The Ancestor Altar

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
Kassandra

The Ancestor Altar

Post by Kassandra »

Ms. Micheale - ancestor offering.jpg
Ms. Micheale - ancestor offering.jpg (28.22 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
I thought I'd make my first post in this forum be about ancestor altars, one of the most, if not the most, central emphasis in hoodoo. I was inspired by Xiao Rong's moving post about her foray into investigating her family heritage. It reminded me of the important role of family members in hoodoo practice, specifically our ancestral family members on the other side of the veil. Working with the ancestors is a fundamental tenet of hoodoo. In fact, all indigenous African spiritual paths make it a priority to honor the ancestors, so you'll see this feature in all the "African Diaspora" religions, as well.

As a medium, I can tell you that the departed love being acknowledged by the living! It absolutely tickles them pink, I kid you not. No one likes to be ignored, and everyone, even the dead, likes to be remembered and appreciated. So, the first thing you'd probably want to do as a hoodoo practitioner is create an ancestor altar. It's not a "rule" or anything, just a strong recommendation. Ancestors are considered your allies, your team.

Bloodline Ancestors

The approach to ancestors in hoodoo is that they are not worshipped, per se, but they are deeply revered. "Family comes first," and if you include gods in your hoodoo practices (an option and personal preference, not a requirement, as there are no "hoodoo gods"), then ancestors take precedence over those gods. Ancestors are considered still "part of the family" even after they die. Their point of view is respected and sought out.

They are consulted for advice, just as our living relatives would be. If you are planning to start a new business, or are going off to college, or are about to be a new parent, you would take some time to share your thoughts about these things with the ancestors at your ancestor altar. You would tell them about it, and seek their blessing and guidance in these things. If somebody is bullying you, you tell the ancestors about it and ask their protection and assistance dealing with this nuisance. Whenever you do spellwork related to all of the above (and more), you would always include your ancestors in the working.

Ancestor-Altar-www.tarotbyjacqueline.com_.jpg

"Adopted" Ancestors

Hoodoo takes into account that everybody's family situation isn't the same, nor ideal. Some people don't even know who their blood relatives are. Some don't feel "connected" to their family of origin. Some are adopted by non-bloodline people. In hoodoo, there is allowance for all this. A practitioner could simply "adopt" any "new" ancestors to whom they feel a truly strong connection. Adopted ancestors are just as important as bloodline ones are, and all of the above about bloodline ancestors would likewise apply.

Here are excerpts of articles written by experienced rootworkers for setting up an ancestor altar and working with ancestors:

The Ancestor Altar
by Miss Michaele, rootworker

An ancestor altar is an effective and beautiful way to connect with and gain support from the spirit world. It can be as simple as a photograph and a glass of water, or as elaborate as the spirits direct. An even stronger connection than a photograph is a little dirt from your ancestors’ graves. There is an art to getting that dirt in a respectful manner.

Go to the grave, bringing with you a small container such as a pill bottle, a spoon or trowel, a few coins and (if your ancestor has no history of alcoholism), a small bottle of whiskey. Introduce yourself to your ancestor. Explain what you want to do — bring home a little dirt from the grave so that you can build a connection with him or her. Pour the whiskey over the grave and tuck the coins into the grass about where your ancestor’s hand would be. Then spoon a small quantity of dirt into the pill bottle. When you get home, put the graveyard dirt into an attractive, appropriately sized container.

Saturday is the traditional day for working with the dead. The traditional, basic offering — the “meat and potatoes” of the spirit world — is a glass of water; some folks, drawing on the traditions of the Spiritual Church, dye the water pale blue. Once you have set up a simple altar, you may wish to make weekly offerings of food, music, or other items as the spirit directs. Of course, if you know your family’s favorite foods, etc., you may certainly offer those.

Pay attention to unusual food cravings and “earworms” –tunes running through your mind that you can’t get rid of. These may be requests for particular offerings from your ancestors. The lyrics, or an associated memory, may reveal what they want — or it may be the music itself that they want to hear.

When you approach your altar, show respect, ask forgiveness if you have done wrong – but also tell them your troubles and don’t hesitate to express yourself. It’s OK to get your BMW on (Bitch, Moan, Whine) [I love this! --K]. You can also recruit “new” ancestors – those who have passed on and succeeded in the things you wish to accomplish, even if they are not related to you. I would also recommend at least one person who dedicated his or her life to good works and/or justice.

To read the full article by Miss Michaele, visit:
hoodoofoundry.com/casting/the-ancestor-altar/ (<~~~copy and paste this into your browser)

Ancestor altar Voudon.jpg

Ancestors! In Vodou and Elsewhere
by Houngan Hector, Haitian Vodou priest

(note: because hoodoo and Vodou are both African Diaspora
spiritual paths, they share the same views on the importance
of working with ancestors, so I include this article here)

Importance of Ancestors

At the core of every Afro-Caribbean tradition is the propitiation of one's ancestors. Even most Hispanic Catholics that I know revere their ancestors with a glass of water and a candle, thus giving their ancestral spirits luz (light: to guide their way), progreso (progress; advancement), and refresco (refreshment). The ancestors are so fundamental, so basic to the individual that one's first service in any of these traditions should be to them. They are essential to your well-being and development.

One coming into the world is standing on the shoulders of his or her ancestors. In other words, it was they who made you. One change in the past could have changed your position in the world today, including your very presence in this world at all! Our ancestors help guide us to our respective paths. They take us where we need to be in life. They love us and oftentimes want to contribute to our well being.

Who is an Ancestor?

Now, other people from various traditions have different ideas as to who constitutes as an ancestor. For some practitioners, only someone who died a "natural" death can be considered an ancestor. I, however, disagree with this view. Family actually extends quite far also, in my view. First, as I have stated, there are the ancestors of your biological bloodline. These are your mother, father, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. These family members, considered by mostly everyone as such, frequently qualify as ancestors. But there are more.

Are you adopted? If you are, then you have a second set of parents, siblings, cousins and family. They are your ancestors too. Do you have a deceased friend, who you considered family in life? He or she is an ancestor. A deceased spouse is an ancestor. Deceased members of your spiritual family are your ancestors. (According to your tradition, your initiator should teach you how to approach this.) Have you had an abortion or miscarriage? Those child spirits can also be considered ancestors and included on your altar. Spiritual guides can also be placed on your altar and given their special place. This is because the bottom line is: we all have something to contribute.

Ancestors are individuals who still have their own personalities. This should be taken into account. You should not consider that because they died they will suddenly have a reawakening and become all peace and light. This does sometimes happen however. With some exceptions, most ancestors will react to situations, problems, and proposals in ways that are in accordance with their personality in life. If a person was lazy in life, one can most likely assume that they are still lazy in death, and you will have to work to get them motivated. If someone was a workaholic, however, you can expect them to work day and night on your problem until it is resolved.

Your ancestors are all around you. They are with you. Use this to your advantage in everyday life. When looking for a carpenter, why not ask Uncle Juan - known for his excellence in carpentry in life - for help. Skills, attributes, and traits are all transferred with death. If your grandmother just loved coffee, why not serve her some on the altar? If your heritage shows that you are German, give your ancestors German foods. If your family is from Hungary then give them traditional Hungarian foods. There are other things that most ancestors will gladly accept.

At the Ancestor Altar

For one, whenever working with a spirit, an ancestor, a Lwa, a mo, whatever, one should always have at least a glass of water and a candle. Ancestor staples include coffee with and without sugar, bread, milk, coconuts, candy, white rice, chicken, and other white foods. When serving your ancestors remember that their foods are served without salt. Salt has the ability to make the ancestors depart and nullify their powers; in fact it would be better not to serve them at all then to serve them with salt. After the first service, however, your ancestors should be immune to salt, and you can offer them foods that contain modest amounts of salt.

You will need to find a table to set up as your altar. Any type of table will do. A nightstand will work also, but be sure to keep the altar out of your bedroom if at all possible. This is because the spirits will often disturb your dreams and/or cause you problems in having a romantic partner. Place a large glass of water in the center of the table. You can choose to use a white cloth as an altar cloth. Under this glass of water, you can place a small round hand mirror. The spirits are known to live on the other side of the mirror. Both these things will amplify your ability to contact them. In my family, we use a brandy snifter and a white men's handkerchief as our altar cloth.

To this altar, add photos of your ancestors. (DO NOT INCLUDE PHOTOS WHICH HAVE LIVING PERSONS IN THEM!!!) You can also add jewelry that once belonged to them, trinkets, and other things that remind you of your ancestors. Let them be your guide. Some people keep dirt from a deceased family member's grave on the table, small toys (for spirits of deceased children), crosses, bibles, and flowers. White flowers are appropriate, as well as the inclusion of a single red rose. Just one though.

Name all your ancestors as far back as you can. You should start with the most recently deceased. Then state: "To all those ancestors who I know and who I don't know" This is a classical way, in Vodou, to cover all your bases. Then present your offerings to the four directions. Tell your ancestors what you are giving them, for example "Here is cake for you to eat, coffee to give you energy, etc." Then tell your ancestors that you love them, you remember them, and you are serving them.

Have a short period of remembrance. Experience your ancestors to the fullest extent of your abilities. Draw from their wisdom. Remember the love they showed you in life. Allow them to bring you inspirations, give you advice, and communicate with you. Some people use rattles, bells, or other noisemakers to attract the ancestors' attention. You can do this too, see what works for you. Ask your ancestors for peace, guidance, to clear your path of obstacles, for blessings. Then leave the room and let them eat. After at least twenty four hours, you can go back and remove the food offerings and leave them under a bush or in a cemetery.

If you would like to receive a really clear, strong message from your ancestor in the form of a dream, you can sleep in front of the altar. Your ancestors can help you a great deal by clearing your path of obstacles. They will work on your behalf. They will give you insights and blessings. But if you slack in their services, ignore them, mistreat them, they can also do the exact opposite. You will find yourself with obstacles springing up all over. So, take care of them and their table. You should attend to your altar at the very least once a week. Keep it clean. Keep the water fresh. Keep the glass washed.

To read the full article by Hougan Hector, visit:
ezilikonnen.com/ancestors/ancestors.html (<~~~copy and paste this into your browser)

A whole room dedicated to the residents' ancestors:
Attachments
BovedaRoom.jpg
Echo_of_shadows

Re: The Ancestor Altar

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Excellent share, Kassandra! :D I've had a fascination with ancestral altars for quite some time. This does answer a couple of the questions I had about working with ancestors, such as who can be considered an ancestor. It's also very helpful to know to avoid putting the altar in your bedroom. :shock: I do plan to read the full articles at a later time. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

You're welcome, glad it helps. If you Google "ancestor altar" there are tons of interesting articles on the 'net. I had a hard time narrowing it down to the two excerpted articles above. I saw many other good ones.

While it's good the information about who is considered an ancestor was interesting to you, it goes without saying to remember it is only one perspective, and not definitive to all ancestor work in all magical/spiritual paths. Every culture is different.

In Japan, for example, they are very bloodline-oriented, very family-name-based. So, I'm not sure that the "choose your own ancestor" paradigm would go over very well there, if at all. The information above presents only one perspective on ancestor work, that of hoodoo, out of the many that exist.

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

In one of the books I am reading there is a note on the ancestral altar to never have a picture of the living. Which in general I understand. The ancestors are those who have passed on and now live in the spirit world. So I can see why that would be a general guideline, yet I wondered about my own circumstances and if the rule or guideline would still apply.

Now I am adopted so I have no connection to my blood ancestors. Yet in a meditation to do ancestral work I have seen 4 lines of "blood" streaming from my body. I saw one for my foster family, one for my adoptive family, one that had to be my fiance's family, and one line I have to say is my blood and biological ancestry. Which if you understand adoption and fostering historical makes sense, the ancestors of the foster and adoptive families take over in some cultures the roles of the blood ancestors, in other cultures they simply supplement the blood ancestors.

This image was very powerful to me and I knew that it would also heal my soul wounds due to my adoption if I found a way to try and work with all of those ancestral powers. So I decided to set up an ancestral altar. Having lost several family members over the years of my practice in witchcraft I thought it would also be a good way to stay connected to those people as well.

I have on my ancestral altar (which was created due to the important role ancestors play in traditional witchcraft) a photo of my biological mother and her father at her first wedding to represent a connection to my biological family. Placing that photo on the altar to me was reclaiming that part of my identity mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. I also have photos of my adoptive grandmother, a memorial of my fiance's grandfather, a picture of my Great Grand meme, and a photo of my foster father, all who are dead and gone but never forgotten. On this altar I also have a skull (symbolic in traditional witchcraft) a candle, and a cup for liquid offerings.'

I have at this moment no way of knowing if they are alive or not. So I put the photo there as a trigger to connect to the dead ancestors of that part of my family. Yet I wonder if in doing so I have possible hastened their deaths or caused issues for them. The book in question said something along the lines of that doing so makes the dead want those people among them or causes them to yearn for the living.

What are your thoughts on using a photo of someone whose probably living but you don't know for sure on the altar as a way to connect to a distant blood ancestral line?
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

My thoughts are that rules are made to be broken, otherwise where's the fun in life? (I won't tell if you won't). If you saw my altars, you'd have quite the chuckle, due to thoughts #1 and #2 above, hehe, so... rock on, sistah' girl halfsm If you want to add an even more interesting twist to the mix, get your DNA tested. You'd be surprised what comes up in these tests! lol. People think they know their "family line," but often there are other family histories that were never told, it seems. Cat Yronwode wants to write a book about this topic one day...ancestor work based on one's genetic test results. Intriguing idea, I think.

Once you learn your genetic ancestral story, you could have some items on your ancestor altar representing these ancestors. For instance, if you ever visit there you could take some soil from that country and incorporate it into your altar space. If you can't go to that country, you could do other things like include a Google Earth map of that location as a placemarker to represent this ancestral homeland, and/or place imported items actually manufactured in that country on the altar. Use your imagination! I would love to get my DNA tested, and see what comes up. :?

Kassandra

Is a Photo of a Living "Ancestor" Harmful to Them?

Post by Kassandra »

loona wynd wrote:I have at this moment no way of knowing if they are alive or not. So I put the photo there as a trigger to connect to the dead ancestors of that part of my family. Yet I wonder if in doing so I have possible hastened their deaths or caused issues for them. The book in question said something along the lines of that doing so makes the dead want those people among them or causes them to yearn for the living.

What are your thoughts on using a photo of someone whose probably living but you don't know for sure on the altar as a way to connect to a distant blood ancestral line?
Loona, for some reason, the first time I read your post, I didn't catch this question about possibly hastening your relatives' death...

No, no, I don't think you are doing that at all by having that picture on your altar. You are reaching out in a loving way, and whether they are alive right now or not, they will get that vibe of love. I think you're fine (but, that's just my opinion; a more traditional practitioner might tell you otherwise). Your ancestor altar sounds very thoughtful and warm, and the four bloodlines meditation you experienced sounded very authentic and heartfelt. Like you said, with an adoption, your ancestral situation may be a bit different than most peoples,' and an exception to some rules may be in order.

Anyway, I was going to post an afterthought I had this morning regarding breaking the rules, that's why I was reading over your post again. As I looked over at my grandmother's pic in my room this morning, I thought to myself, no way would I want her pic anywhere else in the house. It is an old water color on silk formal portrait, and I'm the only one of my siblings that has any such thing. It is dear to me. I also thought of a story about my mom's pic that kind of made me chuckle: once, I hung my late mother's pic in the hallway, thinking since she could "see" everybody passing by, she'd just love it there. But no. One day I walked by her pic and it seemed to be saying, "I don't like the hallway. Get me out of here. I feel like I'm wallpaper or something."

So, I broke the "no ancestor pics in the bedroom" rule, and set up my ancestor altar there. It just felt like the right thing to do to me. I realize some more traditional folks would frown on that, but I like "discussing" my dilemmas with them in the privacy of my room, versus trying to do the same in the den, or the kitchen, or the living room, all of which have no privacy. These were just some things that occurred to me this morning, in relation to your original question.

Thanks.

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Kassandra wrote:
"Adopted" Ancestors

Hoodoo takes into account that everybody's family situation isn't the same, nor ideal. Some people don't even know who their blood relatives are. Some don't feel "connected" to their family of origin. Some are adopted by non-bloodline people. In hoodoo, there is allowance for all this. A practitioner could simply "adopt" any "new" ancestors to whom they feel a truly strong connection. Adopted ancestors are just as important as bloodline ones are, and all of the above about bloodline ancestors would likewise apply.

Hi...it's me.
Kassandra, somehow I missed this post, and I wanted to say I feel better already knowing I really can relate to my adopted parents as part of my personal ancestral myth of becoming. Being an adopted person has it's own set of difficulties, let alone the added question of which cabbage path did I originate from...
For a long time I really felt I didn't have the right to call their ancestors my own, I had my own bloodline, even though unknown to me until I was 27. (Let me tell you ...finding a biological parent opens a can of worms you never expected,) but I did find my Matrilineal line, which was very interesting...turns out my Bio-moms Dad was very into ancestry.

Over time, it came to my attention that there are many folks in ones life that could be considered family and therefore ancestors, and since we are all related I now consider everyone my ancestor... yes,...even the god, bad and the ugly. We are on the planet of Man/Woman and our connection to each other is largely unrealized.
This idea of an Ancestor Altar is very intriguing, and I am loving this thread. I usually reserve the pics and such for the Hallows time of year.
loona wynd wrote:What are your thoughts on using a photo of someone whose probably living but you don't know for sure on the altar as a way to connect to a distant blood ancestral line?
Loona, I struggled with this one for a long time, since my favorite pic of G-pa (who had passed) was in the arms of my G-ma who was still living (at the time). I wondered if it was blasphemous to have them on the Samhian Altar together.
I eventually got over it, though not without that thought for years and years, and she lived to a healthy 100years old.
I believe since we are not working magic that would be detrimental to ones life, this is an Altar of remembrance,
and the family you are no longer connected to is still part of your myth of becoming whether they are still alive or not.

Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I love that term, "myth of becoming," firebirdflys. The acknowledgement of our ancestors seems to be our acknowledgement that we are part of a continuum, we are always becoming. Nice. I personally believe we all have two "lines" that are part of our "myth of becoming," as you call it: a bloodline, and a "soul line," much more spiritual than a bloodline.

You and loona make a lot of insightful points about the complicated dynamics of adoption, and give us something more to think about regarding ancestor altar work. Thank you.

North Star

Post by North Star »

I have kept my grandfathers prayer card and photo on my altar since he passed in 1999. Prayer cards are a Catholic tradition, commonly distributed at funerals with a favorite prayer and the name and dates of the deceased (sometimes a picture of them also).

On my Grandfathers card is Psalm 23, which can be used for prosperity, protection, wisdom, guidance, love and dream work in hoodoo (some of my favorite things). Maybe this has helped me along in some ways that I wasnt even completely aware of. Thank you to Kassandra for sharing the information on psalmic magic a few months back which got me thinking more of how this prayer, and my Grandfathers spirit is always with me.

I have been told my grandfather is my 'guardian angel' by family, he adored me and I adored him. He was the friendliest, kindest, popular and very loved man I have ever known. I have a deep love of the ocean and lighthouses as did he, and since he passed this developed in me even more. He has a gorgeous engraved lighthouse on his headstone. During his funeral my aunt brought out a beautiful clear quartz. We (myself, my mom and 3 aunts) all held it tight for a few moments putting our love and energy into it and then placed it with him.

I think there has always been a reason why I keep him there with me, and the connection to the psalm I can see he has absolutely helped me in wisdom, guidance and protection. The lighthouse I keep on my altar is a symbol for him as well as a symbol to 'help me find my way in darkness'.

My father passed just a few years ago, and some very close friends I have lost young and unexpected, I do honor them at Samhain or birthdays and stuff like that, but it hasn't felt right to keep their cards or photos on my altar all the time. I dont know why, I love them all dearly, but I have only felt that protection and guidance from my grandfather. My mom also honors him on her altar.

I was not aware of the importance of a glass of water. I do keep water as an elemental symbol, but I am going to add an offering just for him. Thank you for sharing this, Kassandra. :wink:
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I just completed an honoring your ancestors class. The person was Heathen who taught but there were several types of faiths involved. She kept the class to ten so it was intimate. We had eight weeks of assignments and they all increased our interactions with the dead. It was so helpful the most important thing I did was set up my altar. It's full of energy. If you want to connect with your dead in any way even a small separate space will help.
North Star

Post by North Star »

Thanks for answering a question I had, Holdasown. My main altar is a little busy right now, but I have a wall shelf that has been taking the form of a second altar and was thinking of placing my ancestoral altar there. Thank you for that tip! :)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Holdasown wrote:I just completed an honoring your ancestors class. The person was Heathen who taught but there were several types of faiths involved. She kept the class to ten so it was intimate. We had eight weeks of assignments and they all increased our interactions with the dead. It was so helpful the most important thing I did was set up my altar. It's full of energy. If you want to connect with your dead in any way even a small separate space will help.
That is so cool. Could you provide a link? I know the class is over, but I'm interested in the person who taught it, her perogative on things, etc. What a great class to teach. And I like how several other faiths were looked at, as well. I like comparing and contrasting spiritual things like that.

Yes, the ancestor altars have a lot of fun energy to them. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I really do think they get tickled pink when we say hello to them.

In fact, in some cultures it's an insult not to do so. Maxine Hong Kingston wrote that in her ancestral culture, Chinese, the worst thing you could do is ignore your ancestors. The only time that happens is when the ancestor committed some kind of crime, shamed the family or community. The actual "punishment" to that person was not the punishment they received during their lifetime, but when his/her family erases their memory, never acknowledges that person existed, not even says their name in conversation, ever. Ouch.

As always, your input is insightful, Holdasown. I love how you are so spiritually adventurous. You get out there, learn and do new things (and then share them with us here, which is nice :wink2: ). Thanks!

North Star wrote:On my Grandfathers card is Psalm 23, which can be used for prosperity, protection, wisdom, guidance, love and dream work in hoodoo (some of my favorite things). Maybe this has helped me along in some ways that I wasnt even completely aware of. Thank you to Kassandra for sharing the information on psalmic magic a few months back which got me thinking more of how this prayer, and my Grandfathers spirit is always with me.

I have been told my grandfather is my 'guardian angel' by family, he adored me and I adored him. He was the friendliest, kindest, popular and very loved man I have ever known. I have a deep love of the ocean and lighthouses as did he, and since he passed this developed in me even more. He has a gorgeous engraved lighthouse on his headstone. During his funeral my aunt brought out a beautiful clear quartz. We (myself, my mom and 3 aunts) all held it tight for a few moments putting our love and energy into it and then placed it with him.
What a spiritual family you have. That is so beautiful what you all did with the clear quartz, a wonderful gift for the departed. We could "insert" a thought form into a crystal, like "programming" it, and it will keep broadcasting the vibration of it, indefinitely. So, your loving energies are symbolically always wherever he is on the other side. In future posts, I will talk about how ancestral graveyard dirt has been traditionally incorporated into hoodoo workings. I know "cursing" is what comes to many peoples' minds when they read that, but that's not where I'm going, as I encourage positive workings in this forum. But using it can be a really beautiful touch, actually.

And it seems you've already had an ancestor altar established all these years, just with that little Psalm card. I believe it's the connection we make that's important, and our ancestor altars don't need a lot of meaningless stuff on them. I'm glad that Psalmic magic post helped put pieces together for you, informed your practice a bit, etc. I've been learning a lot about my own Catholic background, though I wasn't raised as such. Hoodoo seems to tie many things together (for me at least).

Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Kassandra wrote:.
Holdasown wrote:I just completed an honoring your ancestors class. The person was Heathen who taught but there were several types of faiths involved. She kept the class to ten so it was intimate. We had eight weeks of assignments and they all increased our interactions with the dead. It was so helpful the most important thing I did was set up my altar. It's full of energy. If you want to connect with your dead in any way even a small separate space will help.
That is so cool. Could you provide a link?
Since the class is paid for it's done in a private yahoo group only for members but I can link to her blog. http://krasskova.weebly.com/1/post/2014 ... march.html
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Cool, thanks.

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I find it interesting about the not setting up the ancestor altar in the bedroom. For years this is where I had mine. I had all my altars in the bedroom. It was where I did most of my magical work. Now I have a room dedicated to it so I have my altars there. I would think that having an altar in the bedroom would make it easier for the ancestors to visit you in dreams.

Return to “Folk Magick”