Hex Signs

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Hex Signs

Post by loona wynd »

The first thing most people think of when the see the word Hex in any connotation is the negative spell cast against a person for harm of some sort. A few years I had come across the concept of the practice of Hex signs. Now I didn't think about negative magic at the time, I wasn't sure what to think of actually.

Then recently as I started to explore Northern American folk traditions specifically I came across the concept again. I've found that it is related to the Pennsylvania Dutch Pow Wow tradition. The idea of the term hex for the practices and design of those circles is said to be rooted in a germanic phrase.
Folk Magic: The Hex sign wrote:Unlike barn stars, which were painted directly on the sides of structures, the wooden hex signs, a term likely derived from the Pennsylvania German word “hexafoo” or “witch’s foot,” could be ported around and hung not just on barns, but anywhere. Ott marketed hex signs as objects of folk magic, ascribing specific meaning and power to the symbolism on the signs.
Source

One website says:
dutchhexsign.com wrote:
My research and personal experience tells me that, whatever the history of the hex sign, the practice has been thoroughly melded with the Christian religion. All of the pre-1990 publications I have read confirm that my grandmother's practice of empowering the design "in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Amen" was shared by other practitioners.

I was taught that each design was a "painted prayer," the purpose of which was to manifest on Earth (in the physical realm) that which was asked of the Spiritual realm.
source

Here are some Hex Signs and their symbols:
Hex signs 2.jpg
Source
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Re: Hex Signs

Post by Seraphin »

Hiya loona!

Last year (or it was last, last year?), I've read Chinese horoscopes saying that the first few months for my sign were going be difficult and complicated. I couldn't afford to buy and practice the recommended feng shui because it was too expensive for an average man like me, so I had to go to some American folk magick and counter the hex with a hex.

Hex signs aren't only magickal but they also add color to a place, which my boring, almost "museum-like", dusty, gloomy room greatly needs that time.

Anyhow, this is the hex sign I created. I know the bird looks like a dove, but it's actually an eagle :mrgreen: . My Chinese Feng Shui Master friend told me that I had to face the ferocity of that year with strength of an eagle.

Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I've seen other hex signs out there with a similar image. Has it been effective and helpful to you?
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

This is where I got the inspiration loona. :D

Pennsylvania Dutch Hex Signs

I patterned my hex sign to the traditional double eagle. I preferred to use it because it is a fairly easy-to-copy design and also according to the website:
Double Headed Eagle

The double eagle in this sign stands for strength and courage. The heart is laced for love in marriage and the three tulips, known as the Trinity Tulips symbolize faith, hope and charity.

Source: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ia/hex.htm
Just what I needed for the coming year.

It is very helpful. Yes, indeed!
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Thats good. I need to learn more about these practices. I do like the bright colors most of them seems to have.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Ha, I knew I saw these designs on quilts before: https://www.google.com/search?q=hex+sig ... 99#imgdii=_
Until I studied hex signs, I didn't realize these symbols had deeper meanings, just thought they were random, pretty decorations. Nice. I think I would like to make the "distelfink," the good luck birdie. He kinda' jumps out at me.

Here's a Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/sweetkitties/ ... hex-signs/ The way they're used on buildings, on fabric, etc., reminds me of the various ways Adinkra symbols are used in African culture.

I just love this kind of stuff, comparing different cultures. Delights the little "armchair cultural anthropologist" in me, hehe.

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I was thinking of using one as a sigil to help empower a continued working I have going at the moment. Or I may trace/draw one and use that as part of the working as well by having that be behind the working.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I just found that I have had a small reference to making your own hex signs and the use of hex signs for some time now. The book Northern Magic: Rune Mysteries and Shamanism by Edred Thorsson has a chapter in it called Opreant Hexology. It covers this practice, how to make them for yourself and traditional hex signs that you may see,
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

This altar cloth on the altar of our own HoldasOwn's altar is a great example of a series of hexsigns.

Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I have a book that has a reference much like that one in it. I think I might type it up and put it in this thread so people can explore Hex signs.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

This is very cool. Thanks for sharing this info with us Holdasown and loona wynd.

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Kassandra wrote:.
This is very cool. Thanks for sharing this info with us Holdasown and loona wynd.
Thats one of the things that appeals to me about this practice of Folk Magic. Its more artistic than anything else. I did have some one confirm that Hex signs can be worked with in the same way that you would work with a sigil. Which is awesome.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Kassandra wrote:.
Ha, I knew I saw these designs on quilts before: https://www.google.com/search?q=hex+sig ... 99#imgdii=_
Until I studied hex signs, I didn't realize these symbols had deeper meanings, just thought they were random, pretty decorations. Nice. I think I would like to make the "distelfink," the good luck birdie. He kinda' jumps out at me.
There has been a lok written about the hex signs in books on American Folk Art. These hex signs are not only magical workings and practices but also a beautiful form of artwork as well. If I were to build a barn or something I would probably include hex signs in that work.
Kassandra wrote:Here's a Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/sweetkitties/ ... hex-signs/ The way they're used on buildings, on fabric, etc., reminds me of the various ways Adinkra symbols are used in African culture.
Its also been equated to the use of horse shoes over a barn or home to welcome luck and protection.
Kassandra wrote:I just love this kind of stuff, comparing different cultures. Delights the little "armchair cultural anthropologist" in me, hehe.
Anthropology is fascinating. Magical anthropology is a field all on its own. Its actually one that I was looking at getting into for college at one point in time. I may still do my own magical anthropology studies and write up what I find.

Its interesting the different sorts of magical practices that exist world wide, yet are never exactly the same any where else. Folk magic is very diverse. This is something I like. I mean here you can equate the Hex signs with the Galdar staves in Norse Magic as well as with sigil work found in more ceremonial magic, Yet they are neither and are their own thing.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id6vW7v4q30

Return to “Folk Magick”