Moon eclipse?

For all things "moon", your guide to magical moon work, moon phases, etc.
L.J.Hex

Moon eclipse?

Post by L.J.Hex »

I'm looking at the moon calendar, thinking about spells and rituals... I have read about what kind of stuff people do during waning/waxing/full/new moon, but what about an eclipse?

I see there's one coming up on 21st of January, its two days before my birthday and I'm thinking of doing something witchy that night. What do you think eclipsed full moon is good for? What is the correspondence/energy of that? I haven't yet found any clear answer to this and though to ask the more experienced people on the forum to chime in.

What kind of spells or rituals have you done during one? Do you deal with it just as like normal full moon? Is there something the occulted full moon is useful for? Anything special about it?

Talk, I'm all ears. :flyingwitch:
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
barker

Re: Moon eclipse?

Post by barker »

Self and ego are in balance. Anything sexy enough. :)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

To me a lunar eclipse is a month full of moon packed into an hour. I have not done any spells on an eclipse day because they make me edgy - like a whole pot of coffee on an empty stomach.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

What Spirit said, it's like you experience a full cycle of the moon in a matter of hours. Many folks do not like working on a lunar eclipse saying it's bad luck, but I see it as experiencing that cycle you can do what you would in a regular moon cycle. As it starts to get dark do things that you would have removed or lessened. when it is full dark perhaps one wishes to leave something there in the darkness ie; bad habit, way of thinking, perhaps a banishing. When it begins to come back into light, work on things you would have come to you, and when back to full brightness, give thanks, blessings, offerings...honor deities encountered, celebrate the moon as one would on a typical moon celebration.

I'm a little tired, have a great night
bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Thank you for the replies. :)
barker

Post by barker »

barker wrote:Self and ego are in balance. Anything sexy enough. :)
I am thinking of an example of this. I bought a new shaver a while ago. That's a perfect thing to do during a lunar eclipse because it resets the higher self and proposes intellgent renewal. I guess what i am trying to get at is, if you want to do anything that is extremely selfish then lunar eclipse is a great time. You will feel at once delivered from the past and entered upon new awe. It's a willingness thing. Otherwise, yes you might experience anxiety, phobias, inner tumult. Again, a willingness thing...
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Interesting point Barker... :)
Wiccita

Post by Wiccita »

I'm so glad you asked this question! I was wondering the same thing.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

This website is a really good resource for all things time, date, lunar, solar related, they will have a live feed on that day.
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lun ... january-21
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I am using the waning moon of the New Year to banish everything I need to let go of and then the new moon on Jan. 5th to bring in the new positive. I have not figured out what to do with the eclipse. But I love the balancing of self ideal.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Wiccita

Post by Wiccita »

So if someone were to cast a spell with the lunar eclipse which would normally utilize a full moon, would the spell be started while the moon was still eclipsed, and completed as the moon became fully un-shadowed? Or would the spell be started only after the moon has become fully revealed after being eclipsed?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I don't think it matters. The whole eclipse cycle will influence the entire 24-hours since the previous moon-set of the day before. If you feel you need to be that precise & can time it & still function ritually within the eclipse itself, go for it. Otherwise - depending on whether your goal is attracting or releasing, just casting completely within the 12-hour period prior to totality for the waxing effect OR the 12-hrs after totality for waning effect might be a workable option. In my area it has been consistently overcast & I don't expect any viewing to be possible. Making eclipse moon water is about my speed...a whole month of moon in a bottle. :mrgreen:

On a full moon date the moon rises as the sun sets, and will reach zenith around midnight, give or take an hour for Daylight Saving Time.

My antiquated iPad couldn't open the link FBF, so I found this & I'll put it here:

January 21: Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse

On Jan. 21, people in North America, South America, Greenland, Iceland and more will be able to view a lunar eclipse that some are calling the “Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse.”

The astronomical event, a simultaneous total lunar eclipse and a “supermoon,” will take place on the night of Jan. 20 into the morning of Jan. 21. During the event, the moon will fall completely into Earth’s shadow, and appear red-colored and slightly larger than usual for about an hour.

The Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse will be the last total lunar eclipse until 2021.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think if you want to stay away from spell work, you could just enjoy the sight, and thank it.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Wiccita

Post by Wiccita »

Ah, interesting. Thank you. I had thought that when the moon was coming out of its totality, it was like a short, powerful waxing phase. But actually when it’s heading towards its eclipse, then THAT is the waxing phase in the eclipse context? And coming out of its eclipse is waning?
Wiccita

Post by Wiccita »

SnowCat, that too. We should have a good view where I am. Unless it’s too clouded over.

Return to “Working with the Moon”