Eating meat..?

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Re: Eating meat..?

Post by Seraphin »

LoneWhiteWolf wrote:I agree with Myrth, we have these teeth for a reason.

Im a nature worsphipper too like many others her, however i do believe in The Great circle of life from The Lion King!

Mufasa: "You must respect every living being. From the crawling ant, the the leaping Antelope"
Simba: "but dad, dont we eat the Antelope?"
Mufasa: "Yes son, but when we die, our bodies become the grass. And the Antelope eat that grass. And so we are all conected in The Great Circle of Life"
To all carnivore, herbivore, and omnivore like myself! WE ARE ALL CONNECTED IN THE GREAT CIRCLE OF LIFE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibiNy4d4gc
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Amefurin

Post by Amefurin »

How about when we are not seeing being vegetarian as a requirement for religion but for all the witchy things we do.
Like energy work, mediation etc.
Many people claim that when you work with energy or do reiki for example you need to be vegetarian.
Apparently it makes your body more pure and work with energies and life force easier. I find that many people agree on this.

Do you think that's true?
If I eat meat am I going to be less successful at those things because I am somewhat tainted?
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

I eat meat. Yet, I heal. I do a lot of healing. I predominantly use Reiki. I also use herbs and crystals. I have been blessed to witness great miracles of healing. I do not believe my energy channeling is at all hampered by eating in the way I am intended to eat.
Myrth
Arianna Kigyosy

Post by Arianna Kigyosy »

The most important is respect the food, both the meat and the plants. So, we must understand we shouldn’t lavish it. I think the most terrible what we can do whit a living being to kill it unnecessary. If we kill them to eat them is not a sin, it’s the natural order of the life.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Amefurin wrote:How about when we are not seeing being vegetarian as a requirement for religion but for all the witchy things we do.
Like energy work, mediation etc.
Many people claim that when you work with energy or do reiki for example you need to be vegetarian.
Apparently it makes your body more pure and work with energies and life force easier. I find that many people agree on this.

Do you think that's true?
If I eat meat am I going to be less successful at those things because I am somewhat tainted?
I'm familiar with that concept. And perhaps there is truth to it, but to be honest, I haven't noticed any difference in my work since becoming a vegetarian a year ago.
There are people who believe hunger helps clarify the mind. Like if you need a solution, you need to meditate for days and not have any food, not only refrain from eating meat.
I don't know if you've heard of Beinsa Dunno, who's followers eat only boiled wheat and apples for months at a time to purify their bodies. And when you read his books, it all makes sense, to be fair. Yet, I believe this is up to the person. If you believe your food purifies your body, then it probably does. I know of people who cured themselves by eating certain foods and not eating other foods. The power of the mind is a great thing.
UPB3ATMAGIC

Post by UPB3ATMAGIC »

Yeah, that makes sense. If an animal has a bad life and is full of bad energy, I can see where consuming it would give you that energy.
ezzirah

Post by ezzirah »

I eat meat, but I do try to get grass fed, ethically raised meat as I can afford it simply because I think it is the ethical thing to do. I don't feel it effects my energy either way. Now sugar on the other hand...WHOA...that does a number on it. I think the most important thing is a "whole foods diet". Avoiding sugar, processed crap food and the like. At least for me.

Blessed Be!
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Many native american tribes (back in the old days) would perform rituals of gratitude after killing their prey. They understood that we are all connected and by consuming the deer, they become the deer and absorb it's qualities of stealth, endurance etc. Many tribes would hold up a piece of their meal to the east, offer thanks then bury it. Other tribal cultures (past and present) have rituals involving the killing and consuming of meat. We don't appreicate our meat as much as our ancestors did. They hunted for their food, if they didn't kill anything they didn't have meat to eat (and most of them were not farmers so they couldn't just whip up a salad instead). The animal sacrificed it's life for them to live.... and it was held sacred. In this world of modern convenience and general apathy toward the treatment of "lower lifeforms" we've lost this appreciation. Eating isn't sacred to most people anymore (and I'll be the first to admit I'm guilty of this). Thank you for starting this thread! It's given me a lot to think about and a realization that I need to make some changes about how I approach my meals.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Personally, I do eat meat, but not nearly as often as most Americans today. When I do eat meat, I try to buy meat that is ethically produced, and I am striving towards being able to raise and butcher my own meat in an intentional community. Homesteading of a sort. I usually pray (silently or out loud), thanking the animal for its sacrifice. Death is part of the circle of life--something must die for something else to live (even if you're vegan, you kill plants, and even if you are fruitarian you probably live in a house or use something made out of wood which came from a tree, which had to die so that you could have shelter). This isn't something we need to feel guilty about, but it is something I think we ought to be in touch with. I am grateful for the sacrifice of the animals I eat, and I would not eat them if I was not absolutely certain that I am psychologically capable of killing and butchering my own animals for meat.
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

I've been hesitant to post in this thread since I feel like the odd one out, but I'm going to anyway. :P

I was vegan for nine years and I've been vegetarian now for almost 1, who still eats 95% vegan. I feel most comfortable this way and I highly doubt I will begin eating eat again in this lifetime. For me personally, I do find it related to my spirituality (which is druidry)- but my main reasons are outside the spiritual sphere. I'm happy and healthy this way.

But I don't concern myself with what other people eat or how they eat. It's not my business, and I always appreciate the same courtesy in return. :)
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Those that manage to be vegetarian/vegan. I admire. I do feel bad, but I enjoy meat. I feel it's natural. Plus, for my health, I think it's better. I'm naturally underweight, and just knowing myself...I'd never keep my weight up if I didn't eat meat. I'm quite thankful for the animal providing it. I'm don't like milk or eggs, or even that much cheese. I drink milk once in awhile. I've actually discovered I really like dark chocolate almond milk. So I've drinking a lot of that for calcium. :)

I wish people would let others live their lives. I agree, how or what others eat shouldn't matter.

Oh...and a thread like this quoting the lion king! <3
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

no worries Syelraedhel, we all have different paths doesn't make one better than the other. I tried going vegan but I guess I'm too much of a carnivore!
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
PsychicMeena

Post by PsychicMeena »

In nature, the wolf hunts the lamb. The lion hunts the fawn. And the spider kills and eats the fly. This is nature, and it's a beautiful yet sometimes cruel thing. However, these are the realities we must face and accept. Not that I condone the torture or the unethical treatment of animals, but I know I must eat them in order to be truly nourished and sustain myself. I once attempted to be vegan for two years straight, and it got me very ill. I had low blood count and was not able to do the things I loved to do, because of the low energy from the diet. As soon as I nourished myself with some protein, I became myself again.

I feel all life is precious, and the animals that I consume, I am thankful for their sacrifice. I never waste any of my meat and make sure it is consumed and used appropriately. I know one day when I will pass from this life to the next, I will become food for the earth, bugs, insects and various bacteria and fungi. This is part of nature. It is beautiful and cruel.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Well in my belief, I accept the idea of a vegetarian diet, though dependent on one's mindfulness and intention: The radical vegetarianism based on the idea that we have no ethical right to kill animals isn't acceptable in my personal view as PsychicMeena said, animals and their meat are given to us to be truly nourished. Some beats and birds are here to become our food and sustenance.

Though I also approve the vegetarianism for aesthetic or health reasons; indeed, that I perosnally think we should all pay attention to health issues related to a meat-centered diet. Some points to consider include the contemporary increase in dis-eases in animals created by manufacturing and farming conditions, and the administration of growth hormones, antibiotics and other synthetic substances and drugs given to animals. All of these may be possible health risks to us.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

Seraphin wrote:Well in my belief, I accept the idea of a vegetarian diet, though dependent on one's mindfulness and intention: The radical vegetarianism based on the idea that we have no ethical right to kill animals isn't acceptable in my personal view as PsychicMeena said, animals and their meat are given to us to be truly nourished. Some beats and birds are here to become our food and sustenance.

Though I also approve the vegetarianism for aesthetic or health reasons; indeed, that I perosnally think we should all pay attention to health issues related to a meat-centered diet. Some points to consider include the contemporary increase in dis-eases in animals created by manufacturing and farming conditions, and the administration of growth hormones, antibiotics and other synthetic substances and drugs given to animals. All of these may be possible health risks to us.
Health reasons are very true! Of course, it is very possible to have a well-balanced meat diet, but it is also possible (and easy) to have a well-balanced vegetarian diet. I have people all the time commenting on my nutrient levels. Goddess forbid I feel tired one day, because I will no doubt be told it's because I don't get enough protein/iron/etc.- it couldn't possibly be because I only had 3 hours sleep :P I have a current category 1 aviation medical which is the same level airline pilots have, and as such I can say beyond doubt I am in the prime of health. I've never had a nutrient deficiency on a blood test (even when I was vegan for 9 years).

It is my one big pet peeve. I very rarely have anyone criticize my CHOICE to be vegetarian- but I have people make comments on my health and nutrient level all the damn time.

Anyway, it's nice to see people acknowledge that vegetarianism can be a healthy choice- and often people choose vegetarianism for health reasons. Of course it takes a conscious effort to note your intake and get enough of what you need, but the same can be said of diets including meats. I can't eat a diet of peanut butter and toast just as someone else can't eat a diet of McDonald's every day, without missing some key nutrients.

Return to “F.A.Q.”