Black Moon 2014

For all things "moon", your guide to magical moon work, moon phases, etc.
Mistress Venus

Black Moon 2014

Post by Mistress Venus »

Hello all!
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I am sorry if its in the wrong place. :oops: Anyway, I have been looking into moon cycles and found out we will be having a 'black moon' in the next few days. In fact, we will be have the second and considered ''double'' black moon in March. It is my understanding this is a rare thing. My question is, what if anything do you have planned for this event? Does it have any significants in your practice?
Klia

Re: Black Moon 2014

Post by Klia »

Ooooh how exciting!! Can't wait! Thanks for posting.
"The will to do, the soul to dare is yours for the taking if you prepare."
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

To answer the question here, I plan on doing a cleansing bath that evening, then sit outside and do my normal charging my crystals, thanking (and giving offerings) to the elements and Deities. Just absorbing the power I can by this beautiful rare event. I am excited!!!!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ha! I was looking at this and wondered the same. This happens rarely I would think, and we are completely void of dark moon in February. Seems amazing that it would occur again in March. I was thinking of it as a a "blue" dark moon, I have not heard the term black moon.

I'm as open to suggestions as you are ...what could one wrangle in this celestial happening??? what is everyone thoughts on this??? I will be in our spring camp for the one on March 30th, and would like to do something really witchy.

Technically though,...moons that are truly "blue" are the ones that occur within a zodiacal month (from zodiac sign to zodiac sign) not in a Gregorian month, which is the calendar we use today.

BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

This is new to me! :flyingwitch: I've only heard of the second full moon being celebrated. You taught me something new, thank you! :D
Mistress Venus

Post by Mistress Venus »

The term "black moon" has no widely accepted or formal astronomical definition. It is a rarely applied term, but is used to describe at least four different astronomical situations. One of the meanings of black moon is the second new moon in a month. In common parlance, "blue moon" is used to describe the second full moon in a month. However, a blue moon is actually the third full moon in a season.

(Info I got from ehow)
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

New Year's day was the New Moon which I thought was a good omen and this is too as far as I am concerned. Perhaps a year of fresh starts. I didn't realize that it was happening so thanks for posting it. And for February not to have any New Moon is wild. I will probably do something. Make some moon water for sure.
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Some Traditions consider the Black & Blue Moon energies to be 3x's as potent.

The black moon (or second new moon in a month) is considered to be a good time for spells regarding new beginnings and January is considered as the Wolf Moon in some traditions which represents transition between beginning and end. So if you haven't made any New Years Resolutions yet or need to do some goal setting, Jan 30th would be an exceptionally powerful time to do it.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Lunair

Post by Lunair »

I'm defiantly going to try out my cleansing spell that day for the first time!
syngerin

Post by syngerin »

I am so happy to have found out about the Black Moon in time! I think I'll do a Tarot reading for the year ahead, and perhaps light a pillar candle (I have never done it before, but it could be the right time to try it!)
I was also wondering, since I am used to doing knot magic, whether I could "store" its power for another spell. Right now I am not planning to do spells any time soon, but it would be a pity to waste such a wonderful event. Do you think I could tie knots in a ribbon to take some of its power and reuse it later? And what color would be best to use? Thank you very much!
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

We had five inches of snow yesterday and today it's still falling. If it still on the ground for the New Moon I am going to collect some instead of charging water. It's supposed to be really cold all week so it should be here still. :fairy:
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Both of January's moons have been very unique and powerful as far as Im concerned.

I did a spell for the first super moon earlier, not sure what Ill do with this one, as I have some spells planned for once the moon begins waxing again at the beginning of Feb.
Silus7
Location: ~8~nel dominio della padrona acquatica della luna~8~

Post by Silus7 »

I've been looking forward to this! The energy is going to be indescribable I can already feel it ~8~

~*PadronaDellaLuna**~
*MysticUrbanGypsy*

~*Silus7*~
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Several people on tumblr have talked about Ostara pulling on them and that the holiday will be the start of something spiritual. I think this winter, as a follower of Holda, has already been charged up magically. Perhaps the moon's special phases this year are what is charging Ostara with energy it normally doesn't have. It's just a few days after the full moon.
Bran th' Blessed

Post by Bran th' Blessed »

I'm sensing something special, for sure. This Moon, on my lunar calendar, is the 1340th moon of the seventh age of the Sun, and I was born on the 540th moon of this same age,so this is my 800th moon (I'm 64 years old, 8x8), and eight is the number of change and transition. That makes it special for me to begin with. Also, it's a Crow Moon and I was born on a Crow Moon, The Crow is my ally and totem and the Moon is my goddess of choice; I call her Essynia. The full Crow Moon occurs on the 13th Saturday of WInter (March 15 by Gregory's Calendar) and the first day of Ostara will be on the 13th Friday of Winter (March 21) at season's end. Of course the equinox occurs on the 13th Thursday (March 20). I suspect that it will be...an interesting year.

Holda is a very richly detailed goddess, embodying maiden, mother, and crone, protectress of children, goddess of the fields and the hearth, weaver of destinies, leader of the dead and the wild hunt??? That Lady's got a lot of character and wisdom. No wonder that her veneration is so wide-spread, eh?

Bran th' Blessed

Return to “Working with the Moon”