Questions about honey jar spell

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
Binglian

Questions about honey jar spell

Post by Binglian »

Hi, I'm thinking about doing a honey jar spell. I need to write my names on the piece of paper. Does it matter what kind of name do I use. Would a nickname work just as well as your formal name? I know some people have a wiccan name, so anyone use their wiccan name for spells?

Also, I only have a small jar, so I'm planning to use a small candle on top of my jar. When the candle burns out, is it okay for me to just use a new candle on top? Should I just throw out the old candle?

Thank you
Winter Wind

Re: Questions about honey jar spell

Post by Winter Wind »

Well, I think that using the name you use more often works better:
For example:
If you're used to call someone Betty, it would feel awkward to call her Elizabeth, wouldn't it?
However, if your intuition tells you to write the formal name, do it. Sometimes we just need that formality. It's really up to you, I think that the symbolism needs to be natural.
For the candles, I think that it depends on the intent of your spell.

Hope it was a little bit helpful for you! :)
“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
Beethoven
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi Binglian. My two cents on the name thing is I use my given birth name, never thought to use my spirit name. I might try that next time. It's just with the mundane name, I feel like it brings my whole life into whatever I'm doing. That is, as I'm writing it I think of how since a little girl I've written this same name, thousands of times, and therefore there is all this life-affirming energy and unique, personal imprint built into it. It's like a sigil of my spirit, in a sense. But, now that I think about it, perhaps with my spirit name, there is this same 'build up"...but many times over due to previous lifetimes. Hmm. I think your question presents me great food for thought.

Try either, but I would recommend staying with one per working, that is, if you're going to use your magical name, only use that; if you're going to use your birth name, only use that, throughout the working. It's more powerful, I think, the less confusing your methods are, the more clear and direct they are.

As far as the candle question, from my path's perspective there are many options on what to do with the candle during and after the spell. Which option is chosen by the practitioner is directly informed by what exactly the aims of the particular spell are. If I may ask, what are you hoping to achieve with this honey jar spell? That would help me narrow down advice on what to do with the candle during and after the spell. But if you'd rather not say, I understand.

And from my path's perspective you never "throw out" anything. Again, there are specific options for disposal related to the goals of the spell, which inform what a proper disposition of the spell ingredients might be after the working is complete.

Thanks.

Shutter

Post by Shutter »

I cast one today and used the names we go by casually rather than full birth names. Not sure if that'll affect it, this is my first shot at this spell, but it felt right now I did it so I went with it.
Siona

Post by Siona »

When I do a honey jar spell, I either just use my first and last name (and my first name is actually a nickname, but that's how I think of it), or if the person knows me by a special name, or in another way, I might use that instead. Really just depends on how I'm feeling about it when I do it. Going with your gut is often a good way to go with these types of workings.

Return to “Folk Magick”