How Do You Become a Witch?

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
Alexander_Osorio

How Do You Become a Witch?

Post by Alexander_Osorio »

This might sound kind of stupid but how do you become a witch? Because I heard from a Wiccan that's it's a ritual.
Last edited by Xiao Rong on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title from "Magic" to be more descriptive of the question
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How Do You Become a Witch?

Post by Xiao Rong »

Well, as with many questions about Paganism and Witchcraft, it is commonly said that if you ask a dozen witches the same question, you'll get 13 different answers.

It depends on what you believe a Witch is. Here are a few possible definitions:

- A malevolent magic user, usually female (sometimes with green skin and warts who flies on a broomstick -- hey, can't deny some people believe this)
- Someone initiated into a particular tradition of Witchcraft / Wicca (as your friend told you)
- A wise woman
- A free and independent spirit
- Someone who practices magic and witchcraft (which also has its own whole list of possible definitions)
- Anyone who wants to call themselves a witch

If you believe that a Witch is someone who is initiated into a particular tradition, then yes, you will need a lot of studying, contact with a coven, and an initiation ritual after you've met their requirements. On the opposite end of the spectrum, some believe that all you need to do to become a witch is to call yourself a witch. (In my humble opinion, a witch is someone who speaks truth to power even if it makes her unpopular and uses her knowledge to heal and help others. That's what I aspire to be! And all I had to do to become a witch by my own definition was to start doing those things. Never did a ritual or anything like that.)

So really, the question is less about how you become a witch, but about what you think a witch is, or what you hope to accomplish as a witch. Then you can go about tackling the question of how to become one.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Siona

Post by Siona »

Alexander_Osorio wrote:This might sound kind of stupid but how do you become a witch? Because I heard from a Wiccan that's it's a ritual.
I wonder if there isn't a little confusion about terms here? There are many types of witches, and not all of them are Wiccan or at all related to Wicca. As was mentioned, some traditions of witchcraft requite you to be initiated into them, but there are any forms of witchcraft that do not have that requirement. As far as Wicca goes, it's the same thing, many of the more traditional forms of Wicca require initiation, but not all do.

So, broadly speaking, the ritual of initiation itself does not make one a witch, it simply makes one a witch of whatever particular tradition they were initiated into. If you think of a witch as someone who practices witchcraft in any of it's forms, then that is all it really takes. Like Xiao Rong said, it sort of comes down to what definition of witch is being used.
Zale

Post by Zale »

I believe coming into witchcraft or paganism whether traditionally or not is a very personal thing. I wouldn't view anyone who has or has not been through initatory rites any greater than the other. It all boils down to personal conviction and practice
Alexander_Osorio

I finally found out what my definition of a witch is, but what I'm asking what would be best for the first practice ?
Siona

Post by Siona »

Well, I suppose that depends a lot on what you think a witch is, and also what you hope to gain from your practice?
Alexander_Osorio

Can you explain just a bit more
Siona

Post by Siona »

You mentioned that you found out what your definition of a witch is - what is it? What is a witch to you? People become witches for all different reasons, they may seek out a specific tradition that matches their goals, there are different practices to seek out depending on what you are personally looking for - why do you want to become a witch? What are you hoping to get from it, what goals do you have?
Alexander_Osorio

I had always loved nature. Nature can be a cruel and nice thing to go there, but is that how most humans are. We weren't created to be perfect but unique. Why? Because I see so much that can be offered in this world. I always had a sudden connection with it, but know I want to feel and life it. I want do things that normal people aren't able to do. My definition of a witch is a person who loves nature for what it is and binds with it and doesn't harm the life of others.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

One custom is to study a year-&-a-day so you know what you’re getting into before self-dedicating/pledging which has spiritual ramifications. Treading the Mill by Nigel Pearson is a good how-to on traditional (regional) witchcraft vs. modern, Gardnerian Wicca circa 1950.
. Some things to get acquainted with are the concept of both a Goddess and a God of Nature & that they represent cosmic functions; the elements 🪨💦☁️🔥, & basic spells like bottle, candle, cords/knots, sigil; honor the full moons; add-on by following your interests
. Practice making psi-balls between your hands to raise energy; pull power on the breath to the belly, push from the gut & out your hands 👏🏽; move hands back & forth to feel the energy
. Build a starter kit and a work space; it might include an altar/shrine, or not. Basic supplies - 🧂, 💦🥣, 🕯& 🥢incense
. Simple circle: cleanse, bless, cast - start & end each pass at north; sprinkle lightly salted-water 🔄; light🥢incense; pull power to the belly, point-&-push 👉🏼 from the gut to cast ↩️; that’s it. Salt & H2O bring earth & water elements, burning incense brings air & fire. Invite divine presence as desired, thank & farewell them when finished. The circle dissipates when walked through. Use a circle for reverence, meditation, spells.
. Create a daily routine of meditation/prayer, gratitude candle or any other enhancing practices, especially reading

Return to “F.A.Q.”