Container Spells AKA Jar Spells

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Container Spells AKA Jar Spells

Post by loona wynd »

One thing I have come across in my studies of Hoodoo practices and working is the idea of using containers for spells. Some of the main one are a money jar and sweetening spells. Though there are also souring spells and other works that can be done in jars. Another famous container spell would be the famous witches jar for protection. Container spells seem to be very potent and powerful ways of working spells and rituals. I figured it would be nice to have a discussion on the topic.

I've never made a container or jar spell. I have three in mind that I want to work on though. All of these ideas came into my mind when I read about container or jar spells. The only thing I'm not sure of is I don't really know if I understand the theories and practices behind jar spells.

One jar spell would be a sweetening spell for my fiance's bosses and supervisors. He needs them to be more open to his input and to actually listen to his advice when it comes to planning installs and projects in his job. I thought a sweetening spell would possible help the situation.

The other jar spell was going to be a money draw spell and money drawing jar. I'm personally having money troubles right now and I figured that this might be a good spell tp help me have something to work with. I also thought that it would be a great way to try a new type of magic and spell craft.

Finally the last jar spell that came to my mind is a witches protection jar spell. I wanted to make one of these for my new home when we moved in December but the ground was frozen and there really isn't a place I could have put it. Now we have access to the front porch again so I was thinking I could make it and put it under there. That may be the first jar spell that I do actually.

So who has done work with container spells?
Echo_of_shadows

Re: Container spells AKA Jar Spells

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I've got a clear Christmas ornament that I use for protection. It's filled with short stands (about an inch long) of yarn in different colors, some big chunks of iridescent glitter and it had some perfume in it, but I'm pretty sure that it's evaporated by now. Sometimes it hangs in a window, other times it hangs from the Christmas tree.
When I was in my former coven, we made similar balls that were a little less pretty. Each coven member filled a silver ornament with a single, long piece of twine and then added a couple drops of oil. The high priestess hung the ornaments up around what was at the time, our new covenstead.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:I've got a clear Christmas ornament that I use for protection. It's filled with short stands (about an inch long) of yarn in different colors, some big chunks of iridescent glitter and it had some perfume in it, but I'm pretty sure that it's evaporated by now. Sometimes it hangs in a window, other times it hangs from the Christmas tree.
When I was in my former coven, we made similar balls that were a little less pretty. Each coven member filled a silver ornament with a single, long piece of twine and then added a couple drops of oil. The high priestess hung the ornaments up around what was at the time, our new covenstead.
What made that particular ornament a protection charm?
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

loona wynd wrote:
Echo_of_shadows wrote:I've got a clear Christmas ornament that I use for protection. It's filled with short stands (about an inch long) of yarn in different colors, some big chunks of iridescent glitter and it had some perfume in it, but I'm pretty sure that it's evaporated by now. Sometimes it hangs in a window, other times it hangs from the Christmas tree.
What made that particular ornament a protection charm?
Sorry that I didn't have many details at first, I had to see if I still had a copy of the instructions I used. It's been a while since I've made them. halfsm The instructions are for making one like mine.
As you are cutting the yarn into 1 to 1 1/2 inch long pieces, concentrate on protecting you and your home. Think only pleasant thoughts. Fill the ball until it is roughly 1/2 full of threads. Pour a few drops of your favorite oil into the ball and replace the top. Seal it closed with hot glue or wax. Hang the ball in a window by the door that you use as a main entrance to your home. As you hang the ball, thank the Goddess (or your personal Deity) and ask that he/she protect your home from all negativity and harm.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

OK, hehe, while Echo is covering that, I'll cover this:
loona wynd wrote:One jar spell would be a sweetening spell for my fiance's bosses and supervisors. He needs them to be more open to his input and to actually listen to his advice when it comes to planning installs and projects in his job. I thought a sweetening spell would possible help the situation.

Change the Energetic Focus

In my opinion, the focus should be on the person wanting things to go successfully, not on the person(s) (perceived as being) the block to success.

Research hoodoo "Crown of Success" spell work. This "arms" a person to be successful in his endeavors. The spellwork itself, if I may use a term from American football, "runs interference" in every way for the person for whom the spell is cast (let's call him the target). In other words, everything will work in the target's favor.

So, in this case, it's probably not just the boss and supervisors that contribute to his not getting the contracts, or whatever. It could be that they themselves have outstanding, mitigating issues that they're contending with, that they're in the hotseat about, so to speak. Money is always "tight" from a business perspective, and those "in charge" have to meet certain budgetary benchmarks or they'll get in trouble with their superiors, who knows. Money issues always cause a kind of snarky energy for everyone involved. A sweetening spell probably would not help in this case, in my opinion, and stronger, more edgy magic would probably work better.

I think the hubster needs to embue his own efforts with more gung-ho. Crown of Success work is specifically designed for endeavors like this, i.e., employment success, etc. You could combine the Crown of Success spell work/ingredients with the "Influence" line of ingredients, as well. That will give it even more oomf.

Mojo Bag/Talisman

It wouldn't hurt to "arm" hubby with a Crown of Success mojo bag that he could carry in his belongings. Or, create and enchant an amulet/talisman of some sort that's embued and charged with "Influence"-type energy, anointed with Crown of Success type oils, etc. What you're after here is to change and empower his own personal energy, not focusing on the boss and supervisors. Get your chosen gods of empowerment in on this as you empower the amulet and/or mojo bag by doing this ritual at your altar, etc. Really feel it when you do it, "raise energy" as they say in witchcraft.

"Fixing" Work-related Items

Also, it wouldn't hurt to sprinkle some Crown of Success sachet powder on his paperwork proposals before he submits them. Chant some kind of spell wishing for acceptance and success as you do this. When you think you have embued it successfully, then just dust the powder off, and return it to him.

Candle Work

And while his proposals are under review, it wouldn't hurt to keep a Crown of Success candle burning with a word or short phrase carved into the candle, along with hubster's name. And back to the candle work, dress it with Influence oils.

And it probably wouldn't hurt if did "throw a trick" as they say in hoodoo: say he's meeting with the supervisors at some site. Before they get there, he could toss some Influence powder on the ground where they will be standing or walking.

Things like this.

Good luck! :wink2:

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Kassandra wrote:
loona wynd wrote:One jar spell would be a sweetening spell for my fiance's bosses and supervisors. He needs them to be more open to his input and to actually listen to his advice when it comes to planning installs and projects in his job. I thought a sweetening spell would possible help the situation.
In my opinion, the focus should be on the person wanting things to go successfully, not on the person (perceived as being) the block to success.
The problem is that things can't go successfully because they aren't listening to him. A job succsess spell will do shit here. It will make the deployments go smooth, but it doesn't stop the issue of the wrong equipment for the job.
Kassandra wrote:Research hoodoo "Crown of Success" spell work. This "arms" a person to be successful in his endeavors. The spellwork itself, if I may use a saying from American football, "runs interference" in every way for the person for whom the spell is cast (let's call him the target). In other words, everything will work in the target's favor.
Again this type of work that he does can not be successful with improper equipment. He can make things work in strange ways. He does it all the time, its just not the right products and tools he is using for the right job. The managers are selling and working with products that don't do what they are designed to do. He's spent a large portion of his career for other computer firms taking out this equipment and putting in something that works.

I will still take a look at the spell mentioned though. I don't think it applies as there are very specific obstacles in the way of his job being a succsess. The main one being that they are not giving him all the information and the proper tools for the job.
Kassandra wrote:So, in this case, it's probably not just the boss that contributes to his not getting the contracts, or whatever. It could be that the boss himself has outstanding, mitigating issues that he's contending with,that he's in the hotseat about, so to speak. Perhaps with his contractors are causing him to make the decisions that he makes. A sweetening spell would not help in this case. It's too weak.
Its not the contractors. They are being advised on what products to buy for the services by my fiance's supervisors who are choosing low cost and inexpensive tools over proper tools that do what actually needs to be done. Another recent example was not resetting cabling for new desks like was supposed to be done. So now they aren't going to have the technical support they need in that location for that decision to use the same cable instead of new cable suited to the new technology needs.
Kassandra wrote:He needs to embue his efforts with more gung-ho. Crown of Success work is specifically designed for endeavors like this, i.e., employment success, etc. It wouldn't hurt to "arm" hubby with a Crown of Success mojo bag, for instance, that he could carry in his belongings somewhere. It wouldn't hurt to put some Crown of Success sachet powder on his paperwork before he submits it. Things like this.
The reason the sweetening spell i thought was the way to go is the fact that he wouldn't have problems if they actually involved him in the project planning. He can't do the work they ask him to do with out getting the proper equipment and when he tells them this its not until they have catastrophic failures with computer networks that they realize he (my fiance') was right when he said XYZ wont work because of CDF.

What I read on sweetening spells included them opening up and listening to ideas for projects and concepts. He cant be gung ho about work he knows is shit and not going to give the customer what they want and need. It's like being told to perform a job with none of the proper tools.

The issue is he tells them what he needs to make the job work and they refuse to listen. He tells them the issues they will run into and where the problems are. They say hes wrong and imagining it. Then they are all surprised when every issue and problem my fiance' outlined comes to pass (when it could have been prevented) and they still just ask him to fix it knowing it will happen again.

So its sweetening for them to listen to him. If they actually listened to him on the devices to be used and the layouts they company would be making more money.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

OK.

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Kassandra wrote:.
OK.
I'm still going to look up the spell you mentioned. I just thought an explanation of why I thought a sweetening spell was going to work would help understand context a bit more. It may be that a combination is required. Something to keep my fiance' wanting to work and something to open them up to listening to him. Even if they don't always go his route, he just wants to be included in the planning of these projects, and he wants them to at least be willing to liste to his ideas.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Echo_of_shadows wrote: Sorry that I didn't have many details at first, I had to see if I still had a copy of the instructions I used. It's been a while since I've made them. halfsm
Thats ok. I was just curious. I mean while you don't need herbs, crystals, and oils associated with protection to make protection spells they are typically in most of the protection jar spells I have found. That's why I was curious.
Echo_of_shadows wrote: The instructions are for making one like mine.
As you are cutting the yarn into 1 to 1 1/2 inch long pieces, concentrate on protecting you and your home. Think only pleasant thoughts. Fill the ball until it is roughly 1/2 full of threads. Pour a few drops of your favorite oil into the ball and replace the top. Seal it closed with hot glue or wax. Hang the ball in a window by the door that you use as a main entrance to your home. As you hang the ball, thank the Goddess (or your personal Deity) and ask that he/she protect your home from all negativity and harm.
That spell there is an example of using only intent on the items in the ball. Now I'd personally probably use a protection oil as the oil in the jar but that is a personal choice. Thank you for sharing how this ornament got empowered with protection. Its not like most I have seen but I can see how it might work with sheer true intent for protection and only pleasant energy into your home.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

So I did the sweetening jar spell today. We'll see how it works. One thing I've read is that these jar spells should be activated and worked every day in some form. So I am going to be shaking it some days and other days I'll be anointing it with things. I'm going to be asking for different spirits each day for help as well. This is a spell that has been grating at me to do for a while so I just said frig it and went ahead and did it today. Things are only getting worse and it seemed like it was now or never to do the spell.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Kassandra wrote:.

OK.
Plus my intuition was saying a sweetening spell is what was needed at the time. I've been working the spell for 20 days now. There has been a change in the situation that is to the benefit of my fiance' and of myself. Now its not exactly what we wanted, but without this part here being done, what I really had hoped probably couldn't happen. So since progress has been made I'm not sure if the spell has been completed or not.
Epithymia

Re: Container Spells AKA Jar Spells

Post by Epithymia »

I find honey jar spells to be very helpful.

Take a mason jar ( or really any glass jar with a lid)
write down what you wish for and fold it 5 times
now depending on what you are wishing for is what goes in the jar
Money - pennies
love- cinnamon sticks
prosperity - a little of both plus herbs of your choosing for the added bonus ( I like to use clove, allspice, nutmeg whole if you can get it, and devils shoestring just to give it a little extra power) crush them up except for the whole nutmeg.
Now I do this asking for help from Oshun but you don't have to.If you do ask from help from Oshun you will need to first call Papa Legba to open the gates so you can talk to her.If interested just message me and I will give you the chant for Papa Legba and also Oshun. Also, before you ever offer Oshun honey in any way you must taste a bit on your finger first ALWAYS or she will not help you. If doing it this way also place 5 sticks of cinnamon and 5 pennies... 5 is her number and do it on a Friday.
If not doing it that way write a chant asking for what you desire
Place your written wishes and whatever you have picked into the jar .Place the jar on a plate, one that can handle wax and will be AT LEAST 2 inches bigger then the jar.
I suggest using local honey ( farmers markets are wonderful for this ) but if not a good quality one will do
While saying your chant ( make it like a song with rhythm, hoodoo is a very soulful practice) start adding the honey as you do so.
Once you have put a good amount of honey ( almost full) into the jar place the lid on still chanting.
Now I like to use smaller pillar candles about 4" or so burn the end and place it secure on the lid in the middle.
Light the candle and watch it burn saying your chant, desires or honestly whatever you feel.
let the candle burn all the way around. I do this over and over adding a new candle every night till my desire has been finished. Now the jar can become covered so much with wax you can not see it but that is perfectly fine . I hope this helps.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I was originally going to use honey in my jar spell, but we didn't have any honey. So I used maple syrup. One of the books I had read and reviewed recently mentioned that sometimes if you need quicker results that a syrup would be better than honey as honey moves slowly and works slowly while syrups can work fast. So that was my choice. Plus one thing I have learned about folk magic is you use what you have on hand to make things work.
Epithymia

Post by Epithymia »

Thank you for telling me that, I had not heard of using syrup but it makes sense. I will most definitely have to try that.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Epithymia wrote:Thank you for telling me that, I had not heard of using syrup but it makes sense. I will most definitely have to try that.
The book I mentioned is The conjure workbook Vol 1: Working the Root. Its a very good book I found on Hoodoo/Rootwork. Thats where I got the idea to use syrup instead of honey. Though most of the sweetening spells I have found use honey so I think honey is a tradition source in those spells.

Return to “Folk Magick”