Moon Experiences

For all things "moon", your guide to magical moon work, moon phases, etc.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Moon Experiences

Post by SnowCat »

This morning's full moon was amazing. I was graced with its presence as I was heading out at the cracks of dark. I don't know if it was lack of sleep, or just a passing illusion, but I saw an echo of something that made me think of Ghost Riders in the Sky. If the radio station had played that song, it would have been perfect. Or maybe creepy.

Anyway, maybe this would be spot for recording moon experiences that anyone wants to share. Or I can just blather about mine as they happen. Cheers!

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Moon Experiences

Post by SpiritTalker »

I love the light of a full moon on a snow covered field, and it's as though the stars are laying on the ground. But it has to be really cold for that effect, which I don't like so much.

I once saw the full moon pulsing slowly from bright, white-light to dimmer, yellow-white light over and over. It was quite surprising and I had to make an effort to close my mouth.

And once when I was ten or so, outside playing just after sunset, the full harvest moon rose so huge it was wider on the horizon than a city block, and orange-Ish. I've never seen another like it.

The last full lunar eclipse I was fortunate to see, that ol' moon turned rusty red for the duration. I caught sight of two meteors at the same time, out of the SE. It was spectacular.

And one thing I have noticed is that the night-before full is generally clear but the night-of is overcast, in my area. So, if I want to work something where I need the Moon's reflection, like for moon water, then I need to plan on working the day before.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I like moonlight on snow, but I really don't like the cold. I remember that eclipse. I drove out to Watkins, and then headed south on Watkins Road to get away from the lights. Buckley AFB had helicopters out observing that night. I think there were some other visitors checking things out too. Just a feeling.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

My across-the-alley neighbor just installed a motion sensitive light that is bright enough to illuminate the whole block! I got socked in the eye looking out my kitchen window, which is directly across from The Confounded Light. I can actually read by the light coming in through the kitchen window when I turn off my own lights. I fear my star gazing pleasures are doomed. I wonder what made him get such a bright one?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

There should be meteors tonight if your area is clear.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

We have so much light pollution, it's really difficult to see the good stuff. Maybe if I wake up at 0300 I can take a look.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hot diggity dog...the neighbor with the obnoxiously bright security light has changed the thing to lesser brilliant light! Must have had some complaints...or couldn't sleep from from the glare.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

My neighbor has a security camera that overlooks my front yard. He also installed a fake owl to scare the woodpecker that is fixated on his house. The woodpecker hasn't given up.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

SnowCat wrote:I like moonlight on snow, but I really don't like the cold.
Me either Snow, not sure how you deal with it. It gets frosty here sometimes.
The Full Moon in December, January or February has the potential to ice up the new grasses that usually sprout becsuse of the winter rain. The moon light hitting the freezing blades of grass makes the best sparkles! :shock: (must be similar to the snow?) Using the moon to backlight your shadowy image would create the most wonderful enhancement of ones aura especially around the head. Amazing.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

:surprisedwitch: Auras by moonlight? Now that's cool!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh yea, it's great and I bet it works in the snow too. ..surely you get snow, eh Spirit? :lol: try it on a full moon, with the moon behind you, observe your shadow on the ground and the light created around the edge of your shadow. There will be a thicker glow around the head. You can walk along the path and see the glow move along with you. It's pretty special.
I keep saying I want to drive up the hill to see the snow every winter, maybe this year...it would be fun for a coven outing. :fairy:
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

It gives me one reason, just one mind you, to look forward to snow. Yes indeed, we do get snow in the Great Lakes areas. (sigh)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I couldn't imagine having to drive in the stuff on a regular basis. One time I got stuck on the way to Yosmite the end of April...wasn't expecting snow then. Thankfully it was a mild and brief storm but I had to wait for the thaw before I could drive out of the valley floor. Chains were like 50 bucks...That's all l had :? That was a looooooooong time ago, had gone to get a summer job, they had booked up the weekend prior, met alot of folks there for the same thing, we were all stuck in the lodge main room. Eh, it turned into a winter wonderland party, Yosmite is beautiful in the snow. 2 days later it melted.
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I already plan to drive my husband's pickup in the snow gets too deep. It's 4 wheel drive with 20 inch wheels. My Durango is really good in most snow, but we can get some wicked drifts. I'm about 10 miles west of where I-70 closes in rough weather.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The main roads get plowed first, then the side roads. You just wait your turn. ... And let something big and heavy make a trail to follow. Ice is much worse. At least snow offers traction. Many are the times I've ricocheted from one curb to the other sledding down the hill we lived on. Getting back up the hill was a gun it and go proposition. The car going up has the right of way...or first bail out rights.

Return to “Working with the Moon”