Masks

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
Holdasown

Masks

Post by Holdasown »

I have been pulled to make a mask lately. I have decided to make one out of gourd. Besides being a large item it's local and I have seen some on the internet that are awesome. I think it will help me to AT or Lucid Dream. Has anyone made them or used them? Do you know anyone who has? I was just wondering I am going on instinct and snippits from dreams.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Masks

Post by Firebird »

This a great idea Holda, I made a mask of Crennunos once when I was feeling very butch, it' was an amazing experience I wore it as part of a ritual (it was for Bealtaine)
I have often wanted to do a masked Rite at Samhain, and maybe it can happen this year...I'll get back to you, I have to get ready for work now.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Cool, I was thinking it might help and I think it would be cool to use for Holda rites especially the Wild Hunt. I can get a gourd and maybe even horse hair. I have an idea, I must have dreamed it. Cool someone else has tried it.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

You have sparked my interest once again! :fairy: , I think I will have a mask making workshop this dark moon, it would be fantastic to do a masked rite and let everyone shift to their totem animal. Kinda sounds like Chaos! Fun!
You know...I have this book by a fellow...Chas Clifton, and he has some great mask making tips and rites to go with them, I go find it and get the particulars.
BB, FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Thanks. I am excited now to do one. I thought maybe I was out in left field or something.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

A gourd mask sounds intriguing.
I have a mask that has black and white glitter and I think it would be perfect for moon rites. I think rituals dedicated to Bastet while wearing cat ears would be cool. =^.^=
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Firebirdflys, did you ever have that workshop? I would love to participate in something like that. What a cool Wiccan high priestess you are. Holdasown, I know you have your hands full with the precious little ones, but did you ever get a chance yet to make that gourd mask? I love how you get inspired to just make spiritual objects out of the blue.

So many creative people here (vervain, Erebus, wisehedgewitch, etc., etc.)! :wink:

Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Elisa wrote:.

Firebirdflys, did you ever have that workshop? I would love to participate in something like that. What a cool Wiccan high priestess you are. Holdasown, I know you have your hands full with the precious little ones, but did you ever get a chance yet to make that gourd mask? I love how you get inspired to just make spiritual objects out of the blue.

So many creative people here (vervain, Erebus, wisehedgewitch, etc., etc.)! :wink:

No but I have all the stuff to make one out of paper machete. I am waiting until I have a long weekend over the holidays to do it.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Cool. :)
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I hope to have it done and a pic by Yule.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

ack...still to come on that one, but did use a wonderful pre-made crow mask for Samhain, then added fall leaves intertwined with a black feather boa, some orange, reds and purple ribbon, finished with a black top-hat that had little skeltons all dancing around the rim (I ended up calling it my Grateful Dead hat)
Still, I really love paper mache'.
..Holda, Yule is also a great time to do a masked Rite, and I think it could be a good catalyst to AT and at the very least Shapeshifting. Have fun creating!
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

firebirdflys wrote:...did use a wonderful pre-made crow mask for Samhain, then added fall leaves intertwined with a black feather boa, some orange, reds and purple ribbon, finished with a black top-hat that had little skeltons all dancing around the rim (I ended up calling it my Grateful Dead hat)
Nice!

Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Since we are snowed in kinda today I am trying to get all my craft stuff done. I am making my black salt right now, got newspaper to start the mask and I have all the paint and the oil to make my turkey feet. Should be a good day. :flyingwitch:
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

This is the basic of it done. I will meditate on it for runes or more decorations and I want to add horse hair. I wanted it to be prettier but I couldn't get the ribbon to curve and I am not as good at being crafty as I would like to be.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I make masks for my practice. I use them mostly in shape shifting rites and work at the moment. I find that having a mask for me helps me get into the mind of that animal spirit. When I shape shift I want to have as close of a connection to that animal spirit as I can. It helps to at times have a picture of the animal present but most often I don't have any picture to reference.

When I make my masks I let the spirit of the animal basically guide me. Sometimes I let the spirit of the mask guide me instead. I have one mask that was going to be a yin/yang spirit mask (to invoke the spirit of balance and harmony). However as the mask was crafted it turned into a black and white owl mask. The mask spirit had its own ideas of what it wanted to be made into.

I also made a fox mask that once again I basically let the spirit guide me on what feathers to use for the fur feeling and the colors of the mask. I feel I did make a bit of a mistake with the ears on that mask. I still feel slightly foxy when I put it on. It was also my first mask.

The next mask I really need to make is a snake mask. I think I may even use actual shed snakeskin on the mask. The shed skin will be a direct connection to my snake animal familiar (who is also one of my pets). She will then be able to guide me and help me through the experiences shape shifting into a snake again.

The masks are not perfect but they provide what they were intended for. Like any craft and skill they will get better as my skill improves as a mask maker. I use a plastic base now. I hope to someday make leather masks as well. I think that mask making is a very effective way to experience spirit as once you put the mask on you become that spirit.

Return to “Folk Magick”