Moon eclipse?

For all things "moon", your guide to magical moon work, moon phases, etc.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Moon eclipse?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Wiccita wrote:Ah, interesting. Thank you. I had thought that when the moon was coming out of its totality, it was like a short, powerful waxing phase. But actually when it’s heading towards its eclipse, then THAT is the waxing phase in the eclipse context? And coming out of its eclipse is waning?
There's no definitive way to interpret eclipses & NO RULES; but that's just how i'd look at if I thought about it. To me the whole sequence impacts the full 24-hour period from one moon rise to the next which gives us a flexible 24 hour period to use it, just like any other full moon. As id said, it really doesn't matter how you divide it. You'd seemed to be struggling to make a defined period of time for spell crafting, so I made a suggestion of using the period before totality to represent waxing influences & after totality to represent waning influences. What matters is how you feel and sense it out, in a way you can work with.

It seems to me that when a phase is concluded then it's influence has passed & is replaced by the next phase. So after the Moon's been dark it begins to grow again, so your concept is quite usable as well.
Wiccita

Post by Wiccita »

Ok, thanks. I didn't know if there was a generally accepted definition of the waxing and waning in an eclipse context.
Lenaleanna

Post by Lenaleanna »

This really is a good question...
In all of the years that I have practiced I hadn't really given much thought on eclipses and what effect they may or may not have on spell work. I've always observed the 3 days before, the day of, and the 3 days after the full moon... the waxing and waning... But I was asked once if I thought eclipses had an effect... I didn't know the answer but then I remembered to always do as I felt... I truly believe in *Do what feels right for you!* smiley_dance loveface :flyingwitch:

When I first heard and felt my path calling for me, I thought I had to know the *everything precise*- who, what, where, when, why and how!!! ***So I don't do it wrong... don't want to tick off any Deities... or invite evil into my house!!! Or have anything go wrong, bad, or negative. :anxious:
:P
Lol... I have since "relaxed"... lol... and knowledge, more experience and time just keep teaching me new things... yay!!!
Hummm... after reading my post... I don't know if I added any good information or advice... LOL!!!
Blessed be~
Lena
When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don't let go.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

The moon activity has really been affecting the residents at work. The last couple of evenings were brutal. At least I have the weekend off.
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Here in Michigan eclipse starts 1/20 at 9:40 pm with totality just after midnight 1/21 @12:15 am; if we get a chance to see it ... :)

Our forecast is partly cloudy and the coldest temps of the year so far at 3F ... That's bone marrow chilly.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

firebirdflys wrote:This website is a really good resource for all things time, date, lunar, solar related, they will have a live feed on that day.
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lun ... january-21
Do check for your time zone, here in the Los Angeles area it begins the 20th at 6:36 pm.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Astro Logical 1

Post by Astro Logical 1 »

To me, eclipses signify things shrouded in shadow and the shadow being removed.
Or the shadow is symbolic of looking at things through another light so to speak.
Alternate perspectives. Renewal. Washing over. A short opportunity to be out of the limelight. Alignment.

I'll be doing candle magick that actually casts shadows using spheres.
Love and Blessings
Wiccita

Post by Wiccita »

Well poop. Here in the SF area it’s expected to rain and be cloudy. I may not get a good view of it at all. :(
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Here its going to be somewhat cloudy and lovely -21. I was thinking of going outside to have a look... I'm not sure about the time of the day though.
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Check out the link Hex, you can enter your location to see the time and date. Remember there is a live feed for those who may be under a cloud.
Bb, FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Too bad, it seems to be around four in the afternoon here... Well, wont matter really as its almost total overcast anyway.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

In Helsinki ….which I don't know what town you are, shouldn't make a half day difference anyway, says totality is at around 7:30 in the morning.
here this is what I found for Helsinki
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/finland/Helsinki

We got the same problem here, been overcast all day. where's the wind they were talking about? Just as well, with high winds we are in danger of all those wet oak tress that finally got a drink, and let me tell ya, they were Thirsty
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Oh so its early morning then.... Ok. I guess I will be sleeping at that hour. I'm still up... A friend of mine came for a visit late last night and she kept me awake forever. Doesn't really matter I guess, there's too many clouds here to see anything.
Wiccita

Post by Wiccita »

Still raining here w/thick clouds. :(
Wiccita

Post by Wiccita »

Yay!! The clouds are clearing now. I can see the eclipse starting.

Return to “Working with the Moon”