Folk Magic Traditions

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Folk Magic Traditions

Post by loona wynd »

What are the folk magic traditions that you study and or practice? I know that there are many different folk magic traditions out there. I wanted to see what traditions people here are practicing. I figure by sharing the different traditions we practice we can see what traditions are out there.

I am currently exploring Hoodoo and Rootwork. I am primarily working with incenses and powders at this point. Though I am looking at starting to broaden my practices and my experiences in this area. I wanted to start to look at Hoodoo because of its connection to Christianity and Christian spirituality. I also thought that it would be a good way to start working with my Catholic ancestors and to touch on my Catholic heritage. I am proud of my French Catholic heritage and I want to show it. This is my way of doing that.

I am also starting to look at the practices of the Pennsylvania Dutch. The PowWow tradition seems to have some rather unique practices that are appealing to me. One of the strongest areas of interest to me in that regards is the use of and working of Hexsigns. I have a few spells I am formulating in my mind and I think I may involve working with a hex sign for one of them.

Eventually I am going to study the folkmagic traditions of the Germanic tribes and cultures as that goes with the Germanic pagan base that I have. For now I think I will stick with and work with these two areas. I feel that there is enough in both of those areas for me to learn and experience that working here will be enough for now.
Fjäll1291

Re: Folk Magic Traditions

Post by Fjäll1291 »

I practice Scandinavian folk magic from 1700-1800. If you've heard about Trolldom, that's what I do!
I could go into more detail later, I'm in school right now haha.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

I'd to love hear more about Trolldom.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Fjäll1291

Post by Fjäll1291 »

Seraphin Murmur wrote:I'd to love hear more about Trolldom.
"Trolldom" in Swedish means magic. You would recognize the word "troll", which is a creature that has magical powers.

There is a book in english called Trolldom and is written by Johannes Gårdbäck. He covers a lot of what there is to it, including divination and spells.

An example of a Swedish folk magic spell:

Cure for red eyes

Blow through the hole of a nettle stalk on the red eye.
Blow three times, one for each element.
Say:

I blow in east, I blow in west,
I blow in south, I blow in north,
I blow in air, I blow in water,
I blow in earth, I blow in light,
I blow for the night,
I blow forever all disease away.

There is so much to write about it!
manshin

Post by manshin »

I study and practice korean folk magic/sorcery 마술. It basically consists of sympathetic magic, energy work, traditional medicine.

For example (piggybacking on illness of the eye):

to cure your eye illness, I could draw your eye in the dirt and stab it several or nine times, expelling the evil spirit causing you the problems.

That said, I live in a suburban area, so I would probably use paper, not dirt lol.
Korean Sorceress/Shaman 만신; witch; Kemetic Orthodoxy
*I do not follow any (Neo)Wiccan beliefs.

Return to “Folk Magick”