Dealing with "The Evil Eye"

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
Lunar Rose

Re: Dealing with "The Evil Eye"

Post by Lunar Rose »

I was reading about the evil eye yesterday (as a result of this thread!) and I found a book that explained about using your eyes to conduct magic. It basically considered things from the alternative point of view. It said that if you can charge your eyes to project negative energy towards someone (even unintentionally) then it must also be so that you can charge a look to project positive energy towards someone. I liked the idea of turning a negative idea, into a positive one! I intend to practice projecting my non-evil eye this evening! :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Kassandra wrote:.

Covering all her bases, fashionably so...
Evil eye nails and baubles.jpg
Source: lifestylemirror.com/beauty/nails/ten-best-evil-eye-nail-art-designs/

I actually really like that.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Hindu Remedies for the Evil Eye

Post by loona wynd »

ness wrote:
Read about other Hindu remedies for the evil eye, such as the Salt, Mustard Seeds and Red Chilli puja (ritual) here:
How to Minimize a Drishti Dosha
I do Drishti dosha on my daughter quite often. Coming from India, we do Drishti dosha pretty much everyday for babies. We also apply a tiny black dot on baby's face, mainly to take away from the imbeccable beauty of a baby. We mainly believe that evil eye can be cast due to jealousy and it can be cast unintentional. You would see gory face masks hung outside homes as a remedy of evil eye. Basically you dont want someone to think "oh, look at that beautiful house!" or "look at that beautiful baby" out of jealousy.
Jealousy is a very powerful emotion. I can see how the evil eye curse would be cast out of jealousy. So the black dot is supossed to make the baby less adorable and beautiful preventing the eye from sticking? Is that how that works there?
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Lunar Rose wrote:I was reading about the evil eye yesterday (as a result of this thread!) and I found a book that explained about using your eyes to conduct magic. It basically considered things from the alternative point of view. It said that if you can charge your eyes to project negative energy towards someone (even unintentionally) then it must also be so that you can charge a look to project positive energy towards someone. I liked the idea of turning a negative idea, into a positive one! I intend to practice projecting my non-evil eye this evening! :)
Actually in the book A witches world of magic at the end of the chapter on no tools body magic (where the information on the evil eye I read sparked this discussion) mentions that you should try a "peace eye" or a "love eye". Perhaps by working those eyes you can counteract the evil eye. With magic if you can cause a curse with it you can probably bless some one with it as well.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Hindu Remedies for the Evil Eye

Post by loona wynd »

For protection of the evil eye, this is a very powerful yantra (mystical diagram) as per ancient Vedic texts. When this yantra is placed on ones' puja (ritual) place at home and incense is lit in front of it daily, the worshipper and his family, especially small children, are protected against all sorts of evil eye and bad vibes coming from those people who are not their well-wishers.
I wonder if you could make a version of something like that using other symbols and practices that relate to your own culture. Magic squares like that are common in different traditions.

Kassandra wrote:.Read about other Hindu remedies for the evil eye, such as the Salt, Mustard Seeds and Red Chilli puja (ritual) here:
How to Minimize a Drishti Dosha
Wow. That is one indepth article. I love that it even shows the hand positions and the like for the prayer and ritual.

Return to “Folk Magick”