Blood Moon/Total Lunar Eclipse?

For all things "moon", your guide to magical moon work, moon phases, etc.
bigbinnsy

Blood Moon/Total Lunar Eclipse?

Post by bigbinnsy »

Hiya everyone!

Not sure if this is the right board to post this in but tonight in the UK we're expecting a 'blood moon' due to the total lunar eclipse and I was just wondering what connotations this has within Wicca & Magick and if anyone has any suggested rituals or spells to carry out tonight alongside this.

Sorry again if this is in the wrong place, thanks everyone! <3
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blood Moon/Total Lunar Eclipse?

Post by Firebird »

It's ok, I moved it over here to the Moon section.
There is a couple people asking about this, You're in the UK and it will be partially visible there. We here in the US won't be able to see it. One member is charging stones...
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 36850.html
Blessed Moon to you.
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Some people mention forbidden bodily fluids and no one says anything.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The pop culture, fake media phrase "blood moon" has no significance within Wicca. None. Squat. Our ancestors may have thought the moon was eaten during an eclipse and that's not considered fortunate, if you want to follow that line of thought. In the Celtic calendar, the full moon occurring within the month of the annual culling of a tribes's herd before winter is the calendar reference for blood moon. Pop culture has meaninglessly attached it to the commonly occurring red atmospheric reflection during an eclipse. it is not from craft associations.

If you adopt the "unlucky" meaning then it follows that it is unwise to do any spells during an eclipse.

If you merely observe the moon, consider that it packs a full month's moon cycle into an hour or so. That will have an impact on what ever you plan to do. Speeds things up.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

In the context of a name, this is different like, full -blooded..ok, Blood moon..ok , My blood line is...ok,

…"I use blood in", my own or anyone else's, or other blood speak,
NOT OK Quit being a hard nose Planewalker :evilwitch:
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Just looking to define terms. It is OK for me to replace the dancing around with Blood Brother in "PWMW". That seriously sounds so much better. I don't feel like I'm sounding like a complete dweeb. If I was being a hard nose I'd bring it up in every case I've seen it the last couple days, not the one of two when your on and I could get an answer in the public record. I haven't brought up the swear word or few every month. Different thing completely. I was using swear-o-gees when I should have been using the chance to ameliorate my language. GOT IT !!!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

:wink2: How about bloody minded nincompoop? I'm sure that's ok. (blink-blink)

We are all in offense of derailing the topic. That ought to get our ridiculous chatter trash binned, I hope.
planewalker
Banned Member

Post by planewalker »

My footing is now sure. That's a load off what few working brain cells I have :roll: (blink-blink)(blinkity-blink-blinkity :evilwitch: blink)
If I rub a couple more together, I'll recall that this is the longest lunar eclipse of the 21st Century. The moon produces no light of its own. It shines because the Sun's light is reflected by the Moon. To make a total eclipse the Earth moves between the Sun and Moon. This, of course, stops the Sun's light. To which you say, "What else is new Captain Obvious." Not all the people out there stayed awake in science class like we did. They need a refresher course. They don't remember that the reddish color comes about because of something called Rayliegh Scattering. The rays of the Sun bend through the filter of our Nitrogen/Oxygen atmosphere "scattering" the blue light out into space. The red light is focussed onto the Moon.

If I let The :vampire: Evil ones rub together, I'll remember that The Eclipse charges the sign of Aquarius with all but unlimited power. Mars is at it's highest and brightest so a second dramatic light calls from the sky. It will be a night to remember for those of us with Aquarius as a Sun and Moon Sign and Mars on the Cusp. :woot:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Good to know
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Is anyone doing any planned or spontaneous activity for the eclipse?? Moon's just peaking over the edge here.
EveningWithAstaroth

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

I am charging stones of mine near the open window sill- raining with a breeze- Maybe I'll take the stones outdoors and cleanse?

Along with those I have made an ammendum to my wand with a newly attached bell, so have that for night air charging on the window sill.

I am in the US so will not be seeing the moon, but figured if I bother to do anything at all, tonight is the night.

I am thinking seriously now of giving those stones a storm cleansing. goodnevil
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I'm working my third graveyard shift of this week tonight. Should be interesting to see what the eclipse generates behavior wise.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

The eclipse was at 4.20am my time I am in Western Australia. Thought about getting out of bed to look at it but it was way too cold.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I don't think it was viewable at all from N.America. But we had a partly cloudy sky, which is always fun to watch the shadow play.

When I was doing a search earlier for some ref to the eclipse's path, I spotted a short note that the moon was flanked by Mars (which is visible) making it a war-like astrological influence. Um-mm.

One of my cat's sat outside with me. I had a teeny fire in a fire pot with some pine & a bowl of water to catch some rays. When the moon was high, the opossum came up and just stood looking at me. I was next to his food bowl. So cat &i went indoors so Opie could eat in peace.

I also watched an NBC YouTube about the so-called blood moon and the narrator said the term was a colloquialism referring to the red atmospheric coloring seen during eclipses. Then I tried to watch a "live" video of the eclipse but, y'know there's nothing more likely to put a person to sleep. So I did.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

It certainly influenced behavior on the road tonight. Lots of DUI arrests.
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Working with the Moon”