How to find your path

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
Paige.Werefox

How to find your path

Post by Paige.Werefox »

I’m trying to figure out, I feel drawn to wicca, but someone had said wicca don’t do protection spells because protection spells, you have to dabble in dark magika, is this true? I feel drawn to Mother Nature as well.
barker

Re: How to find your path

Post by barker »

Protection is indeed just ego > god.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

On the contrary, a decent protection spell is the witch's submission to divinity. It's a statement of humility, that you can't protect yourself without help from God.

Ego is thinking you're stronger, purer or more well off by yourself and have no need for protection.

Intention is what matters. You can cast protection spells and be good, or bad.

I like Mother Nature.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

What Wiccans generally do not do is deliberately set a spell to harm. Deflection and transmutation of energies are the preferred methods of protection. I would guess that most Wiccans probably do the common protection spells such as personal shielding, casting circles, consecration, drawing boundary ward symbols, using the ever popular witch bottles or witch's ladder for protective intent, placing of salt & herbs at entrances, smudging with white sage to remove undesirable energies, charging protective seals, spells to thwart the evil eye, wearing a pentacle & return to sender or reflective mirror spells.

There are many pagan paths, and anyone can use magical practices, regardless of religion or none at all. Get an over view of different paths & investigate the one that teaches what you want to learn, not what you already know.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

It is indeed possible to remain positive and do any type of magic spell. A spell is a tool. A scalpel can be an instrument of mercy in the hands of a surgeon, a murder weapon in the hands of a sociopath and for the rest of us an instrument to cut your meat at dinner. If you use it on your cereal you lose your milk and probably cut your tongue. It just depends on how you chose to use the tools set to your hand. It is your intent that determines the positive or negative outcome of your energies.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Ego? A statement of humility or submission? Another consideration ...

In ancient Celtic Christian tradition, still firmly attached to its pagan antecedents, recorded protection prayers are often curious, seeming to hold many similarities to the much misunderstood ancient tradition of the "brag" (meaning boastful yet also spirited or bold) - less obsequious then the humble prayer we tend to think of - bolder, a statement of aid or aegis; empowerment, certainty that such protection was with them.

A very pagan prayer; both the old deities and the Celtic Christian God it seems favoured the bold.

So was this ego? I don't think so, this summoning of spirit into the veins, their deities brought alive within them, stiring their blood, girding them; less "please don't let this happen" more "this shall not happen". Its power was in its conviction; "god" was with them.

It wasn't whistling in the dark, ego as we tend to think about it, submission nor humility; this was the donning of their spiritual armour. It remains, both magically and psychologically a very sound practice.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

There is nothing like using the Craft with self confidence. It fills the spirit with purpose. Let the things that are right and meaningful lead you. Intent is all.
egregorewitch

Post by egregorewitch »

Insightful discussion on this thread. Blessed be
CircusWitch

Post by CircusWitch »

You can always pick and choose. Just because you feel drawn to wicca doesn't mean you have to follow the bits you disagree with. I know many self identified Catholics who are pro gay marriage, and that's followers of a religion kinda rooted in strict rules.

Return to “F.A.Q.”