Magical Waters & Washes

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Magical Waters & Washes

Post by loona wynd »

So today is the first day of spring. Happy Ostara. Today as I looked outside I realized that it was raining. One of the texts I have read on Hoodoo and conjure work mentions working with the first spring rain to bring joy love and health into your house for the rest of the year. So I am collecting the rain right now.

This made me think about the other types of waters I have read about in Hoodoo like Florida Water, War Water, and other waters. It made me wonder about other ways you can use waters in magic. I looked at a few of the wash recipes and many of them included blessed waters of some sort.

Has any one here done any work with a blessed water or magically charges waters? How so? What are your favorite waters to work with?
Holdasown

Re: Magical Waters & Washes

Post by Holdasown »

I made what I call Thor's Water which is war water. I collected it during a thunderstorm and added the iron nails. I used it in the protection chalk I made. I like to charge moon water for teas, especially for mugwort tea since I use it for revelation. I charge water at Midsummer in the sun for healing or energy teas. I have jar of melted snow from the January Black Moon but I am not sure what I will use it for if at all. I do a cleansing bath too of water, apple cider vinegar and salt before ritual work.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Holdasown wrote:I made what I call Thor's Water which is war water. I collected it during a thunderstorm and added the iron nails. I used it in the protection chalk I made.
That sounds like it would be a powerful mixture. Do you ask Thor to bless it as well or do you think it has enough of his energy being collected during the thunderstorm like it is?
Holdasown wrote:I like to charge moon water for teas, especially for mugwort tea since I use it for revelation.
How much do you usually charge at a time and how long does it typically last you? I like the idea of Moon water. That was actually another one of the waters I read about in the first Hoodoo book I read. For me I think I would use Moon water in a few things. I'd use a little in baths for full moon rituals. I'd probably make some Holy water out of it, and I think I would try to get some psychic reflection water. I may have to charge some moon water this next full moon.
Holdasown wrote: I charge water at Midsummer in the sun for healing or energy teas.
So you make sun teas?
Holdasown wrote:I have jar of melted snow from the January Black Moon but I am not sure what I will use it for if at all.
Thawing out a problem that seems to be frozen or wont go any where? Something related to ice and cold I would think. But thats just my thoughts.
Holdasown wrote: I do a cleansing bath too of water, apple cider vinegar and salt before ritual work.
I made an interesting wash one time that was designed to increase or help me open my neirka or the doorway to the psychic realms. It was very effective. I'll see if I can find the recipe and share it here. I've actually found a lot of my work in the past was a mixture of healing and developing my psychic skills.

Here is a quote about water from one of the books I have been referencing. I want to share it here and as part of this discussion. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the quote:
Rootwork by Tayannah Lee McQuillar wrote:Water is a very powerful element because it is receptive. It is the ultimate retainer of energy and is often used to cleanse a person or a space, or to consecrate an object. To attain the various types of waters requires patience and preparation
I personally believe that water is a very receptive element. I also believe that it is the ultimate retainer of energy. There was an experiment done in the movie "What the Bleep do we know" where water crystals were changed in shape and energetic properties because of the words or phrases that were placed in the bottle. To me that is just an example of how powerful water is at retaining energy.
Holdasown

Re: Hoodoo topic: Magical waters & washes

Post by Holdasown »

loona wynd wrote:That sounds like it would be a powerful mixture. Do you ask Thor to bless it as well or do you think it has enough of his energy being collected during the thunderstorm like it is?
I just collected it I think thunderstorms are full of energy as is.
loona wynd wrote:How much do you usually charge at a time and how long does it typically last you? I like the idea of Moon water. That was actually another one of the waters I read about in the first Hoodoo book I read. For me I think I would use Moon water in a few things. I'd use a little in baths for full moon rituals. I'd probably make some Holy water out of it, and I think I would try to get some psychic reflection water. I may have to charge some moon water this next full moon.
I have pint jars and it last up to two months in the fridge I have used it in my cauldron and you could use it for scyring too.
loona wynd wrote:So you make sun teas?
Yes or I do the sun water like the moon water and use it for tea as needed.
loona wynd wrote:Thawing out a problem that seems to be frozen or wont go any where? Something related to ice and cold I would think. But thats just my thoughts.
That's a good idea. I could always freeze it again too. Hmm.
loona wynd wrote:I made an interesting wash one time that was designed to increase or help me open my neirka or the doorway to the psychic realms. It was very effective. I'll see if I can find the recipe and share it here. I've actually found a lot of my work in the past was a mixture of healing and developing my psychic skills.

I just started a regular bath regime. I will try new stuff so yeah if you want to share it I will try it.

loona wynd wrote:
Rootwork by Tayannah Lee McQuillar wrote:Water is a very powerful element because it is receptive. It is the ultimate retainer of energy and is often used to cleanse a person or a space, or to consecrate an object. To attain the various types of waters requires patience and preparation
I personally believe that water is a very receptive element. I also believe that it is the ultimate retainer of energy. There was an experiment done in the movie "What the Bleep do we know" where water crystals were changed in shape and energetic properties because of the words or phrases that were placed in the bottle. To me that is just an example of how powerful water is at retaining energy.
Since most water is moving I think it generates lots of energy. Like I think lake/well water is totally different from creek/ river water. It's also can be gas, liquid or solid I think that gives it extra umph. I read one that a women talked to water both negative and positive then put it on plants. The negative water plants died. The object was to show that since we are made up of 80% water negative words effect us in a way we might not realize. I like to work with it.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Holdasown wrote:I just collected it I think thunderstorms are full of energy as is.
Oh they are full of energy. Some traditional hoodoo recipes for war water I have found use thunderstorm water as a base ingredient for War water. So your use of it does make sense to me.
Holdasown wrote:I have pint jars and it last up to two months in the fridge I have used it in my cauldron and you could use it for scyring too.
Cool. I've never really had any succsess in scrying with water.
Holdasown wrote:Yes or I do the sun water like the moon water and use it for tea as needed.
I've personally found that both Moon energy and sun energy have psychic elements to them. Though they manifest differently it seems to me. Like I think Moon based psychic energy is more calm and relaxed while sun based psychic work is more passion and active.
Holdasown wrote:That's a good idea. I could always freeze it again too. Hmm.
It just seems that it would be logical to use it for a cooling off spell considering that snow is cold.
Holdasown wrote:I just started a regular bath regime.
I just restarted my daily spiritual cleansing ritual again. So I know how it is to have a routine. I'm building my daily spiritual routines little by little. I've found that for me its best to do a little at a time rather than try and do too much at once.
Holdasown wrote: I will try new stuff so yeah if you want to share it I will try it.
Sure I'll share it. I'm going to share it here as it is related to this thread and this topic.

Here is the mind clearing wash:

Materials:
Sodalite
Amethyst
Fossilized Coral
Dandelion plant (with the yellow flower)

Spell:
Charge all of the stones with the intent for mental processes and clarity
Place the stones in the bottom of the glass.
Add the dandilion
Fill the glass with water.
Set the water in a sunny spot where the sun can charge the water with the properties of the stones and the dandelion
Keep the glass there for 1-3 hours
Bottle the water in a spray bottle
spray on your body or face as needed.
Holdasown wrote:Since most water is moving I think it generates lots of energy. Like I think lake/well water is totally different from creek/ river water.
Oh it is. Even lake and pond water is moving all the time. It moves much slower than creeks and rivers but it does still move. The rivers that are the inlet and outlets of the ponds are where the water moves through.

I grew up on the second largest lake in my state. I am very familiar with the power and properties of lake water. I also spend a lot of time near the ocean and I currently live in a city that has a river running to the ocean. So I also know the different energetic feel of rivers, ponds, oceans, broke, and lakes. They are all similar yet different.
Holdasown wrote:It's also can be gas, liquid or solid I think that gives it extra umph.
I think that is one of the reasons I associate water with transformative properties. I also believe that water is the element that is easiest to see in all of the elemental forms. You have liquid water, you have air of water (clouds and fog), You have fire of water (steam) and you have earth of water (ice). I do believe that all elements have a form in all of the elements, but that you can see it easiest in water.
Holdasown wrote:I read one that a women talked to water both negative and positive then put it on plants. The negative water plants died. The object was to show that since we are made up of 80% water negative words effect us in a way we might not realize. I like to work with it.
I've heard of similar experiments. You are right in that water is a powerful element. It really is the element of life.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I live on a the Ohio River I tend to like lake and rivers more than the ocean. Thanks for the recipe. I need start a book on just bathing.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Holdasown wrote:I live on a the Ohio River I tend to like lake and rivers more than the ocean.
I like the feel of rivers in some cases. For me I like the ponds quiet feel. Though I can't get away from the ocean. Two ocean gods have basically made themselves at home in my life. Both Poesiodn and Niord have asked me to be one of their followers. So I have to stay close to the ocean. Hell my college campus was on the ocean.
Holdasown wrote:Thanks for the recipe.
No problem. The wash as I said was fairly effective. I personally found that wash held most of the properties of psychic sun powers rather than the moon psychic power.
Holdasown wrote: I need start a book on just bathing.
I should just write a book lol.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Bathing must be today's theme...coincidentally, I posted a post about home made bar soaps that I stumbled upon earlier, and had to share, lol

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Kassandra wrote:.

Bathing must be today's theme...coincidentally, I posted a post about home made bar soaps that I stumbled upon earlier, and had to share, lol
Well today was the first spring rain, though it was very light and was essentially freezing rain or a mist. So to me it was very refreshing. It also made me think about how water is used in spell and ritual work in many different cultures. I thought of Hoodoo specifically at the moment because its what I am currently studying. However water does have various properties and powers and myths in many cultures which makes it appropriate for all basic practices.

I find it interesting how washes can be an actual wash (like a soap or liquid based cleaner for items), water that is infused and applied to the body or area, or a combination of them all. Washes to me are an interesting thing. I do consider washes and baths to be separate practices but they can be related.

I would put working with magical soaps in the working with magical water category. In order for soaps to work they need to be applied to water of some form. This activities the energy enhancing properties of water as well as brings out the properties in the soap. I have not made magical soap myself but I have won and used a few different types each successfully so I understand the concept and context.

I find that baths work on the body and on the mind through again the use of water. Though I do find it interesting that in some traditions baths don't have to be a soak in a tub. A bath could be a sponge bath of sorts. This I think may be related to locations and practices but its an interesting concept to think about.

What do you think the differences between a soaking bath or a sponge bath would be? Do you think there would be benefits to one over the other for different situations?
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Holda - love your idea for Thor water. I use storm water myself for added 'oomph' in workings, sometimes I just drink it!

Regarding washes, the ones I have and use are Black cat, Peace water, and good old Four theives vinegar.

If I really want to remove negative attachments, I stand under a waterfall chanting a mantra, angel or God name.
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

-Dark-Moon- wrote:Holda - love your idea for Thor water.
I do too. For me as a witch with some Germanic leaning (occasionally my Germanic pagan practices and my witchcraft are seperate) it provides a way for me to include concepts I see in Hoodoo to the Gods and spirits of my ancestral path. Where in both Germanic paganism and witchcraft and Hoodoo both place an influence on working with ones ancestors to me it seems like a good way to work the two together magically. That is also why I asked for specifics regarding the collection of and working with storm water or the Thors Water.
-Dark-Moon- wrote: I use storm water myself for added 'oomph' in workings, sometimes I just drink it!
Really? How does drinking it effect you energetically? It seems to me that drinking storm water would be an excellent way to supercharge your own energy for workings both on yourself or on your environment (home or place or work). I dont know if I could contain that much energy in my body through drinking it so I am curious about the effects it has had on your body.

I did rub a bit of the misty storm water on my hair and my body this morning when I greeted the Norse Goddess of Spring (Ostara) and the Norse Goddess of Youth, Beauty, and Rejuvenation (Idun). I felt refreshed and energized. I also could feel a bit of a spring of life in the misty morning. There was a hint of winter and ice remaining (it had been freezing rain over night) yet I could feel the renewal of life returning and the God and Goddess of the spring and the Earth saying its our time now. So here I sort of felt reminded of Iduns myth where her apple is stolen by a giant and retrieved by Loki. Then it is retrieved and the powers return. I felt that this morning.

I also felt the powers of the God and Goddess I mentioned in my Grimoire thread. So when I rubbed that mist into my face there was a balance of the winter reflection and ease as the power releases and the welcome life of the spring actual renewal as the Gods switch places and the wheel turns. To me I felt this morning through the mist or thus through the spring morning water the true essence of the spring equinox.
-Dark-Moon- wrote:Regarding washes, the ones I have and use are Black cat, Peace water, and good old Four theives vinegar.
Peace water. Thats one I am interested in. Its something I would love to use in my parents home. My parents have given me blanket permission to use basically any magic I feel will help their relationship and their house remain peaceful, When my mom read the Happy Home spell in the first book I was ever given on witchcraft she asked me why I never performed it. I couldn't answer. Now I feel no reason not to use magic to help them as I have been asked to.

What is in your peace water?

As for Four thieves vinegar I'm still not 100% sure about its use as a potion (I define potions as liquid spells that can be applied to people or items for the spell to take effect or more commonly ingested through teas or drinks of some form). I've seen many different reasons for its use and its making. Would you be willing to tell me how you use Four Thieves vinegar?

I am not really familiar with black cat water. I may have read about it in one of my books but can't quite remember specifics. I mean as a type of water or amulet the name rings a vague bell. I just haven't gone through and taken accurate notes on everything I have read yet. That may be one of those items. So what do you mean and use Black cat water for?
-Dark-Moon- wrote:If I really want to remove negative attachments, I stand under a waterfall chanting a mantra, angel or God name.
I used a cold mountain broke for the same thing. This broke was fed from the top of local mountains to a small pond and to larger rivers etc till it meets the ocean. That broke and pond are a sacred place to me. They are part of a physical place my parents once owned but now I only can visit astrally. Its still the place I think of when I think of a place in perfect harmony of land,sea, and sky ecosystems working together. They are all in harmony there so it was beautiful. That place there was actually what drilled in me at a very young age the sacredness of nature and the spirits in all things.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

-Dark-Moon- wrote:Holda - love your idea for Thor water. I use storm water myself for added 'oomph' in workings, sometimes I just drink it!
I would have never thought of that. It's pretty clean just falling into the jar. Gonna have to try that one.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Guys, where I live the pollution is so bad drinking storm water is not advisable. I wouldn't even want to use it for non-internal potions, either. Sad, isn't it. I'll never forget: I went sky-diving years ago, and was like, "Awww, that big cloud hanging in the air, that's so pretty," to which my sky-diving instructor replied, "That's no cloud. That is the pollution layer we breathe every day." Gah, I've been grossed out and infuriated ever since.

Anyway, any suggestions for substitutes for storm water, that would carry the same oomph from Mother Nature? Guess I'd probably just have to order some from somewhere else. Who'd sell storm water, though? Hey...that'd be a great item for your next giveaway, Holdasown, some bottled "Thor's Water," maybe with a Thurisaz rune inscribed on it, and other correspondences, hehe.

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Kassandra wrote:.
Guys, where I live the pollution is so bad drinking storm water is not advisable. I wouldn't even want to use it for non-internal potions, either. Sad, isn't it.
That really is sad. I guess you could distill it yourself after you bottled the storm water but then I think the energetic effects of the storm would be gone. Is there any place near by where there is a pure stream or something?

I often forget that there are some places in my country that are very polluted in the air and in the water supply. Maine doesn't have much pollution. We have had issues with over logging but that was actually fixed, and the polluted waters that are in Maine have been being cleared out. There are places where the water is so clean you can drink it from the lake (I actually did growing up).

That shouldn't surprise people though as Poland Spring Water is actually located in Maine. Having that naturally as your well water is being spoiled.

Kassandra wrote:.I'll never forget: I went sky-diving years ago, and was like, "Aw, that big cloud hanging in the air is so pretty," to which my instructor replied, "That's no cloud. That's the pollution layer." Gah, I've been grossed out and infuriated ever since
Seeing that would emphasize all the lessons I learned watching Captain Planet growing up.

Kassandra wrote:Anyway, any suggestions for substitutes for storm water, that would carry the same oomph from Mother Nature? Guess I'd probably just have to order some from somewhere else. Who'd sell storm water, though? Hey...that'd be a great item for your next giveaway, Holdasown, some bottled "Thor's Water," maybe with a Thurisaz rune inscribed on it, and other correspondences, hehe.
If all the water in your area is polluted and you wouldn't want to use it I'd buy jugs of Poland Spring Water. That water is actually Spring Water from across Maine. So you would have the essence of not only pure spring water but also of a state which still is very wild and pure.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

loona wynd wrote:That really is sad...Is there any place near by where there is a pure stream or something?
There are lots of rivers and lakes in the area. But again, whenever rainwater is toxic, the land water gets toxified by it too, though the rivers and lakes here are primarily comprised of melted snow water steadily flowing down from the mountains.

But then, there's toxic run-off from the massive agricultural areas we've got here (pesticides sprayed on the crops that get into the soil, then into the water tables beneath the ground). Also, there's huge toxicity from cattle ranches here, as well. You should see those sad places; the cattle just sit around in their feces all day, huge mountains of it, covered up with big sheets of white plastic which are held down with rubber tires. You could see (and smell!) several such places along the freeway, Interstate 5, up and down the state. There have been heated legal battles over this. It is an environmental catastrophe!

Plus there's this, so here soon I'm going to be neon green and glowing in the dark anyway, lol. Nobody here is paying any attention to this news, because as Isis3Anubis mentioned in another post, the mainstream news media is completely controlled and suppressed in America, despite America's reputation of being so "free," so it's not getting reported except for in alternative and/or foreign news sources, such as BBC. People are so dumb-down here, they figure, "Well, if CNN hasn't reported it, then it must not really be happening." Corporate interests, who sponsor [meaning bankroll, and therefore control] mainstream media don't want anyone to panic and leave the state, because then those corporations would lose money. So, they'd rather people quietly get sick from radiation poisoning instead. Nice).

Anyway, while California is a beautiful state to behold, it's really a big toxic mess.

So, in short, there'll be no drinking of storm, river or lake waters for me anytime soon!

Return to “Folk Magick”