Is Wicca Expensive?I

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
Blu-Luna

Is Wicca Expensive?I

Post by Blu-Luna »

I was reading somewhere in an article that Wicca is an expensive religion. Is this true? Thanks.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Is Wicca Expensive?I

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I don't understand this. There is always supplemental material and the dollar store. Every religion can be or is expensive. So this confuses me.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

What reasons did the article give for the statement, Blu-Luna? I'd think it's like anything else: costs depend on the consumerism of the Crafter and where they shop or if they repurpose what they have. If a person is more shopping mall attuned than to thrift shops it impacts the purse. Finding supplies in Nature costs nothing & using grocery store kitchen herbs costs less than imported rarities we really aren't craft wise enough to properly use.
EveningWithAstaroth

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

Do you have a link to the article? I am merely curious for the sake of having something to read.

Personally, I feel as said by Lady_Lilith any religion can be expensive- have you read of the tools used on a Catholic Altar?

My feelings are, the craft is going to be as expensive as one makes it. Some people would rather buy their goods for their craft inexpensive, but there are actually others whom are not bothered by paying more for a few things.

Personally, I use local herbs and ingredients that I wildcraft for much of my spellwork, and also I do a lot of sigil work- which requires nothing more than pen, paper, and my imagination.

As far as what I do for tools I'll need- I like to hit the local thrift shops. I've found about 3 sets of two chalices- one for male counterpart and one for female counterpart for 7 dollars. 3 of which cost a dollar, and a small metal cup set came with a small tray to stand on the whole set being 3 dollars. Altogether totaling the seven dollar range.

I also found a handblown glass centerpiece shaped like a ball- possible scry ball- for about 3 dollars.

IMO, it depends on the individual whether or not their craft becomes expensive or not- while it can be and some prefer it that way, it doesn't have to be.
Siona

Post by Siona »

Blu-Luna wrote:I was reading somewhere in an article that Wicca is an expensive religion. Is this true? Thanks.
It can be, but it doesn't have to be. In my practice, I tend to use fewer tools than traditional Wicca, but I've spent a fair bit of money on a few of them, or on nice altar statues of deities. (Although, I have been practicing for over a decade, I didn't go out right away and drop a ton of money all at once.) Other tools I made myself, and the only cost was for things like wood wax, etc. Some of my more recent workings used things like paper from the brown paper bag my dinner delivery came in, dirt and herbs I gathered myself, a candle that cost 75 cents, and a pen I found lying around. Not really something that would break the bank.

As another example, there's a store near me that sells a deck of playing cards for a buck, you can learn the card meanings on Google, and you have a cheap divination tool. Or, you could drop 70 bucks on a deck of tarot cards and several books on the subject. Or, go somewhere between the two, spend 15 bucks on a tarot deck and learn to read them free online. There's a lot of options. You absolutely can drop a ton of money into learning Wicca or witchcraft, but you don't have to. You can do it completely on a super cheap budget, work out what you'd rather spend a bit more on, etc., it's all down to you. There are some guide books and whatnot that will have you buying tons of supplies, decide if that's something you really feel is necessary or not. Don't be afraid to look at alternatives.
Blu-Luna

Post by Blu-Luna »

I was confused on the article myself, is why I was wondering because I feel Wicca is nature and nature is not expensive. I will try to find the article. Thanks for all of your replies.
Blu-Luna

Post by Blu-Luna »

I found it, but I don't know how to copy it or paste it. I tried and it went to a very wrong site. Please try typing in The Odessey Online, "The Common Misconceptions of Wicca".
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Wicca/Witchcraft is, in my opinion, the least expensive portal to spiritual enlightenment. We subscribe to no dogma, have no real property to support, offer our teachings free of charge and our material is openly available across the web and you will only need a few good books on our history and practice. Wicca might be considered a religion by some and not by others as there are as many traditions of our practice and way of life as there are Wiccans and Witches. We are free to do as we will and there is no right or wrong way to practice our Craft so long as we harm none. I am a Witch and do not consider my practice a religion but rather it is a star gate into Ethereal Realms. Any magickal tools you may wish can be hand crafted or purchased from flea markets or yard sales and simply re-dedicated to your application.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

Like others have said it's as expensive as you make it. Yes it can all be about nature but acquiring it can be either expensive or cost nothing depending on what is in your area. Myself for instance have needed to buy certain things so that I could craft what I wanted. For instance IV bought lavender plants so I can gather and grow it because there isn't any wild where I live, my wand I had to buy to wood online as the type I wanted wasn't available where I am, crystals IV bought because I'm both unable to identify them raw and natural and that there isn't anything near by where I could find them. IV still spent my own personal time to craft my wand and staff out of those natural elements but a knife to carve still costs, the crystals to bind to it costs along with the natural twine but the carving decoration didn't cost anything, the feathers I found to attach to it didn't cost anything. It's all about what you can get your hands on and how creative you can get
Blu-Luna

Post by Blu-Luna »

Thanks so much for answering my lame question, but I was just curious. The article read that she was interested in Wicca, but never pursued it on count of #expensive, #2 fear, #3 negative misconceptions by society.
So maybe my second question should be: Is there anything I need to fear from magic ? I figure her 3rd reason will not affect me too much as I do not know that many people and I am not telling anyone if I do decide to follow this path because it is my business and mine alone. Thanks so much everyone for your thoughtful answers, it means a lot to me.
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

When people ask me about it I just say I'm spiritual, that's alot more accepted than pagan or wiccan as a Christian person can be spiritual without it being sacrilege or Satan worshipping. I'd say the only thing to fear is going down a darker path, where you may encounter things you'd rather not but you have toactively be seeking darker things for that to happen it isn't going to happen by accident
Blu-Luna

Post by Blu-Luna »

Thanks for your reply Ashrend! I am a light soul, so I am pretty sure I'll be okay. My biggest fear would be to anger God, but I do not believe that the god depicted in the Bible and I definitely believe in a female Diety as well. So I am really working on the fears instilled in me, like not worshipping another God, etc. I do not believe in hell tho, more like I would be cut-off from God. I will no doubt have a ton of questions to ask before I am done and I am thankful for all of you who take the time to answer me and never make me feel stupid.
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

I believe in two god's, Hekate and Herne, the goddess of the moon , the crone, the maiden and the mother and Herne the god of the forest, essentially green man. I only believe in these because I've had experiences that have made it apparent that they r real. I don't believe in hell but I hope there is a heaven if sorts. I like to think it's hard to offend the god or gods, as they are higher beings they understand we aren't perfect, that we can make mistakes. The important but is trying to understand what we have done wrong and do what we can do not let it happen again. The gods and goddesses might represent certain aspects but I don't think they expect us to act a certain way to please them , they want us to be happy and to grow and learn from are mistakes. I believe in the akashik records so I believe I have had past lives as different beings and after this life how well I've lived it and what knowledge of gained is what helps decide what I will be next
Blu-Luna

Post by Blu-Luna »

Thanks Ashrend for your reply! It really helps, thanks!
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

Any time x

Return to “F.A.Q.”