new moon rites are covered for the solitary hearth. Power places for waning and dark moon work are noted. The reader is expected to use their intuitive skills to center and connect to power. That's fair enough.

Tools covered are the knife, staff, bull-roarer, cauldron, bone, scrying bowl, & stone. There are several pages of photos. The offering of bread and mead is recommended at full moon. Major holidays are for gatherings. 6 holiday rites are given, the usual one's less equinoxes. There's a small glossary of Cornish terms and a good size reference listing.

Return to “Folk Magick”