Dealing with "The Evil Eye"

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Dealing with "The Evil Eye"

Post by loona wynd »

hayal wrote:thats a good one!!
I figured this would be a good topic in folk magic to really get the ball rolling.
hayal wrote: im half turkish and half greek both cultures believe in evil eye!!
As I just said, it seems that a negative powered eye of some form exists in basically all cultures across the world. Its one of the few true universals out there.
hayal wrote:turks have many talismans as Alura Noel stated above.
The hand of fantima is one of my favorites.
hayal wrote:my favorite is `cevshen` its a triangle shaped necklace full of protection prayers in arabic.
Do you think you could find an image of it? Do you know what any of those prayers are?
hayal wrote: there are sooooo many methods to undo the hex,
I was hoping that aside from talismans we would get into some of the other possible actions to undo the curse of the evil eye.
hayal wrote: burning cloves, dropping olive oil in water and saying a prayer or saying a prayer and breath upon salt........
Do you know if there are specific prayers required for those actions?
hayal wrote: there is a specific prayer in quran for the evil eye Nazar Duasi....
Really? Would you be willing to share it?
hayal wrote:i believe in the evil eye...its the energy thats real...
Yes. Its all about the energy. I think the most interesting note in this whole threads discussion is that it can be cast and caused completely by accident and with out knowing it. This to me really shows how mindful of all our thoughts we really need to be when we work magic.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

loona wynd wrote:
hayal wrote:my favorite is `cevshen` its a triangle shaped necklace full of protection prayers in arabic.
Do you think you could find an image of it? Do you know what any of those prayers are?

There are tons of pics on the 'net: https://www.google.com/search?q=cevshen ... 75#imgdii=_

Google Chrome browser could translate text (if it's not a pic, but actual text).

YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

There is a way to prevent putting an Evil eye on someone. By "spitting on them". I mean, not really spit on somebody, obviously, but pretend to do so, so they don't catch Evil eye from you. This also says you don't want to hex them.
If you have watched "My big fat Greek wedding", there is a scene on the wedding where all the Greek relatives spit on the bride. It's almost a custom - you say a baby is cute and then you pretend to spit on it :) Sounds ridiculous, but everyone here does it. Even little children :D
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Elcida wrote:There is a way to prevent putting an Evil eye on someone. By "spitting on them". I mean, not really spit on somebody, obviously, but pretend to do so, so they don't catch Evil eye from you. This also says you don't want to hex them.
If you have watched "My big fat Greek wedding", there is a scene on the wedding where all the Greek relatives spit on the bride. It's almost a custom - you say a baby is cute and then you pretend to spit on it :) Sounds ridiculous, but everyone here does it. Even little children :D
Thats quite interesting. Its interesting considering that in some cultures spitting on some one even in a symbolic sense could be considered a curse. Spitting is a way of sending curses in some cultures. So I find it interesting that there is a form of spitting on some one so they dont get the evil eye.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Elcida wrote:There is a way to prevent putting an Evil eye on someone. By "spitting on them". I mean, not really spit on somebody, obviously, but pretend to do so, so they don't catch Evil eye from you. This also says you don't want to hex them.
Actually here in my place, there's a folk and popular belief to counteract this "evil eye phenomena". They believed that the one who unintentionally casted the evil eye should put a small amount of his/her saliva on the forehead or tummy of the victim. Hee... So here... we literally use spit. blue_flee
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Kassandra

Hindu Remedies for the Evil Eye

Post by Kassandra »

Nazar_Nivaran_Yantra.jpg
Nazar_Nivaran_Yantra.jpg (20.98 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
This is believed to be a very powerful yantra (mystical diagram) for protection against the evil eye, as per ancient Vedic texts. When this yantra is placed at ones' puja (ritual) place at home and incense is lit in front of it daily, the family (especially small children) are protected against evil eye and people who are not their well-wishers.

Read about other Hindu remedies for the evil eye, such as the Salt, Mustard Seeds and Red Chilli puja (ritual) here:
How to Minimize a Drishti Dosha

Evil eye puja.jpg
Evil eye puja.jpg (13.83 KiB) Viewed 3140 times

hayal

Re: Muslim Remedies for the Evil Eye

Post by hayal »

this is Nazar Duasi (prayer) there comes the name bor the blue bead- nazar boncugu...it says `in the name of Allah. Allah please eliminate and prevent the fervor, the iciness and the rottenness of this person eye`
this is Nazar Duasi (prayer) there comes the name bor the blue bead- nazar boncugu...it says `in the name of Allah. Allah please eliminate and prevent the fervor, the iciness and the rottenness of this person eye`
CEVSEN - Can also include the 99 names of Allah for protection.

To remove the hex - evil eye, they usually Pray Nazar Duasi, Naz, Felak,Ihlas, Ayet-el Kursi - it is believed to be the most powerfull protect prayer of all.

OIL & WATER Spell, you put some water in a deep bowl and a tbl spoon of olive oil. you sit in front of the person that will remove the evil eye. that person starts saying those prayers and rubs some oil to your forehead. then they drop the oil in the bowl if the oil stays in a big maze it means u dont have a hex if it dissolves in many little drops then its the number of persons that put the evil eye on you. then u take a sip and pour the rest to a crossroad.

CLOVES Spell, u need 9 cloves. one by one every clove u take u pin it up on a needle say the name of the person u think that put the hex on u and then u burn the clove with a lighter. if it bursts it means that the person put a hex on you. so you can pick up 9 people one for every clove. then u say the prayers and spit yourself and your house :) (its all about the power of your spit LOL - greeks and turks do spit a lot! haha)

basically,the words are the most powerful spells of all... every act and intention is magick :flyingwitch:

love & Light
hayal.
)m00nLit 0wL(
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Seraphin wrote: Actually here in my place, there is a folk and popular belief to counteract this "evil eye phenomena". They believed that the one who unintentionally casted the evil eye should put a small amount of his/her saliva on the forehead or tummy of the victim. Hee... So here... we literally use spit. blue_flee
Your culture isn't the only one that uses spit like that. The book A Witches world of magick has a curse breaking hex for the evil eye that uses spit from the Texas Rio Grande area. They in this area call the evil eye "el ojo". Part of the process of curing the hex was finding out if indeed "el ojo" was at work or not.
A witches world of magick wrote:In Texas along the Rio Grande, one counter charm used against el ojo-the evil eye-employed the curser's saliva as a key ingredient. In her 1923 essay highlighting the Mexican influence on local folk beliefs, Florance Johnson Scott described a common remedio-or curre for the curse of el ojo. The procedure began by cracking an egg over the head of the victim. In the evil eye curse was indeed at work, a small eye would become visible in the egg yolk. Whenever this happened, a search for the person responsible for casting el ojo would begin. It was believed that the curser would be sure to have a terrible headache, and in this way the guilty party would soon be discovered. The offender was then brought before the sick person, where he or she was expected to administer the cure:

The offender found, he must go to the sick person, take a mouthful of water, and from his own mouth transfer it into the mouth of his victim. This remedio is supposed to effect instantaneous cure, but if it does not, there are other prescribed treatments. In each and all of them however, the offender takes the place of the nurse.
Sources: A witches world of magick by Melanie Marquis and "Customs and superstitions among Texas Mexicans along the Rio Grande border" by Florance Johnson Scott

The author goes on to explain why the saliva and the presence of the sender of the curse may play a role in curse breaking. The mixing of the curser's saliva with their own makes the energy of the cursers their own as well diluting the power of the original spell. Since the water in the example given is taken into the victim the powers in that water become the powers of the victim, hence the power of the curse caster is their own.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

ness

Re: Hindu Remedies for the Evil Eye

Post by ness »

Kassandra wrote:.
Read about other Hindu remedies for the evil eye, such as the Salt, Mustard Seeds and Red Chilli puja (ritual) here:
I do Drishti dosha on my daughter quite often. Coming from India, we do Drishti dosha pretty much everyday for babies. We also apply a tiny black dot on baby's face, mainly to take away from the imbeccable beauty of a baby. We mainly believe that evil eye can be cast due to jealousy and it can be cast unintentional. You would see gory face masks hung outside homes as a remedy of evil eye. Basically you dont want someone to think "oh, look at that beautiful house!" or "look at that beautiful baby" out of jealousy.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p197092

Thanks for understanding. :wink:

Yeah I know that last post about the method of breaking the Evil eye was bordering on breaking that rule. I'm really trying here to present some traditions and concepts. Personally that method I presented even if it is a historical practice isn't something I would want to do. I'd be more apt to try one of the many other methods mentioned in this thread.

Kassandra wrote:.13. Discussion of certain topics is not allowed. Prohibited discussions include, but are not necessarily limited to, blood drinking, the use of bodily fluids in spells, sex magick, using magic for revenge, using animal parts in spells, invoking evil spirits to do your bidding... and other stuff related to dark arts. While we understand that you may wish to learn about these subjects, even if you don't intend to be involved with them, we don't want to attract certain types of people to our forum by showing up in Internet searches for those keywords. It's our experience that people who are into that sort of stuff usually behave badly and end up banned from the board.
This rule is one of the reasons I haven't started a thread I was thinking about starting regarding the ethics and physical practices of folk magic vs more modern traditions of magic today as well as why I haven't started the discussion on curse breaking that I was thinking about. Some of the sample spells I was going to include for historical reference contain some of those items.

I'm sure I bordered on breaking that rule when I mentioned a counter to the Evil eye in the evil eye thread that uses spit. Yet at the same time I felt that I was providing a bit of historical and cultural context to the discussion that was important. So for me some aspects of folk magic are things that border on if they are appropriate for here.

When you think about it, the ethics of when some of these traditions were started were much different than they are in today's society. For example there was a time when it was considered perfectly acceptable within society to sacrifice an animal for a spell or ritual, while today that idea and concept is considered horrid. That is just one example out of many that I have found.

I was thinking that a thread to address how to adapt some of those practices to today's world and still keep them being folk magic would be beneficial, but again the content and context would be bordering that line. Again I want to start a thread about that, but I'm not sure how I could without breaking some aspects of that rule.

I may end up writing up the outline of the OP for the threads I mentioned I want to start and PMing them to Star to ask if the way they are presented would be appropriate, and if not how I could rework those to make them work within her guidelines. It can be difficult to discuss folk magic considering that some of the practices may not be considered "normal" in today's magical world.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

@ness
Wow, that's amazing. Thanks for the feedback on that. Interesting.

@loona wynd
No prob. Personally, I think that folk magic is such a huge, encompassing topic that includes so many techniques and traditions from around the world, we'll always have plenty to talk about...while at the same time easily be able to honor Starwitch's board rules.

And like I pointed out, any of us could always open our own message boards or blogs, and even list them in the Websites forum for people to go read and comment on.

Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

ness wrote:
I do Drishti dosha on my daughter quite often. Coming from India, we do Drishti dosha pretty much everyday for babies. We also apply a tiny black dot on baby's face, mainly to take away from the imbeccable beauty of a baby. We mainly believe that evil eye can be cast due to jealousy and it can be cast unintentional. You would see gory face masks hung outside homes as a remedy of evil eye. Basically you dont want someone to think "oh, look at that beautiful house!" or "look at that beautiful baby" out of jealousy.
Do they use lemons and limes in India against the evil eye too?
ness

Post by ness »

No problem :) I mainly use sea salt for drishti. But its common to use sea salt and dried red chilles.
You would often see faces like this hung outside a home
ness

Post by ness »

Holdasown wrote:
ness wrote:
Do they use lemons and limes in India against the evil eye too?
yes, that too. I forgot about that. We use lemons outside homes or tied to new cars/bikes and such :D
Lemon is also very important in our prayers. In some parts, they use lemon lamps. Lemon is also widely used in tantric activities.

Return to “Folk Magick”